Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

101 Posts

11-02-2008

California

263 Signins

1610 Page Views

• Views: 1610
  • Message 211 of 232

Re: Displayport to HDMI with audio'm o

2009-09-19, 21:47 PM

When I ordered my W700 I explicitly asked the Lenovo phone rep if their DisplayPort implementation would provide me the same benefit as a typical HDMI-- stating to the rep that I was ordering a Bluray drive option ($450) and would be using the machine to connect to home theater equipment and to presentation equipment. I was referred to an engineering article posted on one of Lenovo's blogs that discussed DisplayPort and its benefits-- AND they explicitly stated in that blog that both video AND audio over DisplayPort was in fact one of the main benefits of the technology.

I did not need this feature for some months after receiving the unitl, but sure enough, as soon as I tried to connect the machine to various LCD and Plasma TV's and a couple of high-def projectors I discovered what everyone on this thread already knows-- Lenovo was far from truthful in their sales and their written marketing on the W Series products with respect to the DisplayPort.

When I brought this to Lenovo's attention I was told it was an engineering limitation which was imposed upon them by Intel. Upon contacting Intel and reading their Whitepaper on DisplayPort I quickly learned that this was also not true. There was NO TECHNICAL REASON why Lenovo could not have included digital audio output via their DisplayPort. So much for truth in advertising.

To this day, if you go to the Lenovo website and order a W series product there is no mention of this HUGE LIMITATION. Nor is there ANY WARNING that if you buy their expensive BluRay drive option that you will have no way to output the multichannel digital audio streams unless you purchase and lug around a $300 mini-dock.

I don't know about the rest of you, but this isn't over for me. This was and still is an example of false/misleading advertising and customers should not have to go digging through forums like this in order to learn the plain truth.It is nearly a year later BTW, and NOTHING has been done to warn buyers or make things right with existing customers.

Is Lenovo hiding this information from prospective buyers becasue they realize what a massive screw-up they made but still don't want to lose sales? I'll let the rest of you decide that for yourselves.

Options

10 Posts

09-19-2009

Toronto, Canada

12 Signins

187 Page Views

• Views: 187
  • Message 212 of 232

2009-09-19, 23:39 PM

Hey Glen,

No such luck on having them fix it.  They confirmed it wasn't possible.

Options

12 Posts

02-19-2009

Turkey

27 Signins

121 Page Views

• Views: 121
  • Message 213 of 232

2009-09-20, 7:00 AM

can you forward that Email you received Shion?

thanks

AydinA

Options

10 Posts

09-19-2009

Toronto, Canada

12 Signins

187 Page Views

• Message 214 of 232

2009-09-28, 17:35 PM

Sent the relevant parts minus actual names.

Cheers

Options

101 Posts

11-02-2008

California

263 Signins

1610 Page Views

• Views: 1610
  • Message 215 of 232

2009-09-28, 18:38 PM

Shion,

I've been a long-time poster on this thread and know this issue inside and out. I spent over $5k on my W700 and would have had serious second thoughts had I known that Lenovo had not properly implemented their DisplayPort adapter. I would very much appreciate it if you could send me the same redacted email you sent to the other forum member so that I might have a more meaningful discussion with my customer service rep with respect to this issue.

This otherwise excellent notebook has suffered from a series of, IMO, preventable issues that should not have been allowed to happen in the first place:

1- gimped DisplayPort

2- flexy keyboard (which I replaced with a solid backed T61 version)

3- no digital audio outputs unless you purchase and lug around a mini-dock (which I reluctantly did)

4- grindingly slow CF card reader (which Lenovo made good on after I provided them extensive CF card test results)

Thank you.

Options

2 Posts

09-29-2009

London

2 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 216 of 232

2009-09-29, 20:48 PM

Shion

Can you forward that email you received? Thank you.

Jabroni999

Options

64 Posts

02-20-2008

Bay Area

299 Signins

1635 Page Views

• Views: 1635
  • Message 217 of 232

2009-10-01, 10:42 AM

I, too, would like to receive the email. This is a multimedia powerhouse, and the most expensive Thinkpad ever made. I have had 12 laptops in the last TEN years, ALL of them Thinkpads. Lenovo made a mistake, but it looks like they're not nearly as good at customer service, as opposed to the IBM days.

I find it strange enough that there is not simply an HDMI port on it, and the reason being that Lenovo is too cheap to pay some licensing fee? I thought, alright, whatever, I'll just buy whatever adapter I need. And then I find out that their DisplayPort is flawed and doesn't even carry audio??? Gulp...What?

I thought this was a joke first. I bought THREE of these! Seriously, Lenovo, nobody checked the machines out that everything is functioning properly? Takes TWO minutes to run a cable between a laptop and an HDTV. Well, maybe three because I have to put some DP to HDMI adapter on the darn thing.

I was lied to as well, by the way. When I initially called in to Lenovo's outsourced "customer service" in India or the Philippines, the guy puts me on hold because he doesn't understand English. Then I canceled my third order, and even have MULTIPLE emails stating as much, and all of a sudden, I get an email with a UPS tracking number. @#@$%^&* No way! So next, I call to cancel demanding a full refund (every last cent) for the shipped machine. I have proof (emails) from at least TWO different representatives confirming the cancelation and was directed to simply not to take possession of the shipment by UPS. I'm getting SO mad writing all of this. :(

At any rate, it took THREE WEEKS(!!!) of back and forth with Lenovo and UPS, after yet another Lenovo rep told me that my credit was issued, that it takes 2-3 business days to show up in my account. I was relieved at that point, only to check after 3 days, then 4 and 5 days, still no refund. So I called Lenovo back yet again, and yet another rep (I must have talked to half of their customer service staff) that it had not been credited, and that in fact, it was nowhere to be found. I don't have it. UPS said (after an exhaustive search) that they sent it back to North Carolina, and Lenovo, yes, good guess, they said they received nothing,

My girlfriend is an attorney and she has the "play-by-play" as well. She kept asking me when my third W700 would finally be refunded. Yesterday, I missed two calls, one from Lenovo, and one from UPS. They both spoke on my voicemail that they had finally "found" my package, and asking as to when and where I want it delivered.

As I finish writing this, at 3:26am Pacific Time, I am staying up to return their phone calls right when business hours start for Lenovo in North Carolina (it's already 6:26am Eastern there), so as to demand that they issue my REFUND, which has been promised to me by email, telephone, voice mail, etc., after FIVE weeks (from order date to now) that this shipment, WHICH SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN.

I hope that this will be done this week, now that I am furious to the point where I will call both Lenovo and UPS every day to ask for an update. Every day! I have never had ANY of this, I mean anything REMOTELY CLOSE to this, happen to me.

I am writing this on my 2nd of TWO W700's, with no DP/HDMI audio, but that's ok I guess. The 3rd one had better be refunded A.S.A.P.

Options

76 Posts

09-19-2008

United States of America

137 Signins

743 Page Views

• Views: 743
  • Message 218 of 232

2009-10-01, 12:16 PM

My case is slightly better than yours thinkpads4life.

It too me an entire week of phone call everyday to UPS, Lenovo, even Bank of America to change a corporate shipping address that bear the same company name.

That BOA stuff is simply rediculus - they ask me to add my company into "primary address" of my check card that most of us know that's simply impossible to have two adress.  (or possible with much hassle)

Well they never did it.  As for Displayport I overlook it so there's no email or solid proof that I can do.

At least the notebook is not a crap.

Options

10 Posts

09-19-2009

Toronto, Canada

12 Signins

187 Page Views

• Message 219 of 232

2009-10-01, 15:30 PM

Alirght I give, to all those interested the Sales Guy basically sent me something saying the following.  I actually tripple checked and phoned the guy after this and said "As per our last email HDMI includes audio" at which point he told me "absolutely sir".  

It's not hard to believe that there might have been a problem or difficulties making their timeline in implementing the audio and releasing the product.  You can also see how marketing might not even have been aware of the limitation.  What I find objectionable is that they admit it could have been "misleading", hell their own sales people didn't even know, but refused to take responsibility for their mistake and make amends.  I really shouldn't have to have pushed.

And it was a mistake, even if they had intended to cripple their top of the line W series box and remove basic functionality available in the majority of their cheaper models, they should have been absolutely clear about it.  And who would have conciously made that design decision?  I'm guessing they likely didn't even know about the problem before they started shipping the boxes.  But telling the customer, your tough luck you didn't specifically ask whether or not the display port would work.  Is exactly like telling me "your tough luck you didn't ask whether the HDMI port did audio".    Of course you would assume it would unless they told you otherwise. 

I think if you call in and speak to anyone rational this should be pretty self evident to them.  Anyone else had resolution from Lenovo?

Incidentally anyone know when the fix to this problem is coming out (aka the i7 series laptops?)  I note that other laptop companies have theirs out, so hopefully it won't be long.

Hi *****,

Sorry please note that the W500 doesn't come with an HDMI Port for
Video and Audio but a Display Port, in which there would be a cable
that can allow you to plug HDMI, but unfortunately we don't sell it, I
would ask any Lenovo reseller, or even Best but, future shop...etc...

Please find the details of your quotte below:

Options

2 Posts

09-29-2009

London

2 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 220 of 232

2009-10-04, 16:18 PM

Note:

A cheap solution to this, that is, if your TV has this function...

DP to HDMI adapter to supply your HDTV with video ($12.99)

A cable to go from your earphone out on your laptop to the red/white composite ins of your HDTV (? but cheap)

This only works if you have an HDMI/DVI port on your dish (looks like a regular HDMI port). On mine I have three HDMI ports. The middle one is HDMI/DVI and right beside that is the red/white ins for audio.

Yes, it is not the greatest as it is analog, but it is better than either nothing, or spending a fortune on various cards to perform the same task

I have a Lenovo W500. Retailed for $2800 when it came out with my selection of hardware. I paid much less as I purchased from a different source.

All in all, a great laptop, but do to the terrible customer support and being lied to, I should have purchased a Dell or HP. I will never buy another Lenovo product for myself or my business.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms