Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

26 Posts

08-15-2019

United States of America

33 Signins

559 Page Views

• Views: 559
  • Message 1 of 6

Availability of SSD Utility for NVME drive in ThinkPad P72?

2021-05-28, 17:03 PM

Hello,

I have a ThinkPad P72 (Type 20MB) with an internal 512GB NVMe drive (LENSE30512GMSP34MEAT3TA)

Many SSD vendors have a utility that can manage the drive, monitor its status, and upgrade the firmware. 

Does such a tool exist for Lenovo systems using this drive?  All I can find on Lenovo's site is a utility to update the firmware.

Many thanks for any assistance rendered.

--

Anthony

I am neither an employee nor an agent of Lenovo. I ONLY recommend Lenovo systems WITH 3-year ON-SITE warranty for all my customers!
Options

4491 Posts

12-02-2007

United States of America

9203 Signins

202703 Page Views

• Views: 202703
  • Message 2 of 6

Re:Availability of SSD Utility for NVME drive in ThinkPad P72?

2021-05-29, 12:10 PM

Hello,

There are a few tools that are relevant to your ThinkPad P72:

Commercial Vantage is a newer and slightly different version of the Lenovo Vantage app that originally shipped with the ThinkPad P72.  As the name implies, it contains more enterprise-focused features than Lenovo Vantage, which is more geared towards consumer use.  Prior to installation, you must first uninstall the Lenovo Vantage app by right-clicking on it and selecting Uninstall from the context menu that pops up.

Once Commercial Vantage is installed, it can update the ThinkPad's drivers and firmware, just like Lenovo Vantage (or the older Lenovo System Update did under Windows 7).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP50 (20EN-*)P51sP72 (20MB-*)P43sS230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)X1e gen3X1 Yoga gen 5X12 gen1X13 gen1Yoga 370

Communities: English Deutsche Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Język Polski Moto English

Need an answer, fast? Try using Browser Search to find it in the Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

26 Posts

08-15-2019

United States of America

33 Signins

559 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2021-05-29, 18:39 PM

Hello Aryeh,

Thanks for the information about Lenovo Commercial Vantage.  I actually like the UI much better than Lenovo Vantage!

Both Lenovo Vantage and Lenovo Commercial Vantage already update the firmware for the LENOVO NVMe  drive.  So that's not really a problem here.

But, as I have already said, many SSD vendors have a utility that can manage the drive, monitor its status, and upgrade the firmware.   Lenovo can update the firmware, but doesn't have any real capabilities to manage the drive or monitor it's status.

For example, consider the Crucial Storage Executive utility used to manage their drives. The attached screen shot of this utility illustrates the many features available to the user. 

I cannot find any such tool for LENOVO NVMe drives.  Perhaps we can ask that such capabilities be included either in Lenovo (Commercial) Vantage or in a separate utility?

I hope this feature request can be raised for further consideration.

--
Anthony

I am neither an employee nor an agent of Lenovo. I ONLY recommend Lenovo systems WITH 3-year ON-SITE warranty for all my customers!
Options

26 Posts

08-15-2019

United States of America

33 Signins

559 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2021-05-29, 22:39 PM

Aryeh,

Although it does not manage the LENOVO NVMe SSD, the Intel Memory and Storage Tool { Download Intel® Memory and Storage Tool (GUI) Here ) provides a great deal of what I seek.  It actually helps me manage the other NVMe installed on my ThinkPad P72!

Please see the attached screenshot.   I think it would be really nice if Lenovo had such a tool!

--

Anthony

Options

7262 Posts

10-29-2009

United States of America

17929 Signins

168595 Page Views

• Views: 168595
  • Message 5 of 6

2021-06-01, 18:51 PM

The short answer is that there is not any Intel-like tool for the "LENSE" SSD.  Different suppliers have different tools for their SSDs, but I don't think you need any of them.  Take a look at CrystalDiskInfo which can get you the raw info from the NVMe (according to NVMe specifications) such as temperature, SMART health status, power cycles, power on hours, etc.  Between these statistics, the firmware-update capability of Vantage, and the diagnostics from Aryeh's link, may I know what more you are looking for?

Options

26 Posts

08-15-2019

United States of America

33 Signins

559 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2021-06-01, 21:48 PM

Hello someotherguy,

@ someotherguy wrote:

The short answer is that there is not any Intel-like tool for the "LENSE" SSD. 

So, I gathered.

Different suppliers have different tools for their SSDs, but I don' think you need any of them. 

As I've already said, other suppliers have one tool that monitors and manages the device and can update the firmware.

Take a look at CrystalDiskInfo which can get you the raw info from the NVMe (according to NVMe specifications) such as temperature, SMART health status, power cycles, power on hours, etc. 

Thanks for the info! I will look into this.

Between these statistics, the firmware-update capability of Vantage, and the diagnostics from Aryeh' link, may I know what more you are looking for?

As my post has indicated.... one tool from Lenovo that monitors and manages the device and can update the firmware.

--

Anthony

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms