AT

7 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 1 of 5

Harddisk password only supported with 2 drives, not with 3

2020-09-16, 1:50 AM

Good morning,

I have a ThinkPad P51 and was running it with one SSD (m2) and one HDD. Both were encrypted with a harddrive password via the ThinkPad firmware and everything was running fine for 2 years.

Now I added a third drive (m2) and my device was not able to boot anymore, because the ThinkPad did not ask for a harddrive password. Also the harddrive password options in the firmware were gone, so I wasnt able to remove those in the firmware. The ThinkPad diagnostics recognized all three harddrives.

To solve my issue, I removed the new disk, removed all the harddisk passwords, added the new disk again, now everything works, but I cannot set any harddrive password, because the option in the firmware is gone. I dont need all three drives to have a harddisk password, but I really want at least one drive to have it.

Is there a way to achieve this?

Solved! See the solution
Options

11269 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39719 Signins

415313 Page Views

• Views: 415313
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:Harddisk password only supported with 2 drives, not with 3

2020-09-16, 4:04 AM

I haven't used a P51 but I used the previous generation (P50/P70) with 3  drives, all with ATA passwords.  What I learned was that some of the OPAL M.2 drives don't really handle ATA passwords correctly.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

4 Posts

11-09-2018

AT

7 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2020-09-16, 8:38 AM

Thank you very much for the fast reply.

This is interesting, I will check later today if the new drive works in the first slot alone. Can you recommend drives which will most probably work?

Options

11269 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39719 Signins

415313 Page Views

• Views: 415313
  • Message 4 of 5

2020-09-16, 15:01 PM

I was trying to use an OEM drive originally from another brand of laptop and the OPAL encryption didn't work with the ATA password.  I got a drive with a Lenovo FRU and it worked fine.  I have also seen problems with retail drives (not OEM).  The problem seems to be related to the fact that the drive uses the same process to control the OPAL encryption and the ATA password.  In my case, setting the PW on the non-OEM drive also screwed up the PW process one of the other drives for some reason.  I had thought I had bricked the drive but once I pulled the non-OEM drive out, all was well.

There seemed to be no standard among drive makers on how the OPAL key and PW interact.  The Thinkpad encrypts the PW you enter in the BIOS into a bit string to stop dictionary attacks and then that encrypted string seems to be encrypted again by the drive to be used as the key.  It sounded like a mess to me.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

1 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

4 Posts

11-09-2018

AT

7 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2020-09-19, 10:07 AM

Thank you very much richk.

I now bought a Lenovo drive with a FRU which was in the supported list for the P50 and it is working perfectly now. I think you safed me a lot of time.

Regarding the weird password stuff Lenovo is doing, I found this article a while ago when I first setup my laptop:

https://jbeekman.nl/blog/2015/03/lenovo-thinkpad-hdd-password/

They hash the password and mix other stuff into the hash. I think, security-wise this is a good practice. So every device gets its own password, even if I use the same password for all drives. So one "malware" drive does not expose the password of another drive. From a usabiilty point of view, this is a pain if you need to rescue your data or anything. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete