Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

01-22-2018

United States of America

4 Signins

47 Page Views

• Views: 47
  • Message 1 of 4

How to Upgrade W700 OS to Win 10 Creator

2018-01-22, 19:47 PM

Unfortunately, I installed Win 10 on my Thinkpad W700 a few months ago and now it keeps trying to update the OS past build 1511.  Has anyone done this successfully and what did you have to do?  I have tried everything I can find on stopping these automatic updates but unsuccessfully. 

I'll listen to any suggestions including a clean install of Win 7 and throwing Win 10 in the trash where it belongs.  :smileyfrustrated:

Answer
Options

2 Posts

01-22-2018

United States of America

3 Signins

22 Page Views

• Views: 22

Re: How to Upgrade W700 OS to Win 10 Creator

2018-01-22, 22:09 PM

I did the same thing on my W700ds. I installed Windows 10 about a year ago and recently whenever I tried to install the latest updates (like to the latest 1709) it would either take a really long time when downloading and installing the update or even when it would finish that, it would hang forever when rebooting, showing the spinner like it was finalizing the update.  I even let it sit there for 24 hours on the chance it was just really slow, but eventually I'd end up powering down and rebooting, and the installation would never finish.

Finally just this past weekend I created a bootable USB with the latest 1709 build and did a wipe and fresh install and it seems to be working fine so far.

In other words, I have no idea what was causing the update to fail, but doing a clean install to the newest version works for some reason.

Now I just have to dig out the fingerprint software which, I think, is the only thing that Win10 doesn't recognize by default. Who knows, maybe that's the part that was causing the update to fail since I had to install those drivers manually when I first installed Win10 a year ago.

Replies(3)
Answer
Options

2 Posts

01-22-2018

United States of America

3 Signins

22 Page Views

• Message 2 of 4

2018-01-22, 22:09 PM

I did the same thing on my W700ds. I installed Windows 10 about a year ago and recently whenever I tried to install the latest updates (like to the latest 1709) it would either take a really long time when downloading and installing the update or even when it would finish that, it would hang forever when rebooting, showing the spinner like it was finalizing the update.  I even let it sit there for 24 hours on the chance it was just really slow, but eventually I'd end up powering down and rebooting, and the installation would never finish.

Finally just this past weekend I created a bootable USB with the latest 1709 build and did a wipe and fresh install and it seems to be working fine so far.

In other words, I have no idea what was causing the update to fail, but doing a clean install to the newest version works for some reason.

Now I just have to dig out the fingerprint software which, I think, is the only thing that Win10 doesn't recognize by default. Who knows, maybe that's the part that was causing the update to fail since I had to install those drivers manually when I first installed Win10 a year ago.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

3 Posts

01-22-2018

United States of America

4 Signins

47 Page Views

• Views: 47
  • Message 3 of 4

2018-01-27, 21:32 PM

I'm afraid that may be where I'm headed.  But the graphics driver is also an issue and working through that with Nvidea at the moment.

Thanks for the reply.

Options

2 Posts

01-22-2018

United States of America

3 Signins

22 Page Views

• Message 4 of 4

2018-01-27, 22:03 PM

I've found that, for now, it's safer to just stick with the Nvidia drivers that come with Windows 10.  On my old build, I was using the latest Nvidia drivers but I kept encountering some instabilities, especially over remote desktop sessions that update the graphics often (remotely viewing security video, for example). It would crash my RDP session and the error indicated it was the Nvidia driver at fault.

After rebuilding from scratch and sticking with the Win10 drivers, I haven't had that issue a single time which is amazing, so I'm sticking with it. It's actually pretty good. The Nvidia Quadro FX3700M says it's using driver version 21.21.13.4201 dated 2016-11-14 which is probably about when Nvidia stopped really supporting that model anyway, so I'm happy with it.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms