Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

06-10-2017

United States of America

2 Signins

21 Page Views

• Views: 21
  • Message 1 of 10

Automatically Enable Backlit keyboard on Lenovo P51s?

2017-06-10, 2:46 AM

Hello, I'm enjoying my new P51s. Configured with PCIe SSD, etc it is a very nice work horse to say the least! Battery life is great. 12 hours of solid work with no issue. I have the large second battery.

My question is can I have the back lit keyboard come out either automatically or just simply be on all the time? It works fine to us the Fn+space but I'd rather it takes care of it's self and I can work happily!

Answer
Options

11977 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40271 Signins

423959 Page Views

• Views: 423959

Re: Automatically Enable Backlit keyboard on Lenovo P51s?

2017-06-10, 6:20 AM

With "Lenovo Settings" application, you can turn automatic operation on or off, but if it is off, I believe backlight is off at startup.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Replies(9)
Answer
Options

11977 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40271 Signins

423959 Page Views

• Views: 423959
  • Message 2 of 10

2017-06-10, 6:20 AM

With "Lenovo Settings" application, you can turn automatic operation on or off, but if it is off, I believe backlight is off at startup.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

1 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

3 Posts

06-10-2017

United States of America

2 Signins

21 Page Views

• Views: 21
  • Message 3 of 10

2017-06-10, 12:35 PM

Thanks for that answer. That's what I was looking for.

Options

88 Posts

06-08-2017

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

259 Signins

4133 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 4133
  • Message 4 of 10

2017-06-11, 15:35 PM
Is this how you keep the back light from automatically turning off?
P71 Xeon E3-1535M v6, 64GB RAM, NVIDIA P5000 GPU, 1TB Samsung SM961 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD x2, EM7455 WWAN
Options

9 Posts

01-20-2018

Portugal

23 Signins

206 Page Views

• Views: 206
  • Message 5 of 10

2018-03-02, 11:25 AM

Hello,

I have searched in Lenovo Vantage application, but i can't find that option of turning backlight automatically ON when i power up the laptop.

Can you indicate the exact place of this configuration ?

Many Regards,

Silvestre

Options

13 Posts

01-27-2018

Germany

52 Signins

509 Page Views

• Views: 509
  • Message 6 of 10

2018-06-10, 13:20 PM

Hi SMalta,

you should consult this post, as it adresses your question in detail.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/can-i-configure-backlit-keyboard-on-a-P51-to-be-always-on/m-p/3949273/highlight/true#M72076

For the best of my knoledge there is at the moment no option in Vantage APP to startup with activated backlight nor to automatically turn it off while PC is inactive.

however this can be introduced by using an auto hotkey script AHK as mentioned in the link above.

bregs

Ruffy

Options

1 Posts

09-30-2020

United States of America

2 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 7 of 10

Re:Automatically Enable Backlit keyboard on Lenovo P51s?

2020-10-14, 6:03 AM

Is there a solution for the L13 models with this issue of the backlit keyboard not staying lit?

Options

10904 Posts

09-04-2014

Slovakia

32914 Signins

1225765 Page Views

• Views: 1225765
  • Message 8 of 10

2021-04-15, 13:22 PM

Hi,

I'm putting these here to get the information out in public that the backlight turning off is working as designed when the system enters a sleep state or is turned off and does so to avoid unnecessary battery drain if not connected to a power supply or should the power supply become disconnected, the backlight does use a fair amount of power. This is a topic which surfaces from time to time, and the product teams are aware of it, however there are currently no plans in the pipeline to change the behaviour. The ease of turning the backlight on manually has always been considered the lesser evil to returning to an unresponsive system due to a, potentially unbeknownst to the user, drained battery.

Andy

English Community Administrator
Lenovo eServices

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by awarding them a Thumbs Up

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

11 Posts

02-16-2018

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

30 Signins

267 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 267
  • Message 9 of 10

2021-04-16, 3:50 AM

@ Andy_Lenovo wrote:

Hi,

I' putting these here to get the information out in public that the backlight turning off is working as designed when the system enters a sleep state or is turned off and does so to avoid unnecessary battery drain if not connected to a power supply or should the power supply become disconnected, the backlight does use a fair amount of power. This is a topic which surfaces from time to time, and the product teams are aware of it, however there are currently no plans in the pipeline to change the behaviour. The ease of turning the backlight on manually has always been considered the lesser evil to returning to an unresponsive system due to a, potentially unbeknownst to the user, drained battery.

I'm sorry Andy, but this is not the answer that us users want to hear.  "working as designed" GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!

Absolutely, the backlight drains power if left on.  So it should time-out, as the screen does.  But then it should turn back on when the user resumes inputs.  This is how many other manufacturers implementations work.

It simply is not acceptable that we have to manually turn the backlight on yet again, every time we boot or resume our laptops.

Lenovo product teams need to just do the correct thing and fix this.  We've all been posting about this continuously, since forever... As you hinted at.  It's absolutely illogical.  And there's nothing a user despises more than irrational, illogical features or behaviours that they bump into ever single time they turn on their laptop.

The backlight should remember the state it has been set to by the user.

The good product teams will then add the additional feature to have the backlight timeout, such that it doesn't drain the battery unnecessarily, and restore when the user returns.

Just fix this PLEASE!

Options

4 Posts

06-18-2018

United States of America

5 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 10 of 10

2021-05-28, 12:27 PM

@ Andy_Lenovo wrote:

Hi,

I' putting these here to get the information out in public that the backlight turning off is working as designed when the system enters a sleep state or is turned off and does so to avoid unnecessary battery drain if not connected to a power supply or should the power supply become disconnected, the backlight does use a fair amount of power. This is a topic which surfaces from time to time, and the product teams are aware of it, however there are currently no plans in the pipeline to change the behavior. The ease of turning the backlight on manually has always been considered the lesser evil to returning to an unresponsive system due to a, potentially unbeknownst to the user, drained battery.

The Toshiba I replaced with my P51 would automatically turn off the backlight after a period of non use and turn it back on when a key was pressed.  The Toshiba also had a utility that would allow me to configure this activity differently under different power modes, ie plugged in or not.  It would seem since other manufacturers have solved this  issue, Lenovo should be able to also in order to keep their customers.  It was a very small pivot point for me to purchase this Lenovo over a competitor, why would you want to pivot it back?

I had a Hotkeys script that use to accomplish this (x320Backlight.akh) but one of the Lenovo updates has made it ineffective and the link from your website has been removed.  It would seem that Lenovo has decided that they know better what their thousands of customer want that we do.

I would sure like to be able to have a "Personal Computer" again that I could set up like I want.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)