04-09-2020

US

54 Signins

270 Page Views

• Views: 270
  • Message 1 of 49

Reset Problems - PLEASE HELP!!!

2020-04-09, 19:36 PM

Hello, I have a Lenovo ThinkPad W540, and it's a really old computer. Before, I updated my computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and everything went well on that day, however, a few days after, it kept restarting on its own. I wanted to reset the computer to see whether or not it can fix the problem, and I wanted to get rid of all my files. When I launched up a menu (by holding Shift while restarting) and I began to follow the procedure to reset my Laptop, it showed an error message when it restarted:

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Recovery

Your PC/Device needs to be repaired

The operating system couldn't be loaded because a critical system driver is missing or contains errors.

Error Code: 0xc0000221

You'll need to use recovery tools If you don't have any installation media, contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer.

Press Enter to Try Again

Press F8 for Startup Settings

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please help!

Options

3815 Posts

12-02-2007

US

9029 Signins

188553 Page Views

• Views: 188553
  • Message 2 of 49

Re:Reset Problems - PLEASE HELP!!!

2020-04-10, 9:59 AM

Hello,

Perhaps this is due to a disk error of some kind?

I do not have a ThinkPad W540 myself, but I am wondering if it has any built-in diagnostics?  If so, you might want to use them to check the drive for errors.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP72 (20MB-*)P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Need an answer, fast? Try using Browser Search to find it in the Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

44 Posts

04-09-2020

US

54 Signins

270 Page Views

• Message 3 of 49

2020-04-10, 14:47 PM

How can I check if my computer has a self-diagnose system?

Thanks so much,

Hyena

Options

44 Posts

04-09-2020

US

54 Signins

270 Page Views

• Message 4 of 49

2020-04-10, 16:09 PM

There is a pop-up everytime it goes to the sign in screen:

C:\Program Files\Tablet\Wacom_Tablet.exe

File System Error 

I tried to use the built-in Windows system to solve the problem, after it rebooted, there was another pop-up:

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item. 

My account was an administrator and was a local account...

Options

412 Posts

07-08-2019

CA

561 Signins

7313 Page Views

• Views: 7313
  • Message 5 of 49

2020-04-11, 20:34 PM

Hi HyenaPhoenix,

@ HyenaPhoenix wrote:

There is a pop-up everytime it goes to the sign in screen:

C:Program FilesTabletWacom_Tablet.exe

File System Error 

I tried to use the built-in Windows system to solve the problem, after it rebooted, there was another pop-up:

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item. 

My account was an administrator and was a local account...

Considering that the error is File System Error, testing the drive with bootable diagnostics should be done. First Backup any file you want to keep on an external drive, and follow the instructions from this page: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ca/en/solutions/diagnose

If the test shows no error, the file system has been corrupted and needs fixing. At this point, files are likely garbled and mixed up together. From an administrator command-line, run 

chkdsk c: /F

When asked if you want to fix on reboot, accept. Read the text carefully, forcing the test while Windows is running is going to cause more problems. 

Once the command no longer reports errors, you can try to repair. It might be required to repair from Windows installation media if the file system was damaged as the repair files could be garbled. If there are only minor problems, there are commands that can check Windows files online to try to fix the currently installed Windows. 

Report back and I'll help you from there.
Martin

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

I'm a volunteer, NOT a Lenovo employee.
If I solved your issue, please click Accept as a Solution.
If my post helped, consider giving me a Thumbs Up.

Main: P52 (I7-8750H P1000 FHD 16GB 2TB-SSD 1TB-HDD)
Also, 2x M820z, 1x P520c, 1x ideaCentre 300S-11IBR

Options

44 Posts

04-09-2020

US

54 Signins

270 Page Views

• Message 6 of 49

2020-04-12, 1:18 AM

Hello Martin!

Luckily, I was able to clean install Windows 10 Pro using a installation media. Unfortunately, there are other problems and if you (or anyone) could help me, that would be amazing! 

Problems:

• BOSD appears (Blue Screen stating that there was a problem and the computer is gathering info and will restart)

1. SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
  2. SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

• Window Updates Problems

1. 2020-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems (Error Code: 0x80091007)
  2. 2020-02 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 Version 1909 (Error Code: 0x800706be)

• Sfc /scannow

1. There were some corrupt files.
  2. After I ran this command, the next several times I used it, it would proceed to scan, then stop at around 5% and say "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation."

• Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool

1. I wanted to check the memory, if there were any problems, and I want to do a full scan, rather than a Standard, and to access that I need to press F1, but it triggers the mute function (that's what F1 is for my computer) rather than changing the options...

!!!PROBLEM 2 (Windows Update) IS THE TOP PRIORY THAT I WANT TO BE FIXED, THE OTHERS ARE SECONDARY!!!

There might be other problems that I forgot to mention, but these are the main ones that are really annoying!

Thank you again to everyone!

Hyena

Options

412 Posts

07-08-2019

CA

561 Signins

7313 Page Views

• Message 7 of 49

2020-04-12, 5:15 AM

Hi HyenaPhoenix,

@ HyenaPhoenix wrote:

Hello Martin!

Luckily, I was able to clean install Windows 10 Pro using a installation media. Unfortunately, there are other problems and if you (or anyone) could help me, that would be amazing! 

Problems:

• BOSD appears (Blue Screen stating that there was a problem and the computer is gathering info and will restart)

1. SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
  2. SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

Is this from a clean install without any drivers installed? Did you install everything Lenovo Vantage proposed? Windows does not install every drivers needed for stability. You need a few from Lenovo for the machine to work right.

I highly recommend you run the disk test before continuing however!!!

• Window Updates Problems

1. 2020-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems (Error Code: 0x80091007)
  2. 2020-02 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 Version 1909 (Error Code: 0x800706be)

• Sfc /scannow

1. There were some corrupt files.
  2. After I ran this command, the next several times I used it, it would proceed to scan, then stop at around 5% and say "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation."

If you ran the disk test before and it found no errors, try this: 

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

If errors are found, do this (it needs Internet and takes time, but should fix any bad Windows file):

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Once that is done, try Windows Update again. If you still have problems, follow the directions there: Microsoft - Fix Windows Update errors

• Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool

1. I wanted to check the memory, if there were any problems, and I want to do a full scan, rather than a Standard, and to access that I need to press F1, but it triggers the mute function (that's what F1 is for my computer) rather than changing the options...

Then, press the Fn key + F1 key. 

!!!PROBLEM 2 (Windows Update) IS THE TOP PRIORY THAT I WANT TO BE FIXED, THE OTHERS ARE SECONDARY!!!

Why? If your machine has hardware problems, Windows is never going to work right...?

Whatever you do, DO THE DISK TEST in Lenovo Diagnostics (There is a memory test too!). Else, everything else could be for nothing due to faulty hardware.

There might be other problems that I forgot to mention, but these are the main ones that are really annoying!

Thank you again to everyone!

Hyena

Stay safe!
Martin

Options

44 Posts

04-09-2020

US

54 Signins

270 Page Views

• Message 8 of 49

2020-04-12, 14:16 PM

Hello Martin!

• Is this from a clean install without any drivers installed? Did you install everything Lenovo Vantage proposed? Windows does not install every drivers needed for stability. You need a few from Lenovo for the machine to work right.
    • I'm not an expert in computers, how can I check if there are drivers installed and if they're enough to keep the system running?

• I highly recommend you run the disk test before continuing however!!!
    • I ran the disk check on the Local Disk :C from the File Explorer, and no errors were found!
    • I also ran chkdsk /r, and the results were "Windows has made corrections to the file system. No further action is required."
    • I also tried memtest (not plus) and it showed no errors and passed the test.

• If you ran the disk test before and it found no errors, try this: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
    • It said "The component is repairable. The operation completed successfully." Is this is good thing?

• If errors are found, do this (it needs Internet and takes time, but should fix any bad Windows file): DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    • N/A

• Once that is done, try Windows Update again. If you still have problems, follow the directions there: Microsoft - Fix Windows Update errors
    • It doesn't work, there was an error code:
    • 0xca020007
    • 0x80073712

• Why? If your machine has hardware problems, Windows is never going to work right...? Whatever you do, DO THE DISK TEST in Lenovo Diagnostics (There is a memory test too!). Else, everything else could be for nothing due to faulty hardware.
    • The thing was that after I posted the last reply to yours, any BOSD didn't appear...
    • Edit: Oh never mind, another BSOD appeared right now: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, and SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED...

• Another Problem: Sometimes, when I'm running applications, it seems to freeze...

Stay safe and healthy,

Hyena

Options

44 Posts

04-09-2020

US

54 Signins

270 Page Views

• Message 9 of 49

2020-04-13, 1:34 AM

Hello Martin!

Should I try to Clean Install or use an installation media to Repair? I've tried it before previously, I think the number of BSOD has gotten smaller, but the problems are still there...

Thank you so much again,

Hyena

Options

412 Posts

07-08-2019

CA

561 Signins

7313 Page Views

• Message 10 of 49

2020-04-13, 2:02 AM

Hi Hyena,

@ HyenaPhoenix wrote:

• I'm not an expert in computers, how can I check if there are drivers installed and if they're enough to keep the system running?

Go to the Microsoft Store, search for Lenovo Vantage and install it. Follow the instructions, it will need to install stuff to work. Then, go in System Update and click "Check for system updates". Install everything suggested.

• I highly recommend you run the disk test before continuing however!!!
    • I ran the disk check on the Local Disk :C from the File Explorer, and no errors were found!

Are we talking about the Storage test from Lenovo bootable Diagnostics? From the next line, I think so, I just want to be sure. If so, report the precise result.

• I also ran chkdsk /r, and the results were "Windows has made corrections to the file system. No further action is required."

The useful command was chkdsk c: /F

Any error found after a clean install means you still had unresolved problems before installation. Windows is broken, unreliable, because the foundation is bad. Fix those issues before you trust your computer. By the way, if chkdsk c: /R finds bad sectors, your hard drive is seriously damaged.

• I also tried memtest (not plus) and it showed no errors and passed the test.

What does the Lenovo Diagnostics say? At this point, you should run diagnostics everything, a Quick to start.

• If you ran the disk test before and it found no errors, try this: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
    • It said "The component is repairable. The operation completed successfully." Is this is good thing?

There where errors in the check, but the command did not encounter an error in its execution. Irrelevant for now as you had errors in chkdsk. 

The filesystem is damaged, right after a clean install. You need to fix those errors and reinstall Windows before you can trust the machine. Think of it like changing a flat tire on a car that has been in a crash. Pointless. Windows is broken because what it relies on is broken. You will have all sorts of errors, and trying to fix those won't work because the cause is deeper, close to the hardware (damaged storage, motherboard, memory, or the partition is damaged). Until we know the machine is sound, we cannot trust it.

Run the Lenovo bootable Diagnostics, All tests, Quick, and report back.

Stay safe and healthy,

Hyena

You too!
Martin

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete