Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

26 Posts

08-15-2019

United States of America

33 Signins

559 Page Views

• Views: 559
  • Message 1 of 5

Getting updates from Microsoft instead of Lenovo???

2021-06-09, 16:59 PM

Hello,

This morning, I logged on to my ThinkPad P72 and ran Lenovo Commercial Advantage.   It told me there were no updates.

OK...That's fine...  really don't have a problem with that because it means that my machine is up-to date (according to Lenovo).

At least that's what I thought until I ran Windows Update.... When, much to my surprise I received an update for Lenovo BIOS.   Now,  unfortunately, this isn't the first time this has happened.

I am curious as to why I am being forced to get my firmware updates through Microsoft instead of Lenovo?   

Shouldn't I be able to get the updates from either source?

Regards

--

Anthony Vitale

I am neither an employee nor an agent of Lenovo. I ONLY recommend Lenovo systems WITH 3-year ON-SITE warranty for all my customers!
Options

3262 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

258 Signins

16470 Page Views

• Views: 16470
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:Getting updates from Microsoft instead of Lenovo???

2021-06-09, 18:20 PM

Hello avvconsulting,

Greetings

Microsoft and Lenovo does agree to provide updates for users.
MS does it from their own database server as the Vantage on its own. 
Vantage updates are set to cascades those OEM updates as certified by manufacturer as compatible with the hardware, while MS is more on the software priorities.

Going to the direct Lenovo support site  can also show earlier uploaded updates than Vantage.  

Hope this helps

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

26 Posts

08-15-2019

United States of America

33 Signins

559 Page Views

• Views: 559
  • Message 3 of 5

2021-06-09, 18:35 PM

Hello Lorenzo

@ Lorenzo_Lenovo wrote:

Microsoft and Lenovo does agree to provide updates for users.

MS does it from their own database server as the Vantage on its own. 

OK, so we have two sets of vendors providing updates. It seems a bit redundant but at least it increases the possibilities of getting updates quicker.

Vantage updates are set to cascades those OEM updates as certified by manufacturer as compatible with the hardware, while MS is more on the software priorities.

This is concerning - especially with BIOS updates.  People should have absolute confidence that updates to the BIOS are certified by the manufacturer (since, you know... it IS their hardware) and not released by a 3rd Party Vendor (which, in this case, is Microsoft) based on "software priorities"

Going to the direct Lenovo support site  can also show earlier uploaded updates than Vantage.  

Why is their a disconnect between the Vantage utility and the Lenovo website.   Ideally, they should reflect the same set of updates. 

Now, I have to check 2 places for my updates?   If that's the case, why even bother with Lenovo (Commercial) Advantage?

--
Anthony

I am neither an employee nor an agent of Lenovo. I ONLY recommend Lenovo systems WITH 3-year ON-SITE warranty for all my customers!
Options

4280 Posts

12-02-2007

United States of America

9152 Signins

198623 Page Views

• Views: 198623
  • Message 4 of 5

2021-06-10, 3:30 AM

Hello,

Another forum member asked about this recently, too, @avvconsulting.  You can view that message thread here on the forum at

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile-Workstations/what-is-Lenovo-Ltd-Firmware-1-installed-on-windows-updates/m-p/5082235?

As @Lorenzo_Lenovo noted, there are multiple channels through which device driver, firmware and machine-specific software updates are provided.  The support downloaded pages are always updated first so that customers who are specifically seeking the latest versions of files can find things and download them.  Next up would be Lenovo Vantage or Commercial Vantage, which is the app that you can download from the Microsoft Store and provides a modern experience.  Last is the old Lenovo (formerly ThinkVantage) System Update program, which is a legacy tool that has been superseded by Vantage.  It's still maintained, though, and I guess some users like it's old UI and continue to run it periodically in order to receive their updates.

As mentioned in the post I linked to, above, Microsoft has gotten into the business of not just providing device drivers through Windows Update, but firmware updates as well.  This started sometime in the Windows 8 time-frame, and was done by Microsoft to ensure that customers have the latest drivers and firmware available to them, especially if they are installing (or reinstalling) Windows 10 onto a computer for the first time.  All those updates can be streamed down during the Windows 10 installation (provided there's a network connection) for a streamlined experience so that users don't have to go through the process of hunting down a bunch of downloads in order to complete the Windows installation.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP50 (20EN-*)P51sP72 (20MB-*)P43sS230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)X1e gen3X1 Yoga gen 5X12 gen1X13 gen1Yoga 370

Communities: English Deutsche Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Język Polski Moto English

Need an answer, fast? Try using Browser Search to find it in the Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

383 Posts

09-04-2019

United States of America

294 Signins

4293 Page Views

• Views: 4293
  • Message 5 of 5

2021-06-11, 1:57 AM

Its best to do direct downloads from the Lenovo site IMO. You will see the updates there first relative to Vantage (Consumer version). Also, I get my other updates using the Intel tool. MSFT is only for Windows 10 updates. Some hardware such but most of that will come from Lenovo and Intel.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms