Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

8 Posts

11-09-2008

California, USA

16 Signins

85 Page Views

• Views: 85
  • Message 1 of 3

How long should initial setup take?

2009-03-01, 0:28 AM

I received my new W700 w/3.0Ghx core2 extreme duo, 4G RAM and 2x320G RAID-1 disks & Vista business 64bit installed. I plugged it in, turned it, chose my language and setup an admin account. That was an hour ago. I'm still looking at the desktp splash screen and the disk silo led is flashing as though the disk is getting accessed.

How long is this initial setup supposed to take?

Is there any way to know if it's alive or dead?

Options

147 Posts

11-13-2008

Scotland

163 Signins

2737 Page Views

• Views: 2737
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: How long should initial setup take?

2009-03-02, 14:12 PM

wrote:

I received my new W700 w/3.0Ghx core2 extreme duo, 4G RAM and 2x320G RAID-1 disks & Vista business 64bit installed. I plugged it in, turned it, chose my language and setup an admin account. That was an hour ago. I'm still looking at the desktp splash screen and the disk silo led is flashing as though the disk is getting accessed.

How long is this initial setup supposed to take?

Is there any way to know if it's alive or dead?

I would restart the computer and try to recover with F11. That doesn't sound right at all. Next step is phone Lenovo and ask for a set of recovery disks as long as not provided.

This behaviour is definitely not normal.

Cheers

Options

8 Posts

11-09-2008

California, USA

16 Signins

85 Page Views

• Views: 85
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: How long should initial setup take?

2009-03-02, 16:38 PM

Thanks crisdean.

Seized with unaccustomed patience, I continued to wait after posting and after another 45 minutes or so, it sprang to life (after nearly 2 hours total). I suppose that it could have been building the RAID array, though I've never had that take so long, even on much bigger arrays assembled out of bare metal.

I got the machine set up, updated and made a set of Vista rescue discs to supplement the XP discs that I purchased. Today I intend to wipe the discs, bad-block them, and install Linux, which is my ultimate goal.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms