Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

27 Posts

01-20-2019

United States of America

57 Signins

434 Page Views

• Views: 434
  • Message 1 of 7

Dolby Atmos License of P52 Expired

2020-11-15, 10:14 AM

Hello Guys,

I have a ThinkPad P52 with pre-installed Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision Apps. After upgrading to Windows 10 build 2004, I install the Dolby Access App from Microsoft Store, and the Dolby Access depicted that I need to purchase a Dolby Atmos license for future use. How can I re-activate the Dolby Atmos without purchase a standalone license?

Answer
Options

6857 Posts

10-29-2009

United States of America

17789 Signins

165258 Page Views

• Views: 165258

Re:Dolby Atmos License of P52 Expired

2020-11-16, 16:47 PM

Atmos (or whatever was preinstalled on your P52) should continue to work.  Are you saying this is not the case?  Dolby Access is a different app, so you would have to pay for it.

Replies(6)
Answer
Options

6857 Posts

10-29-2009

United States of America

17789 Signins

165258 Page Views

• Message 2 of 7

2020-11-16, 16:47 PM

Atmos (or whatever was preinstalled on your P52) should continue to work.  Are you saying this is not the case?  Dolby Access is a different app, so you would have to pay for it.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

27 Posts

01-20-2019

United States of America

57 Signins

434 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2020-11-17, 2:38 AM

Thanks for your clarification.

What's the difference of the Dolby Atmos that in the Dolby Atmos App and the Dolby Access App? I found that the Dolby Access also enables the feature of Dolby Atmos.

Options

6857 Posts

10-29-2009

United States of America

17789 Signins

165258 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2020-11-18, 15:14 PM

Dolby Access has some additional features, but I don't know all of them.  You may need to ask this question to Dolby if you need to know the details about all the different apps they offer.  Just being honest with you, the various Dolby software offerings are very confusing.

Options

2630 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11228 Signins

60671 Page Views

• Views: 60671
  • Message 5 of 7

2020-11-18, 16:56 PM

One of the things Dolby Access (not free, but $15 for 10 device licensing) facilitates is "Dolby Atmos for Headphones". Once installed this will add a new additional "Dolby Atmos for Headphones" value to the SPATIAL SOUND formats available you can choose when configuring SOUND. This gives you more specific customization options for sound quality (and in particular really does support Dolby Atmos for headphones, when headphones are plugged in and in use). When laptop speakers are being used I don't think you'll really notice Dolby Atmos, but the enhanced EQ capabilities afforded by Dolby Access are still worthwhile. 

For example, here is the "Dolby Audio" GUI on my P70, as implemented through the Realtek HD Audio driver for that machine:

And here is what is called "Dolby Audio Premium" on my T495:

And here is the more precisely customizable "Dolby Access" that gets installed when you buy it, and is available on all machines:

Right-click on SPEAKER in notification area, select Sounds from the popup. This presents the old SOUND dialog showing available audio devices. Select the PLAYBACK tab to show available audio devices.

Then depending on how Realtek or other audio is offered in your particular Thinkpad, and whether or not there is one or two sound output devices offered, select that output from the list which corresponds to headphones. If there is only one common audio device and it's already selected as the DEFAULT, you can simply push the Properties button to enable "Dolby Atmos For Headphones". But if there is a separate second audio device specifically for headphones, you select it first in order to light it up to allow then being able to push the "Properties" button so as to enable "Dolby Atmos for Headphones".

For example, on both my P70 and W530 the headphone jack simply is activated when you plug in headphones to the 3.5mm jack.  But regardless of whether your sound is coming out of the laptop speakers or delivered through the headphone jack there is still only one common audio device, and it appears simply as one "Speaker/HP" item in the list. it is Realtek HD Audio that supports both types of sound output. Both of these are older machines with more conventional Realtek implementation.

But my newer T495 handles sound differently through Realtek. The speakers appear as one audio device named "Speaker". And the external 3.5mm jack is a separate second device named "Realtek HD Audio 2nd Output".

Anyway, once you have the PROPERTIES button available for pushing on whichever audio device supports headphones, push the PROPERTIES button. Then push the SPATIAL SOUND tab on the resulting Properties dialog. then select the dropdown arrow on the "Spatial Sound Format" to get the list, which will now be offering "Dolby Atmos for Headphones". And you can select and OK your way back all the way out.

You can also enable "Dolby Atmos for Headphones" even for the primary speaker audio device when there is a unique secondary audio device for headhpones (e.g. as is the case on my T495). I believe this will facilitate the enhanced EQ capabilities even for the laptop speakers, although I'm not sure you'll be able to hear much of a difference as you will when using good headphones.

Options

2630 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11228 Signins

60671 Page Views

• Views: 60671
  • Message 6 of 7

2020-11-18, 17:05 PM

The SPATIAL SOUND tab of the Speaker Properties dialog is only available when the audio device is actually usable so that you can also push the "Set Default" button, and which therefore also enables the PROPERTIES button which when pushed presents the Speaker Properties dialog.

This will be the case for primary speakers, as well as for the secondary headphone device is present on your laptop model.

Here is how my T495 looks, without headphones plugged in. I have "Dolby Atmos for Headphones" selected for the speakers, really just to allow using Dolby Access for the speakers, in order to get the improved enhanced EQ capabilities. Not so much for true Dolby Atmos "object-based" sound that I can hear, which is clearly not really possible with the tiny speakers in the T495.

Options

27 Posts

01-20-2019

United States of America

57 Signins

434 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2020-11-18, 22:50 PM

Thanks for your clarification!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms