Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

08-17-2015

United States of America

5 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 1 of 5

Black screen when starting up. Doesn't show bios or Lenovo Logo

2019-06-24, 13:53 PM

Was working on my laptop last night and everythign was fine. Came back and tried to wake my p50 from sleep and it wouldn't wake up. No hard drive light showing activity, just the slow throb of the power button showing the computer was asleep. Hitting the power button to wake from sleep doesn't do anything. Holding it down for 10 seconds turns the machine off but when I turn it back on I don't get the Lenovo logo or any post information. Also don't feel any air from the vents.

Guessing this is bricked but anyone have any suggestions?

I have pulled out the battery and drained all the power from the computer. I do not have anything plugged into the computer and have tried rebooting both on battery power alone and plugged in but get the same response.

Thanks!

Options

12317 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40508 Signins

427409 Page Views

• Views: 427409
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Black screen when starting up. Doesn't show bios or Lenovo Logo

2019-06-24, 14:43 PM

There are several things to try before declaring it "bricked".  If it were mine, I would first unplug it and remove the battery and then the bottom cover.  DO NOT TRY THIS IF YOU HAVE AN UNKNOWN BIOS (SUPERVISOR) PASSWORD.  Disconnect the CMOS (coin-cell) battery under the rear cover on the right side.  Press the power button a couple of times to drain capacitors and try again.  If that didn't work, I would pull all the RAM and turn it on to see if you get the 3-3-1 (no RAM) beep code.  No beeps is not good, but if you get beeps, try 1 DIMM at a time in different slots.  Bad RAM can cause hanging.  There are other things to try so post back if those don't help

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

1 Posts

06-16-2020

United States of America

3 Signins

100 Page Views

• Views: 100
  • Message 3 of 5

Re:Black screen when starting up. Doesn't show bios or Lenovo Logo

2020-06-16, 22:59 PM

Hi Rich,

I have confronted similar black screen problem on my Thinkpad P40. I only have 1 RAM slot and when I pulled it out I could hear the beep. I switched a entirely new RAM and I still could not get through to the thinkpad logo or enter Bios. I have run out of ideas,  could you give me some advises?

In case it helps, the all lights turn on and the thermal fun works hard and I could feel a little bit heat from the top of cpu and the integrated gpu while I could not feel any difference from the top of dedicated gpu.

Thanks alot.

Options

104 Posts

03-09-2018

India

36 Signins

903 Page Views

• Views: 903
  • Message 4 of 5

2020-06-19, 12:10 PM

You might have upgraded your computer operating system, software or hardware and encountered the following problem "after boot, the computer starts with a blank or black screen".

Kindly follow the troubleshooting steps below that may fix this kind of issue:

Perform Power Drain

1. If the laptop's battery is external, remove the battery first. Then continue to next steps. If the battery is unremovable, go to step 2 directly.
  2. Unplug the AC adapter from the machine.
  3. Press and hold power button for at least 10 seconds.
  4. Reconnect the AC adapter and try to turn on the machine.

Regards,
Adrian Gates
System Administrator
Options

3 Posts

02-17-2018

United States of America

3 Signins

19 Page Views

• Views: 19
  • Message 5 of 5

2021-06-20, 4:24 AM

This is not helping, I am facing the same issue and still I dont see anything.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms