Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

76 Posts

09-19-2008

United States of America

137 Signins

743 Page Views

• Views: 743
  • Message 1 of 8

Digital Audio output for W series - Alternatives

2009-11-17, 18:43 PM

There's a thread talking about the displayport does not have audio-output.  Its true and some people get victimized by ill-trained sales people who think their displayport is standard.  There's no literature on Lenovo website warning users about the audio issue either - such thread is closed with the fact that (some) other manufacturers in the same period does have have audio either and Lenovo think they should be in the same boat.

Let's not go into the blamish again, but discuss what we can do with existing options with alternative digital audio out and line-in that the W series really really missed.

We have (1) mini-dock and (2) USB soundcard listed as options

I currently use a USB DAC (digital to analog) system and it do really good in terms of stereo music enjoyment.  However my particular system does not have digital manupilated sound like 3-D surround or multi-channel output and not suprisely, laptop USB generally produce greater latency than desktop USB ports.

Besides USB, we have 1394 and express card 34 as expansion options.

What's your setup for digital audio out?  Anyone know any internal soundcard that fits the slots of Wireless USB/Turbo memory PCI ports that all W-series have?

Options

10 Posts

09-19-2009

Toronto, Canada

12 Signins

187 Page Views

• Views: 187
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: Digital Audio output for W series - Alternatives

2009-11-17, 21:15 PM

Other alternatives include

I know on mackbooks I've seen firewire used as an input for a Weiss Dac if you're into two channel audio.  Do any reiceivers take firewire as an input for hometheater?  Has anyone tested Firewire outputs on their W series?  I'm told that firewire is sometimes preferable to USB, I'm not sure why this would be, can USB support passthrough of DTS encoded signals?

In the case that firewire works and you Do not have a firewire source, maybe something like this would be of value  It converts firewire to digital coaxial s/pdif and allows passthrough of DTS and AC3.

http://www.m-audio.com/images/global/manuals/FireWire-Audiophile_Manual.pdf

As I'm into audio the critical thing here (and what you're paying for when you purchase blue-ray, is maintaining the digital information from the disk in an unconverted form.  You want a direct bit pass through, and you want as little jitter introduced to the signal as possible.  You most certainly don't want the sound card getting in the way, Digtital to Analog converting and then reverse packaging it up and putting it out over the soundcard digital out.  My problem is I'm not familiar enough with computer audio to know how exactly the sounds is transmitted from your blue ray drive to the digital interface you've chosen.

Anyone know why USB digital out would not be a prefered method?

Moderator note; comment removed which contravened forum rules

Options

9380 Posts

11-27-2007

Slovakia

15518 Signins

2040239 Page Views

• Views: 2040239
  • Message 3 of 8

2009-11-17, 21:15 PM

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Options

10 Posts

09-19-2009

Toronto, Canada

12 Signins

187 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2009-11-17, 21:24 PM

What forum rule did I contravene?

Options

76 Posts

09-19-2008

United States of America

137 Signins

743 Page Views

• Views: 743
  • Message 5 of 8

2009-11-17, 22:03 PM

USB is the most easy way to transfer digital out of the box (laptop) right now.  Wow we actually have similar taste - I go with DAC1 but the USB jitter often gets in the way when computer is running something.  (for data transfer 1394 is indeed very stable)

I also notice that the two USB ports at the left side of W700 is extremely noisy while the other three at the right is so-so.

However I cannot have digital audio to HD Screens and they do not support any surround, 3D, etc.  I also dont' felt like carrying the 1.5kg big chuck of DAC1 when the W700 itself is massive already for travel.

Options

10 Posts

09-19-2009

Toronto, Canada

12 Signins

187 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2009-11-17, 23:18 PM

"However I cannot have digital audio to HD Screens adn they do not support any surround, 3D etc."

I hadn't thought about this,  Ok so I believe my Dad's Pannasonic has a digital input and an HDMI input and you can configure the audio to be read via the digital in while watching video from the HDMI input, but that might be a minority of cases. 

The reason I suggested the M-audio box above is that it seems to allow pass through of digital audio so you could send it into a receiver to be decoded.

Incidentally the DAC1 is a great affordable (well for the audio game) solution.  I've heard it directly against a Weiss Dac.

I guess the issue here is, how do you reunify your audio and video into an HDMI output since the display port is broken and won't let you play audio?  Does anyone have a solution for that?  I normally think in terms of just trying to get digital audio out on it's own as I have recievers.

Options

1 Posts

07-10-2012

1 Signins

28 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2012-07-10, 18:58 PM

I have a W701ds and have finaaly got ditial audio out of it.

I am using the Lenovo supplied DVI to HDMI cable. DVI end is white HDMI is black.

I purchased a HDMI amp and Splitter so I could have a Toshlink ditial out. worth the money cause it finally worked!

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20distribution%20amp_splitter%202%20port.html

I connected everthing to the HDMI amp. Turn on my external monitor [FN+F7} mode (projector or copyor extented

***note if you have a DS model you must close the side monitor).

Go in the the volume adjust and right click on it and pick play back devices. Set the SPDIF Interface as your default sound.

And the the dital sound come pumping out. With no delay and it can come form all sound souces dvd itunes what ever.

Options

962 Posts

11-05-2009

United States of America

1291 Signins

17542 Page Views

• Views: 17542
  • Message 8 of 8

2012-07-11, 2:41 AM

Weird.... I had a W520, and the Display port had audio with the adapter I am using. Haven't tried my W530 yet, because I need a new adapter.

Just a volunteer. Please post your questions in the forum, as I will not reply if they are sent in a personal message.

Yoga 14(20FY): i5-6200U, HD 520 + 940M, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Ubuntu 18.04
Yoga Home 900(27ibu): i7-5500, HD5500 + 940A, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Windows Insider Fast
X1 Tablet (20GH): m7-6Y75, 16GB RAM , 256GB NVMe , Intel® HD Graphics 515
Legion Y530(15ICH): i7-8750H, 32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe + 500GB SSD, UHD 630 + 1050Ti
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms