Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

2924 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11510 Signins

63476 Page Views

• Views: 63476
  • Message 21 of 28

Re: Early P70 First Impressions

2016-01-15, 14:06 PM

wrote:

I've always felt I should have one of these colimiters anyway, as I have a number of monitors and a number of PCs.

So yesterday I bought this X-Rite i1Display Pro gizmo.  It will be here by tonight.

Let's see what it can do with the P70 1920x1080 IPS screen.

Ok. Installed the commercial iProfiler software that comes with the i1Display Pro colorimeter, and used it to create two color calibration ICM files: (a) for the 1920x1080 IPS screen on the P70, and (b) for my external Eizo 24" S2433W monitor.  The software is capable of "adjusting" brightness and contrast (e.g. for display devices which do not have manual controls for brightness and contrast), as well as RGB color, in order to reach the desired target settings.

My Panasonic 65VT50 plasma HDTV was professionally ISF calibrated (by D-Nice), and he likes to set a gamma target of 2.23, rather than 2.20.  And color of D65.  The results of his calibration are spectacular.  You don't realize you're watching a TV, it looks so real.

So although the two displays I wanted to calibrate are computer screens and will be used for doing computer stuff, I decided to go with a gamma target of 2.23 here.  So that's really the only thing I modified from default with the iProfiler software.  Note that the Lenovo-provided Pantone Color Calibrator software is not in the same class of flexibility and sophistication as the iProfiler software that comes with the i1Display Pro.  You can't specify a custom gamma, for example.

Interestingly, I arbitrarily calibrated my Eizo monitor first.  And moving past the initial dialog screens the software set the target brightness level at 250 (although my brain says that 120 was the initial value presented, so I wonder if I changed it to 250 as I was fooling around and experimenting) and wanted me to adjust the brightness of the screen to match.  Well I couldn't go up that high using the brightness control on my monitor.  It would only go up to 199 as measured by the device.  But the onscreen text said that even if I couldn't get closer, that the calibration would take this into account.

When I next went to calibrate the laptop screen, it still had a target brightness level of 250.  With the P70 brightness (using F5/F6) set all the way up to 15, the measured brightness by the colorimeter was about 380. So I dropped down the brightness using F5 until I got around the target of 250.  I couldn't hit it exactly, either being under at 229 or over at 270. I decided to leave it over, and then proceeded with the calibration.

Anyway, with just that one gamma target adjustment and my best effort to get the monitor brightness to match what I was told to try and achieve, I let it do its thing.  First on the Eizo monitor, and then on the laptop screen, targeting for D65 and gamma of 2.23 on both monitors and creating two ICM profiles accordingly.

Well, I have to say the results are really superb!

The picture I've been using as my color reference to evaluate the process now looks beautifully real and with human skin tone astonishingly accurate and 3D-like (much as my 65VT50 looks).  I had never calibrated my Eizo monitor before but was simply running using the Eizo-provided ICC.  I must say, I am having the same reaction with the now calibrated Eizo that I had with the Panny HDTV after D-Nice calibration... it looks perfectly natural and real, including brightness and contrast as well as color.

Most importantly, the color on the P70 laptop screen now looks much like the color on the Eizo.  Not exactly the same (the Eizo is superior in presenting human skin tone, which has a bit more realistic "flesh reddish" tone, where the P70 screen is a bit bit less "flesh"), but very similar.  Certainly the laptop screen human skin tone color is definitely superior from this i1Display Pro calibration than it was using the built-in color sensor and software.

Bottom line: I believe the additional investment in this external color profiling gizmo was well worth the price.  I do have to say it does a MUCH BETTER job than the built-in color sensor and X-Rite Lite (Pantone) software provided.  The results are quite a bit superior, in my opinion. The P70 color sensor wasn't very expensive, but now that I can compare its result vs. that of the i1Display Pro colorimeter and commercial iProfiler software, honestly no question that there's a clear winner.

Highly recommended to go external.  And obviously it can then also be used for your other monitors as well.  I'm very satisfied.

(I'll be glad to share my P70 laptop screen ICM file, if you'd like to try it. I know you really shouldn't have an unrealistic expectation using somebody else's color profile as it's a different screen, but it's not something you can't stop using if you don't like how it looks).

Options

84 Posts

12-09-2009

United States of America

584 Signins

1911 Page Views

• Views: 1911
  • Message 22 of 28

2016-01-15, 14:17 PM

wrote:

Bottom line: I believe the additional investment in this external color profiling gizmo was well worth the price.  I do have to say it does a MUCH BETTER job than the built-in color sensor and X-Rite Lite (Pantone) software provided.

That's interesting. Your results mirror those by others using W series laptops, reported some years ago in this forum. At least one user was of the opinion that the built-in color sensor was essentially worthless.

Options

2924 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11510 Signins

63476 Page Views

• Message 23 of 28

2016-01-19, 11:25 AM

Moving forward...

Tonight I decided to see how the new fingerprint reader works on my P70 with Win7.  So I launched the Lenovo fingerprint software and went through the enrollment process.

The sensor on the P70 works differently than it does on the W530, where you pull your finger across the reader lens. In contrast with the P70 you simply place your finger flat on the sensor.  During the enrollment process you do this eight times, picking your finger straight up and then putting it straight down flat again.  Fascinating.

After completing the eight "training runs" with my finger the software told me I was completely enrolled, and didn't complain. So I guess it was satisfied and that the comparison of the eight readings was consistent enough to have my fingerprint understood.

I then re-booted, and clicked on the fingerprint login icon.  I then placed my finger on the sensor, and seemingly INSTANTLY it was read and validated and the "welcome" from Windows appeared.  The login via fingerprint was obviously successful, and INSTANTANEOUS!

I haven't tried it more than just this first time, but compared to how intermittent and erratic the fingerprint reader works on the W530 (where you have to drag your finger across the lens, and depending on angle and how clean your fingertip is that drag may or may not be successful) the new fingerprint sensor on the P70 is remarkable!

Excellent improvement.  Wonderful.

Options

2924 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11510 Signins

63476 Page Views

• Message 24 of 28

2016-01-19, 12:00 PM

Just did the same thing with Win10.  Quite a different approach to performing the enrollment, using Windows Hello (which requires first creating a PIN as an alternative to password, I know not why) through Control Panel -> User accounts.

But essentially it works similar to how it does in Win7, training the sensor with repeatedly placing my finger on the sensor and then lifting it.  I think it was only six times in Win10 vs. eight in Win7.

Once completed I re-booted, and observed that the login screen now asked for my PIN.  Or, I could select to use alternative methods, which allowed me to use my password or fingerprint (and others, had I for example enrolled my voice).  I selected fingerprint, placed my finger on the sensor, and then just as in Win7 INSTANTLY my fingerprint was recognized and validated and Welcome appeared.

Next re-boot I didn't need to select anything in order to use fingerprint login. It was already pre-selected.

Very slick.  Couldn't be easier, quicker or more reliable.

Options

2924 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11510 Signins

63476 Page Views

• Message 25 of 28

2016-01-20, 7:16 AM

If only this were true.

Turns out there seems to be two problems relating to fingerprint login both in Win7 and Win10.  This could be either in the fingerprint software itself (which Lenovo provides in two different forms for the P70, one called Lenovo Touch Fingerprint Software for Win7, and the other called Synaptics Metallica Fingerprint Software for Win10) or perhaps in Windows Hello (for Win10), or who knows what..

(a) In Win7, the fingerprint sensor is seemingly not being activated by the fingerprint software across shutdown/reboots, even though the fingerprint icon was on the Welcome screen and selected.  Windows is waiting for me to put my finger on the sensor but the sensor is not active..

(b) In both Win7 and Win10 (as I now have a dual-boot P70) the previously performed and seemingly successful enrollment of fingerprint in both Win7 and Win10 does not appear to be reliably persistent across shutdown, restart, booting to the alternate OS, etc.  It will be there for a series of log outs and log back ins, but is also likely to "disappear" from the login options offered (reverting simply to password and PIN).

Today I powered up the machine after being off all last night, and booted to Win7.  Surprisingly, there was no fingerprint icon on my Welcome screen.  Only password and PIN.  I used one of these to get into Win10 and then went through the whole enrollment procedure all over again, same as I'd done yesterday.

And now it seemed to work.  I could log out, and when I logged back in the Welcome screen now showed the third login option of fingerprint.  After working all day in Win10 I had to reboot to Win7 to check something, and the fingerprint login icon was present.  I selected it and windows asked me to put my finger on the sensor, but the sensor was not active so nothing happened.

So I just repeated the Lenovo Touch fingerprint software enrollment all over again, and once again now things seemed to be working in Win7.  But when I then rebooted to Win10, the previously present third login option for fingerprint was once again gone in Win10.

I don't know where the issue is.  I don't know if it's the presence of two different fingerprint software packages from Lenovo (one for Win7 and one for Win10) which is responsible for this strange behaivor.  I don't know if it's the fault of Windows Hello in Win10 (although it's not present in Win7, so it couldn't be at fault there).

I'm a little crazy right now after working all day in both OS's, but I do have to report that there seems to be a very odd behavior exhibited by the fingerprint software in both Win7 and win10.  It doesn't seem to be retained 100% reliably in either Windows version.

Works great, if it's active.  But whether it's active at boot time seems hit and miss. And in the Win7 environment it seems that the fingerprint software can believe enrollment has been done and that login method is offered, but if the fingerprint sensor has not simultaneously been activated it's clearly not going to work.

Having observed ths numerous times today, and reported it here, I think I will probably start a new thread on this topic.

I'd like to know if others have encountered any similar anomalous behavior, and if you're Win7 or Win10.

Options

1609 Posts

09-16-2014

United States of America

3048 Signins

61403 Page Views

• Views: 61403
  • Message 26 of 28

2016-02-05, 13:28 PM

A solution is being prepared for the speaker popping, clicking or cracking sounds on ThinkPad P50 and P70 laptops.

See this discussion for more information: 

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/P50-P70-sound-issue-quot-pop-crack-quot-and-then-normal/m-p/2244978/

Thank you,

Options

9 Posts

01-07-2016

USA

8 Signins

56 Page Views

• Views: 56
  • Message 27 of 28

2016-05-27, 15:17 PM

Using Win10 I see the fingerprint reader sometimes does not illuminate during a login forcing an alternative login method.  It seems less frequent since an update.

Currently, and no longer "first" impressions - there is an occasional issue with blue screen (Win 10 frowny face).  With lots of memory, the dump files can be large - therefore not all bluescreens have data associated. I've recently switched (as of past 48hrs) to small dump files - which also do not overwrite previous logs.  Visually catching the error, the last bluescreen complained about the NVidia driver.   I've got the latest driver as of today (10.18.13.5474)

Options

12 Posts

08-26-2017

United States of America

16 Signins

181 Page Views

• Views: 181
  • Message 28 of 28

2018-04-20, 19:05 PM

I have a similar issue with myP70. Sometimes the print reader quits working, even though activity light is on, so I switch to password option. Without entering password and pressing go button, I get an expected "invalid password" msg, switch back to print reader and it works again! The printreader, when working is very quick.

As a side issue, I also get the BSOD after going through the shutdown procedure or after automatic reboot following windows/lenovo updates. Very concerning; however, displays "Windows recovered from an unexpected shut down", under reason " blue screen error". Idk if this is a soft or hardware issue. I plan on installing the 500gb ssd I just received, but it didn't come with migration software and want to find one before installing and maybe this will solve issue.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms