Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

11-19-2017

United States of America

8 Signins

66 Page Views

• Views: 66
  • Message 1 of 11

Help: Add second hard drive to P50

2017-11-19, 1:07 AM

All -

I have a P50 with this hard drive: 256GB SSD SATA3 OPAL2.

I would like to add a second hard drive, but am confused on which options I have and which one(s) are compatible, and in which slot they would go.

Looking at the online Lenovo config for a P50, it looks like the second hard drive can only be a standard hard drive, not a second SSD. I am fine with a 1TB standard hard drive, but would consider another 256GB or 512GB SSD.

Anyone added a second hard drive (post delivery), or know what or how Lenovo would have installed a second hard drive?

Thanks in advance,

-Chad

Answer
Options

2896 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11446 Signins

62856 Page Views

• Views: 62856

Re: Help: Add second hard drive to P50

2017-11-19, 3:36 AM

Can you please state which drive bay your SATA3 SSD drive is installed in?

Technically the P50 has three drive bays: one for a 2.5" SATA drive (either HDD spinner or SSD), and two M.2 bays which can be used for two M.2 NVMe or SATA3 SSD drives.

With the right adapter bracket the two M.2 bays can be re-purposed to be instead used for a single 2.5" SATA drive (either HDD spinner or SSD).

So you can physically have a max of either (a) two 2.5" SATA drives, or (b) one 2.5" SATA drive and one or two M.2 drives (either NVMe or SATA).

To use an M.2 SATA drive in either of the two M.2 bays, the P50 requires an M.2 SATA mounting tray: Part number:  4XB0L78233

To use an M.2 NVMe drive in either of the two M.2 bays, the P50 requires an M.2 NVMe mounting tray: Part number:  4XB0K59917

To install a 2.5" HDD/SSD in either the primary 2.5" bay or for conversion of the two M.2 bays to a second 2.5" bay, the P50 requires the adapter bracket and cables,: Part number:  4XB0L63274

So, if your existing SSD is of form M.2 and not 2.5", you can figure out what you need to buy and how you can move things around if necessary, to accomplish whatever DIY drive configuration you want to end up with.  Just remember that if you do play with your setup and rearrange things, please get into the BIOS immediately after the "surgery" and be sure that the boot sequence drive list does accurately point to whichever drive bay is now actually holding that boot drive.

Replies(10)
Answer
Options

2896 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11446 Signins

62856 Page Views

• Message 2 of 11

2017-11-19, 3:36 AM

Can you please state which drive bay your SATA3 SSD drive is installed in?

Technically the P50 has three drive bays: one for a 2.5" SATA drive (either HDD spinner or SSD), and two M.2 bays which can be used for two M.2 NVMe or SATA3 SSD drives.

With the right adapter bracket the two M.2 bays can be re-purposed to be instead used for a single 2.5" SATA drive (either HDD spinner or SSD).

So you can physically have a max of either (a) two 2.5" SATA drives, or (b) one 2.5" SATA drive and one or two M.2 drives (either NVMe or SATA).

To use an M.2 SATA drive in either of the two M.2 bays, the P50 requires an M.2 SATA mounting tray: Part number:  4XB0L78233

To use an M.2 NVMe drive in either of the two M.2 bays, the P50 requires an M.2 NVMe mounting tray: Part number:  4XB0K59917

To install a 2.5" HDD/SSD in either the primary 2.5" bay or for conversion of the two M.2 bays to a second 2.5" bay, the P50 requires the adapter bracket and cables,: Part number:  4XB0L63274

So, if your existing SSD is of form M.2 and not 2.5", you can figure out what you need to buy and how you can move things around if necessary, to accomplish whatever DIY drive configuration you want to end up with.  Just remember that if you do play with your setup and rearrange things, please get into the BIOS immediately after the "surgery" and be sure that the boot sequence drive list does accurately point to whichever drive bay is now actually holding that boot drive.

1 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

7 Posts

11-19-2017

United States of America

8 Signins

66 Page Views

• Message 3 of 11

2017-12-20, 17:41 PM

I apologize for not getting back earlier.

My SSD is in slot 0. Attached is a pic.

I picked up a Samsung NVMe SSD (960 EVO M.2) 500GB. This should work, correct? I plan to clone my existing 256GB SSD.

Any gotchas I should be aware before I attempt to install and clone?

Thanks again,

-Chad

Options

2896 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11446 Signins

62856 Page Views

• Message 4 of 11

2017-12-21, 4:33 AM

Well, now I'm confused.  I admit I'm not a P50 owner (I own a P70), but your picture tells a story.

It looks like your existing 256 SSD is not a 2.5" drive, but is M.2 and is already installed in the NVMe0 slot, as there appears to be one card alread installed in a tray and screwed down.  So ths must be your existing one and only drive.

You don't appear to have any 2.5" drive installed in the primary 2.5" bay.  You don't have any HDD spinner.

Looks like the second M.2 slot is also empty.

So, what's wrong with your current system situation just as it is?  There's no need to clone your existing 256GB SSD to anything as far as I can tell.  You're already running M.2 SSD for your operating system environment and getting SSD performance (although yes, NVMe SSD is faster than SATA SSD).  Why do you think your M.2 SSD is SATA rather than NVMe?  I think those drives purchased and configured from Lenovo are OEM versions of Samsung NVMe drives?

It would be informative if you would run the HWINFO64 program.  On its launch, the program provides a summary of your installed storage. And it would show if that M.2 drive of yours is NVMe or SATA.  For example here is my own desktop machine storage, which includes three drives: M.2 NVMe Samsung 960 512GB primary system drive, 2.5" SATA3 1TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro secondary drive, and 2.5" SATA3 6TB HDD spinner Western Digital Black.

Sure, you can install a second M.2 SSD (which say you've already bought) and install it n the second available M.2 bay for an additional 500GB of SSD storage, but it would be just that... a "data" drive for another 500GB of storage.   And it's NVMe, so don't forget to use an M.2 NVMe mounting tray, Part number 4XB0K59917

Can you please clarify your existing drive type.  Is it SATA3 or NVMe?  You can also use the Samsung Magician software to determine if your M.2 PCIe SSD drive is NVMe or SATA3.  Same type of display output as with HWINFO64.

Options

7 Posts

11-19-2017

United States of America

8 Signins

66 Page Views

• Message 5 of 11

2017-12-21, 4:42 AM

Here is the screenshot of my drive. Nothing is wrong with my system per say. I am simply running out of disk space. I hear the NVMe is faster than my SATA SSD. Should I clone it and make the MVNe the boot drive with OS? Then keep the SATA SSD as disk space? When I bought the laptop, I had an option for MVNe or SATA and at that time, the MVNe wasn't performing much better to warrant the extra cost.

I ordered that exact mounting tray. Thanks for posting the model number. It really made it easy. :)

Options

2896 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11446 Signins

62856 Page Views

• Message 6 of 11

2017-12-21, 5:08 AM

Fascinating.  Well, then I guess that's what got installed by Lenovo.

Anyway it's already an M.2 drive, not a 2.5" drive.  So if you do want to be running from NVMe instead of from SATA (and yes, there will certainly be significant performance improvements) then I would say you would want to "perform surgery" to install the second M.2 NVMe drive in order to SWAP the purpose of your now two M.2 drives.  After the surgery you would end up with your existing SATA drive as the secondary "data" drive, and your new NVMe drive would end up as the primary "system drive".

Note that Lenovo wants the primary bootable system drive to be in the NVMe0 slot (where your current M.2 card is installed).  So eventually, after surgery, you're going to physically swap the final two drives so that your new NVMe drive will be living in NVMe0 (where your current card lives) and your existing SATA drive will be relocated over to the currently vacant NVMe1 slot.  The two different trays with associated SATA or NVMe connections transfer from one bay to the other without any concern, as both M.2 bays can accept either tray type.

Steps are simple:

(1) Install the new NVMe card in its new NVMe tray, and install the package into your currently vacant NVMe1 bay.

(2) Download and install Macrium Reflect Free into your existing Windows system, and run it.  You're  going to use its "clone this disk..." wizard dialog to clone (i.e. copy all partitions directly, from one drive to another) all partitions on your existing 256GB SATA SSD drive as SOURCE to the new 500GB NVMe available drive as DESTINATION.  The GUI of Macrium Refelct is very intuitive, and you will just DRAG/DROP the partitions one at a time from SOURCE to DESTINATION, until they're all there.  Then you push NEXT and follow the wizard's instructions.

Note that you can reconfigure partition sizes on the DESTINATION drive on-the-fly as you proceed, so you can say enlarge the target C to make it larger or smaller than the source C.  This can be done directly with Macrium Reflect during the cloning.  Or, if you want to wait until later (i.e. after the entire operation is done and your two drives are physically reversed and you're now up and running from NVMe with SATA fully re-purposed as secondary "data" drive) you can just leave partition sizes as they are during the DRAG/DROP cloning, which will end up with about 200GB additional of unallocated free space on your new 500GB EVO.  You can deal with that later using Minitool Partition Wizard to adjust partitions as you want.

(3) After the cloning is complete (probably no more than 10-15 minutes) shut down and perform the physical swapping of the two drives.  Move the current SATA drive from NVMe0 over to NVMe1, and move the new NVMe drive from NVMe1 over to NVMe0.

(4) Reboot the machine and presumably there will be absolutely no problem except that you will now be automatically still be running from NVMe0 where your newly cloned NVMe version of the world exists.  You can verify with Windows that C is on that new 500GB NVMe0 drive.  You should see all the partitions of your old 256GB drive as other letters, but clearly living on a 256GB drive.

You can use Partition Wizard to do this investigation, or DISKMGMT.MSC, or anything.  But when you're satisfied that you're running successfully from your new 500GB NVMe EVO you can use Partition Wizard to delete all partitions from your old 256GB SATA SSD, and create one or more "data" partitions on that drive.  You can assign drive letters to these one or more partitions with Partition Wizard right then, or you can also change their drive letters with DISKMGMT.MSC.  You can change any partition's drive letter to anything you want except for C.

Furthermore, if you want to adjust the partitions on your now primary NVMe EVO in the NVMe0 bay, you can again use Partition Wizard to do that.  Partition Wizard can resize, delete, create, label, COPY, MOVE, etc.  So whatever you want to end up with on the 500GB EVO is possible.  Note that if you do any operation which affects the size or location or the C-partition (i.e. the running operational Windows partition) Partition Wizard will start the process right away, but will then prompt you for a re-boot to complete the remaining steps of what you've requested for C (prior to completing the re-boot and then continuing on normally to the Windows desktop).

Should be very easy now that we understand things better.  A picture's worth 1000 words.

Options

7 Posts

11-19-2017

United States of America

8 Signins

66 Page Views

• Message 7 of 11

2017-12-21, 5:28 AM

Thank you very much for all your help. Once I receive the mounting kit for the MVNe, I will go ahead with the work you described.

Thanks again,

-Chad

Options

2896 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11446 Signins

62856 Page Views

• Message 8 of 11

2017-12-21, 5:41 AM

One final note...

The cloning will also copy the Lenovo-provided "recovery partition", which is delivered so that if you create "recovery media" (using Lenovo Thinkvantage Tools) you can always revert back to initial factory-provided out-of-the-box drive state for C in the event of a super-disaster or just because you want to for your own reasons.  As such, if you copied this partition (i.e. if you DRAG/DROP all of the original partitions on your SOURCE SATA SSD) then it will also be on the new 500GB EVO. 

Up to you if you feel this "recovery" partition is important.

Myself... I don't need the partition.  Personally, I never want to go back to factory and re-do everything I've ever done since buying the machine including customization, Windows Updates, and application program installs.  For me, "recovery from disaster" means going back to the most recent backup I have of my operational production system (which can be years matured from originally factory carton state) which has integrity.

So instead of using the Lenovo-provided "recovery partition", I have an external 2TB USB 3.0 backup drive which I use to hold my regularly taken (twice each week) "system image" backups produced by running Macrium Reflect.  These are single .MRIMG files that are placed in a folder, and are like a ZIP file of the entire partition (e.g. C) that you're taking the "system image" backup of.  Macrium Reflect can be set up to automatically schedule itself to run periodically (say early on Sunday morning and Thursday morning), placing each of its "system image" backup files in a target folder on this external backup drive.

And Macrium Reflect can then use these backups to RESTORE from, in the event you need to do that. As expected the entire partition will be restored from the specific .MRIMG backup file you select from the folder of available backups, replacing the entire problem C partition with a "good working one".

Hence, I do not have my original Lenovo "recovery partition" on any Lenovo machines.  Instead I use Macrium Reflect to take regular "system image" backups to an external USB 3.0 backup drive on all my machines.  This is precisely the type of disaster/recovery protocol I want to make use of for complete partition backup/restore... if that is the extreme resolution which is appropriate.  Macrium Reflect provides creation of a WinPE-based standalone bootable "recovery media" (either bootable CD/DVD or bootable USB, or even bootable from Boot Manager menu from your internal drive) which then runs the program standalone and which can read the backups from your external USB 3.0 drive (or from your internal drives, if that's where you've placed your backup folder).

In passing I mention that I also use a second vendor product, NovaBACKUP from NovaStor, as my nightly "data" backup of all folder/file data (not Windows, which is "protected" through the "system image" backups from Macrium Reflect).  I run NovaBACKUP again automatically, to produce both (a) FULL backups of all folders/files on the 1st of every month, and (b) INCREMENTAL backups of any created/changed folders/files nightly, to backup all "data" work performed in the past 24 hours).

I feel that the selective recovery of folder/file data (in the event of loss or corruption or for whatever other reason) is easier with the functional design and GUI of NovaBACKUP. So I use NovaBACKUP monthly/nightly for my "data" backups along with Macrium Reflect for my twice-weekly "system image" backups.

I have no need for Lenovo's "recovery partition", but that's just me.

Options

7 Posts

11-19-2017

United States of America

8 Signins

66 Page Views

• Message 9 of 11

2017-12-21, 6:01 AM

Fantastic idea. I have a 2TB NAS with raid0. I already copy critical file folders down to it regularly as well. So adding system image backups would be a great idea.

Options

7 Posts

11-19-2017

United States of America

8 Signins

66 Page Views

• Message 10 of 11

2017-12-27, 23:11 PM
Operation complete. I was able to use Macrium Reflect Free to clone to the new SSD - and increased the partition size in the same operation. For some reason, even in the second m2 slot, the old SSD was still registering as the C drive and seemed to be booting from it instead of the new SSD, which was drive D, but in the NVMe 0 slot. *boggle* I solved that by removing the old SSD and booting so the new one would capture drive C. Then I was able to put the old SSD back in and reboot all clear.
The second issue I had is that the Macrium software would not allow me to remove a 1GB Win recovery partition, nor an empty 16MB partition.
But all in all, I am very happy with the results. Thank you for the detailed instructions.
-Chad
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms