Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

10-25-2008

Rochester, NY

25 Signins

261 Page Views

• Views: 261
  • Message 1 of 4

BIOS Update 1.15

2008-10-25, 19:04 PM

So i'm wondering if anyone has been able to install the BIOS Update 1.15 successfully?

I am running Vista Business 64bit  so i needed to use the bootable CD method. I downloaded the disc image and burnt it to a CD-R (not the file, but as 'burn image to disc') using Roxio Creator. In my existing BIOS (v1.13) i moved the CD drive to #1 in the boot sequence and made sure the 'allow flash BIOS' option was enabled (it is by default).  Then i restarted the computer with the CD in the drive. The CD spins up and brings me to a black screen with a flashing underscore in the top left corner of the screen. After about 5 seconds the CD spins down and does nothing, the black screen remains for several minutes until i loose patience, remove the CD and hit ctrl alt del.

Another odd thing about this update is that despite being over 23MB, the iso file seams to contain nothing. There are no internal files listed when i open it in WinISO and no files shown on the CD after i've burnt the image onto it. Perhaps i'm doing something wrong with the disc image?

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

W500 4058-CTO : T9400 : 4GB DDR3 : 2GB Turbo : 320GB Seagate 7200.3 : WUXGA : Vista Biz x64 SP2
Options

4096 Posts

01-05-2008

Germany

22159 Signins

317315 Page Views

• Views: 317315
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: BIOS Update 1.15

2008-10-25, 20:17 PM

Hello,

why you want to update? Is there a specific problem?

Otherwise I would suggest not to change a running system, cause bios updates always are a little risky.

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using Lenovo Yoga C930, ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th Gen. Silver Edition, ThinkPad 13, Yoga 900, ThinkPad T460s, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Options

7 Posts

10-25-2008

Rochester, NY

25 Signins

261 Page Views

• Views: 261
  • Message 3 of 4

2008-10-25, 20:42 PM

The problem I'm having is likely the same problem every W500 owner is having with the ATI Mobility FireGL v5700 which is not recognized or supported properly by the system. I read in another thread that the available BIOS update helps fix this issue. I am rather disappointed that Lenovo is shipping hardware that isn't even supported yet, but my disappointment would dissipate if I could just get all my hardware working in unison on the latest drivers meeting my expectations for the fast, stable, state-of-the-art computer I thought I was buying.

I appreciate your concern for the risk involved, but I would appreciate solutions to the problems even more.

Thanks

W500 4058-CTO : T9400 : 4GB DDR3 : 2GB Turbo : 320GB Seagate 7200.3 : WUXGA : Vista Biz x64 SP2
Options

218 Posts

09-05-2008

Cleveland, OH

60 Signins

1049 Page Views

• Views: 1049
  • Message 4 of 4

2008-10-27, 18:31 PM

The 1.15 bios update doesn't fix the misreported V5700.

Make sure you're burning it with something decent like IMGBurn.

You shouldn't see any data on the disc.  It is using the "floppy emulation" feature of a booted CD and storing all of the data files inside that virtual floppy.  Said virtual floppy doesn't normally show in an iso image.  You'd see it with ISOBuster though.

Note that there isn't anything wrong with your video card.  It is simply being mis-identified by Windows.  Any fix they release shouldn't have any bearing on performance of the card, as the drivers are still treating it like a FireGL card.  The card is just identified incorrectly in device manager, which is simply a matter of a text string in a .inf file.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms