Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

02-03-2021

Netherlands

5 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 3

Extending display through USB C ports

2021-02-10, 10:09 AM

Hi,

I am considering to use a lightweight usbc dock on my Lenovo P15s, and feed power, HDMI (external monitor) and USB connections.

https://support.act-connectivity.com/hc/en-us/articles/360010263760-AC7041-I-get-no-video-signal-on-my-monitor

Here are my questions:

- Which port should I use?

• USB-C 3.2 (Gen 2, with Thunderbolt™ 3, DisplayPort, data transfer, power delivery)
  • USB-C 3.2 (Gen 1, with DisplayPort, data transfer, power delivery)

- Will it properly extend my display to external monitor?

- Does HDMI refresh rate matter? (@30Hz vs. @60Hz)

I have just tested extending my display with HDMI->USBC dongle (tried on both laptop ports) => There is a long noticeable refresh (5s blank screen) every 2 minutes.

Note that I use same dongle for my other workstation (Dell Precission 5530) without any issues

Thanks

Options

2526 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

272 Signins

12801 Page Views

• Views: 12801
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:Extending display through USB C ports

2021-02-10, 10:46 AM

Hi dvox,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

The 3.2 Gen 2 (Thunderbolt) is the one I would use, as it has up to 10GB/s data transfer speed through USB-C.

Refresh rates is first determined by the Monitor, then by the resolution. HDMI can reach up to 240Hz as other cables, but this again is limited by the resolution you are trying to run on and the HDMI version (P15s has 1.4b) See chart below:

Apart from that, if you are having issues with getting monitors to work through USB-C , make sure you have the newest BIOS, Chipset, Serial I.O and Management Engine Interface drivers for your device as well as the latest Display Drivers (Intel, Nvidia or AMD).
You can find and install the newest drivers from the Lenovo Support Page
Just plot in the serial number of the device, click the search icon and select your device, then head to Drivers & Software, select Manual Update, then select the BIOS, Chipset section and Display & Video Graphics section.
Right click the files in question and select "Run as Administrator".
**Note: Make sure the AC adapter is connected and that you have at least 30% battery charge when performing BIOS updates.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

5 Posts

02-03-2021

Netherlands

5 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:Extending display through USB C ports

2021-02-12, 8:43 AM

Thank you very much for the detailed reply.

I decided to go with proper lenovo docking station

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/docking/universal-cable-docks-usb/TP-USB-C-DOCK-GEN2-US/p/40AS0090US

It is stated that docking station is expected to work on any laptop with industry standard USB-C Alt-Mode or Thunderbolt protocols.

I intend to use it also on a Dell 5530 on Ubuntu.

Would this be possible?

Thanks

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms