Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

07-22-2018

Switzerland

12 Signins

106 Page Views

• Views: 106
  • Message 1 of 3

Advice for best MS Hyper-V performance on P71

2018-07-22, 17:43 PM

Hi all,

Just about to press the button on a high-spec P71 that I will use primarily as a portable lab to learn and support my Microsoft-using customers. Most of the MS labs have several Hyper-V virtual machines configured and can make heavy demands on RAM (I configured 64GB) and on hard disk performance.

I configured my new P71 with 2 x 1TB SSD PCIe TLC OPAL2, so have the option to use RAID 1. My question is, which is the best approach?

1) Configure RAID 1 and place all VMs and Windows 10 on the system drive or
2) Place Windows on the first drive and carefully distribute the various VMs across bot drives

I am not bothered at the loss of 1TB by configuring RAID 1.

Trying to get a feeling where any bottlöenecks might be? PCIe interface, SSD transfer speed?

Any advice appreciated.
Richard

Options

553 Posts

10-03-2011

Canada

2893 Signins

14770 Page Views

• Views: 14770
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Advice for best MS Hyper-V performance on P71

2018-07-23, 17:54 PM

PCIe SSDs are fast enough not be a bottleneck in any practical circumstances.

Especially, if you're not worrying about loss of 1TB, meaning that sizes of these VMs are small (with NVMe speeds exceeding 1GB/second, writing 1TB of data is less than 10 minutes).

I'd leave as individual drives, and you'll likely see bottlenecks elsewhere, depending on the software used.  I/O to disk is unlikely to be a problem at all, even with the usual SATA3 SSDs. 

P.S. You may want to check the Microsoft's documentation about sector sizes though, about all these VHDX and 512/512E/4K sectors, which does make a difference for very I/O heavy VMs. A software/primitive RAID-1 controller is likely to be more of a hidrance here than help.

Options

4 Posts

07-22-2018

Switzerland

12 Signins

106 Page Views

• Views: 106
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Advice for best MS Hyper-V performance on P71

2018-08-13, 9:01 AM

Thanks for the useful input! The machine has arrived now and I've lef it with individual drives.

And yes, it's vastly faster than the PC it is replacing!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms