Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit our eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

02-15-2021

Israel

7 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 1 of 10

[BUG] Lenovo P1 Gen3 lagging after connected/disconnected from docking station

2021-02-15, 7:58 AM

Hi,

I've been using the P1 for a few weeks now and noticed a consistent issue when connecting and disconnecting the laptop from its docking station.

Once I do this, the resolution will automatically change since I use different resolutions on my external monitors vs. the laptop's monitor, and different text scaling (125%, 150%).
At this point, all apps' windows will match to the new settings as expected (some will stay blurry btw, but this is for a different bug), but for some reason, the laptop will become very laggy / choppy, like when it happens when 100% CPU is consumed (but it's not).

The text I type is printed slowly, every window is opened frame by frame and not fluent as before, even when clicking the taskbar it opens slowly...
The only way I found to fix this is to log-out (or reset) and log in again with the docking station disconnect or connected already.

I have few other teammates who suffer from the same problem. We all use ThinkPad's genuine docking station and power supply.

Is anyone else suffer from the same bug? Any idea how to fix this?

Thank you,

Beepi

Solved! See the solution
Options

1847 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

204 Signins

9556 Page Views

• Views: 9556
  • Message 2 of 10

Re:[BUG] Lenovo P1 Gen3 lagging after connected/disconnected from docking station

2021-02-15, 10:18 AM

Hi Beepi,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Make sure you have the latest drivers/firmware for the Docking station you have. If the docking station has a power button, then you can try to do a reset of it by following the step below:

- Unplug the dock from power and from the computer. 
- Hold the power button on the dock down for 45 seconds. 
- Plug everything back in.

Apart from that. I'd suggest trying to disable USB Selective suspend in the power settings.

Checking The Advanced Power Options. 
- In the Search function type : Control Panel
- From the View By: select Large/Small Icons. Then Select "Power Options".
- Click "Edit Power Plan" for the plan of your device.
- Select "Change advanced power settings"
- Find and expand "USB Settings"
- Make sure the "USB selective suspend setting" is set to "disabled"

- In the event the docking station is connecting through Thunderbolt, check for the latest Thunderbolt drivers for your device on the Support Page.

also try to turn off "Fast Startup" in the power settings:

- Navigate back to the "Power Options" main window.
- In the left column, click "Choose what closing the lid does"
- Click "Change Settings that are currently unavailable"
- Unmark "Turn on fast startup"

(This does not affect Restarting the computer), but when it starts up again from sleep and/or hibernation.

If these possible solutions don't help solve the issue, then I'd suggest making sure you have the latest BIOS, Chipset, Serial I.O and Management Engine Interface drivers for your device:
You can find and install the newest drivers from the Lenovo Support Page
Just plot in the serial number of the device, click the search icon and select your device, then head to Drivers & Software, select Manual Update, then select the BIOS and Chipset section
Right click the files in question and select "Run as Administrator".
**Note: Make sure the AC adapter is connected and that you have at least 30% battery charge when performing BIOS updates.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

7 Posts

02-15-2021

Israel

7 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 3 of 10

Re:[BUG] Lenovo P1 Gen3 lagging after connected/disconnected from docking station

2021-02-15, 10:41 AM

Thank you Voithos for your quick response.
Unfortunately, this is a more fundamental bug, therefore none of the solutions you offered is going to solve this.
This is a brand P1 Gen3 laptop with all the latest updates. This is also not an issue that can be fixed with an OS setting...

I believe this is not really a docking station issue, I believe the same bug happens when connecting the laptop via HDMI, although I never confirmed.

I am looking for more professional assistance here, maybe @someotherguy could assist as he did great with the latest "System Update 100% CPU" bug in a different thread (I had the same bug and the latest update fixed it)

Keep in mind that I know other people with the same laptop are experiencing the same issue.

I'm willing to share any logs before/after the issue happens to help you debug, just let me know what exactly you need.

Thank you

Options

7 Posts

02-15-2021

Israel

7 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 4 of 10

2021-02-15, 11:13 AM

I kept digging and came across a different thread on the X series forums where people mention the exact same issue, even P1 owners replied there...

This seems to be an issue with the integrated graphics drivers of Intel... When switching monitors there's an issue between the discrete graphics and integrated graphics...

I confirm that disabling and re-enabling the Intel Graphics drivers provides a workaround that fixes the problem...

Could you please investigate this further and fix this?

The full conversation here: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-extreme-screen-lag-on-quot-second-screen-only-quot/m-p/4475674?page=6#4561850

In that thread, it was mentioned that this issue was fixed in version Intel Drivers version 27.20.100.8587, but this is before the initial release of P1 Gen3 Intel drivers...

Options

7 Posts

02-15-2021

Israel

7 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 5 of 10

2021-02-17, 6:25 AM

up

Options

7 Posts

02-15-2021

Israel

7 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

2021-02-18, 12:34 PM

@Serene_Lenovo @Andy_Lenovo maybe you know anything?

Is there any official place I can report this bug other than this forum?

Options

10217 Posts

09-04-2014

Slovakia

32786 Signins

1217240 Page Views

• Views: 1217240
  • Message 7 of 10

2021-02-19, 14:20 PM

Hello,

Considering the P1 Gen 3 and X1E Gen 3 share the same BIOS, Chipset and graphics drivers I would expect to be seeing more reports concerning this issue on both Gen 3 systems and the thread you point to is from before the Gen 3 was released and is therefore not really relevant to the system currently in question. You also don't state exactly which docking station you are using, nor which cables and how the devices are connected which could also be important factors.

If you wish to create an official bug report you need to call support and open a case. 

Andy

English Community Administrator
Lenovo eServices

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by awarding them a Thumbs Up

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

7 Posts

02-15-2021

Israel

7 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 8 of 10

2021-02-19, 14:34 PM

Thank you Andy.

I mentioned in one of the replies that this was actually not related to the docking station itself, but to the situation where a monitor is connected/disconnected.

This is not a specific monitor issue, nor a cable issue as I am experiencing this with different types of monitors and cables. And my team mates experience the same with different setups.

I'm not saying the post I was referring to is the exact same problem, but it shares similar characteristics.

But you missed my main point - disabling and enabling the Intel Graphics drivers fixes this, so this is definitely related to the the integrated/discrete graphics switching process.

Options

7 Posts

02-15-2021

Israel

7 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 9 of 10

2021-02-21, 15:53 PM

For whoever reading this thread and experiencing the same issue.

I opened a ticket today and since I'm eligible for premiere support the tech team responded to me very quickly.

I was told this is a known issue for P1 and other laptops, the current solution offered by Lenovo is to switch the setting in BIOS for the graphics card to "Discrete", this will disable the integrated Intel graphics card and will solve the issue.

Although this is not a perfect solution, I understand that Lenovo can't fix this without Intel's assistance.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

3 Posts

01-12-2021

Germany

3 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 10 of 10

2021-02-25, 6:51 AM

Even if it feels like I'm a bit late, I just discovered a similar problem with Intel-Nvidia combination on my Laptop and may help you here.

First of all, the blurryish windows are part of Windows itself, rightclick on the app you wish to "de-blurr" and on settings play around with compatibility as "high DPI settings" and disable full-screen optimization (im sorry, my windows german, so my translations may vary from your experience). Worked like a charm for all of my blurry windows yet.

Now the tricky part. I experienced some simliar occasions without a dock, so this may not help, but its worth a try. I figured that it has mainly to do with power consumption and that is, that the CPU has a turboboost that consumes more power than lenovo would assign to the CPU resulting in the GPU lacking of maximum power due to the physical power limit. If anything you have, feels like this, there is a chance. ( Btw, get rid of the autostarted "Lenovo Display Optimizer", I dont know why, but this also caused my mouse to lagg )

The key tool is the Intel's original Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility. Sounds gross, we won't use it for overclocking, but for underclocking. In its settings for the core, you will find the "Turbo Boost Short Power Max", mine is set on 51W on standard, while Lenovo seems to propose 47W at maximum. Long story short, I completely disabled Turbo Boost Short Power Max, and set my Turbo Boost Power Max on around 30W for testing - This may also vary for your Laptop, a too low value will immediatly cause your system to lagg a bit more, a too high value won't have impact. There are also videos around, explaining alot more than I can here. After I spent 2 month looking for it, my computer runs smooth as f*** now. I'm sorry if that doesn't help, but it looks like a note-worthy alternative to completely disabling integrated graphics - specially as there is no such option for my T15 I fear.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms