Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

25 Posts

11-06-2017

Romania

62 Signins

339 Page Views

• Views: 339
  • Message 1 of 2

Choosing a P52 configuration: is there one with better cooling assy?

2018-11-14, 22:26 PM

Hello,

I wanted to upgrade my PC last year when I saw that P51/P71 seemed to have a design issue regarding the cooling assy.

Regarding the P52: there are people that try to get a clear answer/confirmation whether the P52 has a reworked cooling mechansim or not. Such an answer doesn't seem yet available, but I didn't see a lot of complaints about temperature issues w/ P52, including from people that did do specific tests (such as this review). Which lets me think that maybe P52 has no more heating issues?

My question: I understand that there are 4 types of cooling assemblies available for the P52. If I'm not mistaking, 2 of them with 2 coolers and another 2 with only one cooler. Does anybody know 1) which assembly corresponds to which config and 2) if a particular assembly performs better?

I'm still hesitating between the i7 and xeon. And if one of them (in conjunction w/ a aparticular graphics card) is better, then I'd go for it.

As for the most powerful graphics card (P3200). I might find it useful (e.g. for TensorFlow / deep learning w/ CUDA), but to be honest, I'd be affraid to let the system run for hours at full performance of the graphics card. And this is because of all what I read about the p51/71 heating issues, that became bigger and bigger with utilisation.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Cristian.

Options

6 Posts

04-08-2019

Australia

8 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Choosing a P52 configuration: is there one with better cooling assy?

2019-04-13, 6:15 AM

P52's cooling is insufficient and loud. The bottom part of the computer is always disturbingly hot. This results from a combination of the intel gen 8 chip in it being very hard to cool down and the laptop cooling design not actually being appropriate, imho.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms