Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

08-07-2020

Lebanon

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 1 of 2

Following a System Update, HDMI and High Definition Audio no longer working

2021-07-18, 9:15 AM

Hi all... 

I have done a recent system update for my Lenovo ThinkPad P71. Ever since, the HDMI port is no longer working correctly. For instance, when I connect the HDMI cable to an external display, it works but at a very low resolution. However, the sound is no longer coming up from my external display's speakers. When I run the sound troubleshooter, it says that my speakers and audio devices are not connected. This is not all yet, the boot logo of Lenovo has turned from red to blue. It used to be a red rectangle inside which was written Lenovo TM, now it's the same rectangle but blue which is quite weird!!

Can anyone help here?

Options

2810 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11389 Signins

61996 Page Views

• Views: 61996
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:Following a System Update, HDMI and High Definition Audio no longer working

2021-07-18, 10:37 AM

Problem has already been reported and confirmed by other users.

See this other thread.

No solution yet from Lenovo.  Rollback to previous firmware is not possible.

Absolutely seems to have been caused by a defective Thunderbolt Firmware update from Lenovo specifically for the P71.

Until Lenovo actually fixes this with a new update, temporarily a workaround is to buy an inexpensive USB-C to HDMI adapter like this one (and then use an HDMI-HDMI cable), or a USB-C to HDMI cable. This allows using one of the two Thunderbolt USB-C ports on the P71 as your HDMI connection, instead of using the actual HDMI port which now appears to have been broken by Lenovo.

We await the official fix from Lenovo.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms