HR

6 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 1 of 8

HDD in optical drive not recognized - W540

2016-09-06, 20:43 PM

Hello community

I am having a problem with 2nd HDD installed in optical drive.

Basically, if I start the machine with caddy installed, Widows will not recognize HDD. HDD is not shown in disk management, in Windows Explorer, and I also don't see it in BIOS (or UEFI or whatever it's called nowadays.)

Curiously enough:  if I start laptop with DVD drive, DVD will show up in windows explorer. Then, if I perform hot swap - pull out DVD and plug in caddy while laptop is up and running - HDD will appear in Windows explorer and in disk manager.

This sort of suggests disk works fine (I formatted disk and there is data on it).

I tried updating BIOS, Intel drivers (and any other driver I could think of). I was also messing around BIOS, playing with various options, to no avail.

There was a workaround (I think I have seen it one of many forums I visited) - firstly people installed DVD drive, and then created shortcut to power up DVD drive. This was before Windows 10 and with power saving option in Lenovo Power Manager. Back then, power manager allowed you to manually power up DVD drive.

So with that shortcut on desktop, user would unplug DVD drive and install HDD. After restarting laptop with caddy installed, user would just double-click DVD power up icon, and this would wake HDD up.

HDD manufacturer is Toshiba (1TB, mq01abd100). Caddy is generic (not Lenovo original). There are no jumpers that I can find, neither on caddy nor on HDD itself. Windows 10, 64 bit.

I also tried installing different caddy (non-Lenovo) - no luck.

Price of original Lenovo caddy is about 150 USD here in Croatia - I will go down that route if I have to, but there is still no guarantee it will work (distributer does not have caddy in stock - otherwise I'd just go to Lenovo store and try the original caddy)

Any help is appreciated - cheers!

Options

5 Posts

08-22-2015

Germany

41 Signins

317 Page Views

• Views: 317
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: HDD in optical drive not recognized - W540

2016-09-07, 15:57 PM

Hello,

there was a similar discussion about a second harddrive in a generic caddy some month ago.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/W541-need-to-restart-to-see-second-hard-drive-Opticaddy/m-p/2245023

After shutdown and power up of a windows 10 system, the harddisk in the second generic caddy was not visible.

The harddisk reappered after a "reboot" in windows.

I did some tests on my w541 and in my opinion there is a functional difference between a generic caddy and the original Lenovo caddy. The problem never appeared, when I use the original caddy.

Regards,

Andreas

Options

304 Posts

10-26-2010

US

1372 Signins

9382 Page Views

• Views: 9382
  • Message 3 of 8

2016-09-08, 5:49 AM

Where can we actually get a Lenovo caddy if the computer was purchased with an optical drive? I have been unable to find a Lenovo caddy anywhere, including the parts store.

W540: i7-4700mq, K2100m, 16 GB RAM, 500 GB Samsung 840 EVO
T510: i7-620m, NVS 3100m, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB Samsung 840 EVO
Options

4 Posts

09-06-2016

HR

6 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2016-09-08, 11:39 AM

Andreas - thanks for the feedback. I've seen that thread but somehow concluded it was not applicable to my case, simply because I never managed to get the Windows to recognize HDD - not in a gazillion rebooting attempts. However, you made me seriously consider buying the original caddy.

Shawn - this is reply I received from Lenovo (mind you, it's almost one year old):

Required part:

P/N: 04X1602 (0B47315)  

LENOVO HDD Bay Adapter IV for 2.HDD 9.5mm   

I see this item all over internet, so you should be able to order it online, either directly from Lenovo or from reseller.

Before ordering, make sure you read user reviews here: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/itemdetails/0B47315/460/FDCD14101F7E452CBBA91660EB85C922

As it appears, this (Lenovo) caddy is oversized and regular HDD won't fit snugly. So you either

a) tape HDD to caddy

b) buy adaptor (P/N seems to be 04x5421)

c) buy Lenovo's HDD model that will fit

Maybe Andreas could chime in - did you experience this problem and what was your solution?

Thanks!

Options

5 Posts

08-22-2015

Germany

41 Signins

317 Page Views

• Views: 317
  • Message 5 of 8

2016-09-08, 17:57 PM

Hello fills,

I'm not sure anymore, if we are talking about the same problem. Except for the small problem, described in the other

post I have no problems with any caddy.

Does your Toshiba HD work when you put it in as the normal system HD? Or the other way, does your system HD work in the caddy?

I replaced the original HD with a SSD and put the original HD with Windows 7 into a generic caddy. I can now even boot
from the old HD in the caddy, when I put in the caddy.

About the quality of the original caddy: You are right, the mechanical quality of my generic caddy is a lot better than
the original one. You can NOT put a HD directly into the Lenovo caddy, because there are metal parts which would

touch the bottom side of the HD. I used a HD frame of an old Thinkpad to protected the bottom of the HD. But still

the HD is only held by the plug of the disk and there is no official way to fix the HD to the caddy :-(

The Lenovo caddy is designed to change a HD without tools.

In the generic caddy, I have two screws which fixes the HD from both sides.

I'm not sure if your allowed to do hot plug with the caddy, because in comparison to my old (very old) thinkpad

there is no way to "just" remove the device, I have to open the bottom side and remove a screw.

Regards,

Andreas

Options

4 Posts

09-06-2016

HR

6 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2016-09-12, 11:36 AM

Hi Andreas - sorry for the delayed reply.

Toshiba HD is not a bootable disk. I only use it to store data. Disk is fully functional once I get system to recognize it. My primary (bootable) disk is 256GB SSD (Samsung mz7td256hafv-000l9).

If I start my laptop with SSD in its original place (primary HDD slot), and Toshiba disk in caddy - Toshiba won't be recognized never ever no matter how many times I reboot.

If I start my laptop with SSD in place, and DVD drive inserted - DVD drive will be recognized every single time.

If I start my laptop with SSD in caddy - I won't be able to boot (disk not recognized).

If I start my laptop with SSD in place and with DVD drive inserted - and pull DVD drive out AFTER Windows are up and running, DVD icon will disappear from Windows Explorer (as expected). Now, if I plug caddy in without powering down laptop - 2nd HDD icon will appear, and I will be able to use the drive normally.

These are not meant to be hot swapped, you are right. In order to facilitate this operation, I had to remove a screw just as you mentioned. Now, when I am removing optical drive, I need to open the drive (as I was to insert the DVD disc) and then pull the whole thing out, using the open drive as a handle. If I need to pull HDD caddy out - for this purpose I have a fishing line threaded through the caddy's plastic front mask and I use it to pull caddy out  :)

Allowed or not - it works fine, as long as you don't mind fishing lines hanging off your expensive machine

Thanks!

Options

3 Posts

07-23-2016

NL

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 7 of 8

2017-04-04, 8:41 AM

For the people who still have this problem: I had the same issue 6 months ago with a SATA-600 SSD in an optical drive bracket. Only sometimes recognized. I have put the SSD on the main harddrive location in the laptop and this works fine. I gave up on my effort to get extra harddisk space. But yesterday I got an idea: the cable towards the optical drive connector doesn't look very well designed for high speed, so it could limit the actual data bandwidth. An optical drive only requires a SATA-150 connection. I connected an older SATA-300 harddisk (ST1000LM024) in the optical drive bracket, so the Laptop is forced to use lower data rate. Now it works and I have 1TB of extra space available.

Options

3 Posts

07-23-2016

NL

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 8 of 8

2017-04-04, 10:26 AM

You might also consider modifying the drive caddy and add a switch to control the 5V supply to the harddisk. Switching the 5V off and on should be the same as hotplugging.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete