Options

96 Posts

07-24-2008

US

130 Signins

802 Page Views

• Views: 802
  • Message 1 of 18

How to reduce the super noisy fan noise in P1?

2019-05-25, 0:47 AM

Just started using a brand new Xeon P1 with close to top of the line specs.  The fan makes too much noise and frequently comes on even when the PC is lying idle.  This is when the PC is set to max performance. My older P50 model never makes so much noise in spite of the highest performance load.  I saw that there are a few who had this complaint with P1.  But couldn't quite figure out a direct solution to this problem other than raising the laptop off the ground or putting extra cooling fans below it.  I really hope there is a more direct and easy solution to this.  Can anyone please suggest?

Options

222 Posts

08-02-2018

PH

155 Signins

855 Page Views

• Views: 855
  • Message 2 of 18

Re: How to reduce the super noisy fan noise in P1?

2019-05-25, 8:17 AM

Hi kkrathi! Thanks for posting in our community. Have you already installed the latest driver update from our website? Please pull up the Lenovo Vantage (https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht505081) on your laptop then scan for software update. Install all that will show up on the result then observe if you will have the same issue. 

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

96 Posts

07-24-2008

US

130 Signins

802 Page Views

• Views: 802
  • Message 3 of 18

2019-05-25, 16:55 PM

Hi.  Yes it is updated with latest system updates and driver updates.  I used the Lenovo vantage app to get all my updates.  But the noise problem is still there.

Options

902 Posts

01-04-2018

US

501 Signins

6226 Page Views

• Views: 6226
  • Message 4 of 18

2019-05-26, 4:30 AM
You should monitor your temperatures. Likely, you might want to undervolt your CPU. The fans are cranking up to keep the CPU temperatures cool. Even at idle, CPU temperatures can rise on high performance mixed with no undervolting.
Options

9 Posts

05-24-2019

GB

19 Signins

204 Page Views

• Views: 204
  • Message 5 of 18

2019-05-26, 6:11 AM

The soloution is to remove the CPU heatsink and fan assembly and re assemble with a decent thermal paste. there is a history of over heating work station thinkpads with poorly applied thermal paste causeing over heating problems.

This should never be a problem on a brand new P1 laptop. As its under warranty i would return it for service or replacment. After just replacing my thermal paste on my W541 myself useing thermal grizzly I have experinced much better temps ( before 99c throttling all the time, after thermal paste replacment 79c with Max boost) and my laptop has never been better. much better than when new, i wish i had done this much earlier. The thermal paste application i found when striped down was realy poorly applied, no wonder my cooling fan was always on but seemed to do very little unless runing flat out noisy and still thermal throttled the CPU under full load.

After all these are supossed to be work station laptops, thermal issues and fans running flat out trying to cool should not be an issue.

Undervolting the CPU to cure over heating CPU is not the anwser to poorly applied thermal paste or heatsink. after all you didnt buy a workstation laptop to reduce its performance because of a poorly applied heatsink and thermal paste.

RMA your machine or have service replace the thermal paste. but no garentee they will use a good quality thermal paste of course.

Options

902 Posts

01-04-2018

US

501 Signins

6226 Page Views

• Message 6 of 18

2019-05-26, 7:35 AM
Undervolting does NOT affect performance. A CPU uses power obviously, but its performance is measured by its clock speed. Undervolting seeks to maintain a CPU's functionality/performance while lowering it's power consumption.

You can think of the CPU as a person with a high metabolism who consumes more calories than needed, and undervolting as lowering that person's consumption. The extra calories being consumed don't do much good since the body is already receiving enough, and it wont even store the extra as fat. The CPU is receiving power that the manufacturer knows the CPU will definitely function with. However, it's almost always more than needed. The extra power generates more heat.

Applying new thermal paste is also a good suggestion, but undervolting is usually plenty. Replacing thermal paste costs money, so undervolting to see if that solves the issue is usually a better first step.
Options

9 Posts

05-24-2019

GB

19 Signins

204 Page Views

• Message 7 of 18

2019-05-26, 8:43 AM

Undervolting does NOT affect performance. A CPU uses power obviously, but its performance is measured by its clock speed. Undervolting seeks to maintain a CPU's functionality/performance while lowering it's power consumption.

The whole point of purchasing a laptop is it working as it should out of the BOX why should user's have to undervolt there CPU to get the machine to behave as its sold to them. IE: running at the spec's and speed it supposed to run at. Not every purchaser of a machine be it desktop or laptop has the know how of how to undervolt there machine. Do lenovo include a instruction sheet in the box saying if your machine throttles or over heats please undervolt it, here's the instructions of how? of course they don't, these machines should run at the spec out of the box.

You shouldn't have to re apply thermal paste on the CPU or GPU either if they used high grade thermal pastes at the factory, the thermal paste in my machine was dried out and a consistency of dried cheese. it offered very poor thermal transfer of heat from CPU to heatsink. the application of the thermal paste is critical on high end machines, and quality of the thermal paste also.

when you are paying $1000 plus would it put you off paying $1002 to know the factory used a high end thermal paste, of course not and lenovo would gain as returns and complaints would be far less. Today there are some great thermal paste solutions that remain fluid and consistent for many many years, using a thermal paste that dries out makes no sense as the high end machines obviously produce heat with high end CPU's.and poor thermal paste's dry out quickly.

Also its not just about thermal paste, some times the heatsink isn't sitting flat to the CPU offering minimal gap between heatsink and CPU surface. thermal paste requires a thin layer to work efficiently this can only be down to production and assembly of the machines from the factory.

Yes we know people sit there assembling these machines one after another and have set targets to meet in they must complete X amount in X amount of time. so are under pressure to put them together as fast as possible to max out productivity. lenovo needs to address the production and use of high quality thermal paste and its application, if they do the thermal issues will be far far less along with the complaints.

No under volting unless in the manual ( which it is not ) 

No throttle stopping unless in the manual ( which it is not )

If the above is needed to have your laptop run to the spec's then lenovo should supply software built in to do so. 

If all the CPU's can run under volted then this needs to be done at factory level, but as we know not all silicone is equal and intel decides what the minimal voltage should be by the VID of your CPU. I am not saying you cant under volt, i am saying you shouldn't have to!

All user's want is a machine that runs at the spec's shown, they should not have to anything but use the machine. not fiddle about with additional software to try and get there machine to do what it says it can.

Options

902 Posts

01-04-2018

US

501 Signins

6226 Page Views

• Message 8 of 18

2019-05-26, 15:52 PM
The computer IS working out of the box and at spec, something they wouldn't be able to guarantee if the CPU was given less voltage beforehand. It takes testing to know just how much you can take off and that differs with every computer.

The thermal paste most manufacturers use isn't the best for heat, but they'll usually argue that it lives long. Either way, high end thermal paste can be costly. Think of what manufacturers do the same as when a teacher makes students grade other student papers. If you have thousands of machines, you can't possibly fine tune all of them. Give them to the people in a condition you know they'll all work in, and let them tweak it to perfection.

Intel (the CPU manufacturer) has free to download software called Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility that can be used for undervolting.

The machine is working fine, temperatures just need the fan to crank up to keep them low. To avoid this, undervolting is usually a good and final solution. I do understand your point, that in a perfect world the computer would have no issues and everything would be great. But that's unfortunately a tall order.
Options

9 Posts

05-24-2019

GB

19 Signins

204 Page Views

• Message 9 of 18

2019-05-27, 8:50 AM

The machine is working fine, temperatures just need the fan to crank up to keep them low. To avoid this, undervolting is usually a good and final solution. I do understand your point, that in a perfect world the computer would have no issues and everything would be great. But that's unfortunately a tall order.

The machine is not working fine or you wouldn't need to have to crank up the fan, again using third party software TPfan control. where on the instructions does it say please download TPfc if your laptop gets hot. and under volting again as a final solution is not good enough as most buyers wouldn't even know about under volting or how to set it up. an enthusiast might look in this direction but most buyers just want it to work out of the box. you shouldn't have to use any third party software to have a functional laptop working at spec. if any software is needed then lenovo should provide it with the machine.

The thermal paste used is awful as it dries out and has very poor thermal performance, if lenovo were to change this one thing, under volting and extreme fan profiles would not be needed. as you see on these very forums people spend alot of money to buy work station machines only to find over heating, slow downs and stuttering, with complete shut downs of there machines.

I am sorry if anyone thinks this is good enough for the money spent on high end machines, but i do not think it is. When i purchase a high end machine to have the performance i want, I don't expect it to be throttling, after 2 mins through over heating. I don't expect the fan to be screaming like a jet aircraft trying to keep it cool either. On a $2000 machine i expect high quality components not put together with 2 cent thermal paste not even applied properly. and i definitely don't expect to have to search around for third party software to try and tame my $2000 machine. When i give my machine a task i want it to do it at MAX performance, what i paid for.

every one can use analogies to try and convince people that its acceptable for this to be normal behaviour.

Would you except you purchased a car that claims a 70mph cruise speed all day long, you get on the motorway but find at 50mph the car is fine, but at 70mph it over heats and breaks down. you try again and yet at 70mph it again breaks down over heating. yet at 50 mph you watch cars going past you at 70mph. now do you complain to the dealer that the car can not do 70mph and remain cool, or do you deploy some superfandango fan arrangement on the radiator to super cool while driving at 70mph. we fit the fans and all is good, we can now do 70mph woohoo but i cant listen to the radio or music as i have the superfandango fans screaming at me. i also cant talk in the car because no one can hear what i am saying, i cant hear the other person either.  the question is would you accept that as normal, and put up with it for the sake of complaint, of course you wouldnt, why should you, the car should do 70mph and not break down.

The moral is, you take your machine from box, it should run at its MAX speed all day long, and you shouldn't need Superfandango fan profiles to keep it working at Max speed.

Rant over, lenovo please apply high grade thermal paste, that does not crack or dry out, which causes your machines to not work as advertised to us the public who once believed your sales pitch on the very best money can buy.

Options

902 Posts

01-04-2018

US

501 Signins

6226 Page Views

• Message 10 of 18

2019-05-27, 16:37 PM

By the way OP, you should try right clicking the battery icon in the task bar, go to power options, change plan settings, change advanced power settings, go to processor power management, and turn system cooling policy to "passive".

If you decide to undervolt, another post on this forum showed someone was able to get quiet fans with an undervolt of -125 with the "i7 16GB 512GB 4k screen with the P2000" configuration. I wouldn't recommend jumping right to that undervolt, but build up to it.

To Vapormatt - You don't need 3rd party software, the fans will adjust automatically to keep temperatures stable. Which also means the laptop wont "break down" if you push it to the max as with the car analogy.

With your W541, it's possible it was a factory error and thermal paste was applied improperly, things can happen. I can understand the frustration, but I don't even know a single company (not to say there may not be one) which would sell a laptop with higher end thermal paste, and many people aren't facing these issues with their laptops. Again, I see your point, but high end thermal paste would only raise the prices of all devices, when for a few dollars anyone who actually needs better thermal paste can purchase the thermal paste they desire.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete