10-12-2008

Norway

124 Signins

676 Page Views

• Views: 676
  • Message 1 of 2

Extremely low audio volume on the W510?

2010-10-25, 16:27 PM

Okay, I've had my ThinkPad W510 for a few weeks now and besides having issues with the slice battery I bought for it which suddenly started working I haven't had much issues with it.

But the other day I tried watching Family Guy Season 9 on it and I find the audio volume being the weakest on any notebook I've owned ever. Period.

It's about half of what my T400s managed, and it's not even remotely close to other laptops like MacBook Pro, even low cost notebooks like Acer Aspire and Acer TimelineX got better audio output than mine W510?

It's like I really need to concentrate if I want to watch anything on it, and this is in the middle of the night when there is barley any other sounds around in the room?

I've seen reports of the Conexant driver being sluggish and all that, I've tried to "disable all enhancements" from the SmartAudio driver, I even tried rolling back to the default Windows7 audio driver but the volume output is downright disgraceful. Just to top it all the speakers tend to how this high pitched clicking sound going from time to time, it seems completely random but it's still very annoying.

If I hook up a pair of Koss Porta Pro I get somewhat normal sound with okay volume and no irritating pitching every now and then..

Options

1597 Posts

05-29-2010

Singapore

2876 Signins

58997 Page Views

• Views: 58997
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Extremely low audio volume on the W510?

2010-10-26, 16:12 PM

Frankly speaking, ThinkPad W510 speakers or/and it's Conexant sound chip/driver is mediocre. It seems that it is a design fault or Lenovo is trying to save that small amount of additional cost for each of the component so that they can earn more. I used an T400 loaner set before, the speaker and the Conexant SmartAudio was as great or better than my Dell Studio 15. 

I am not sure what the heck, Lenovo Research & Development department is doing to make W510 sound mediocre. As an end-user and W510 a mobile workstation, I would also expect the speaker/sound chip to be better than T400.

I have contacted the Lenovo Service Center, they said the final version of the driver is under testing and has not been released to their support website. But I think the soft audio volume problem could never be resolved unless Lenovo would release another version of internal speaker, but not possible as a refreshed version of W-series is coming up next year. (eg. W520)

Problem/bug listed out for the latest version of W510 Audio Driver

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/W510-newest-driver-released-in-7-Oct-is-still-buggy-4-95-48/m-p/299542

Best Regards
Peter

Moderator edit by bananaman: Removed section not in compliance with the Community Rules.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms