11-12-2008

IT

147 Signins

827 Page Views

• Views: 827
  • Message 1 of 3

How activate Nvidia drivers?

2020-09-06, 4:22 AM

Hi. I purchased a ThinkPad w530 and I am using windows 10 pro. The screen is awful. I have another Lenovo, series g, with wonderful colours. How is the ThinkPad so? There is a panel of control and according to it Nvidia are activate. What I can do, please?

Thanks and best,

davide

Solved! See the solution
Options

2508 Posts

06-13-2013

US

10973 Signins

59046 Page Views

• Views: 59046
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:How activate Nvidia drivers?

2020-09-06, 21:20 PM

If your W530 has nVidia graphics (which it appears to, from your description) you should go into the BIOS and set Config -> Display to "discrete graphics". I suspect it is currently set to "Optimus mode" which is a hybrid of both Intel built-in graphics as well as nVidia.

Optimus mode (i.e. "hybrid")  uses the Intel graphics for the laptop screen unless additional graphics horsepower is needed in which case the nVidia graphics kicks in to provide additional graphics power. For external monitors the nVidia graphics are always used. So for everyday graphics needs and situations the laptop screen is mostly under the control of Intel graphics.  Theoretically in Optimus mode you can use nVidia Control Panel to force the nVidia GPU to be used on the laptop screen for specific programs, but I've never been very successful at that.

Note that if you do go with "discrete graphics" you will use more battery power when running portable. So the lifetime of the W530 when not plugged into wall power will be less than it would be with "Optimus mode". In other words Optimus mode is designed to use less electricity for the laptop screen, which provides longer lifetime on battery when running portable. But if you're plugged into wall power you might as well get the best possible graphics perfomance and that will be if you use the nVidia graphics for the laptop screen, i.e. "discrete graphics". Since you're not using battery it makes no difference, so you might as well get the benefit of the nVidia graphics 100% of the time.

==> keep your W530 plugged into wall power, and set your BIOS Config -> Display to "discrete graphics". 

Now, regarding colors on the screen. It is possible your color management profile is not set properly for the laptop screen. Since the W530 was originally shipped back around 2012 when Win7 was the pre-installed version of Windows, obviously somebody has installed Win10 on it since that time.  And it's possible the correct INF for the monitor was not installed, along with the correct color ICM file also not getting installed.

The up-to-date driver and monitor INF for the W530 is available from the Lenovo Thinkpad W530 PC Support Site for Win10 x64. In particular you want to download and install that monitor INF, which should also install the default color ICM file for the W530 laptop screen (which is named TPLCD95.ICM). We have to assume the W530 laptop screen you have is not broken or defective, because if so that might also explain why your colors are bad even if that monitor INF file is installed.

Furthermore, for your experimenting I am attaching a ZIP file containing FOUR separate ICM color profiles for the W530 (including that TPLCD95.ICM which comes from Lenovo in the "monitor INF" download). You can "add" them using the Color Management for the laptop screen and then try each of them to see what seems most accurate for you. Three of them were produced from display calibrations (of my own W530 as well as from other people), so they each may produce somewhat different results on your own screen. But you can try all four and then just go with whichever one you prefer.  Unzip the attached file and you can then add each ICM profile individually, and then you can select them and try them individually.

Assuming you're running as I suggested, in "discrete graphics" mode which uses only the nVidia K1000m or K2000m graphics in your W530, to install a color ICM pro:

(1) right-click on desktop and select "display settings" from the popup menu

(2) scroll down and click on the "advanced display settings" link, to get the advanced display settings dialog window

(3) click on "display adapter properties for Display 1" to get the Properties dialot window for your nVidia graphics adapter

(4) click on the "Color management" tab, and then push the "color management" button, to get the "color management" dialog window

(5) check the "use my settings for this device" box

(6) push the ADD... button, to add each of the four ICM profiles from my ZIP file.

(7) you can then select each one individually and push the "SET AS DEFAULT PROFILE" button, which will activate that ICM profile and adjust the color on the screen immediately.

You can alternate between each of the installed color profiles and try each one. The effect should happen in real time when you push the "SET AS DEFAULT PROFILE", but just to be sure the color change effect is real you probably should re-boot after each one, just to be absolutely sure.  You can come back to this COLOR MANAGEMENT tab to ensure that the ICM profile you selected actually is in effect and operational.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

159 Posts

11-12-2008

IT

147 Signins

827 Page Views

• Views: 827
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:How activate Nvidia drivers?

2020-09-07, 3:20 AM

Wow. Thanks for the work you made for me and many compliments. I will select your answer as solution. Please, forgive me for the delay of my posts, but I live in Italy.

Thanks and best,

davide

P.S. I am anxious and excited.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete