Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

8 Posts

11-15-2013

USA

16 Signins

147 Page Views

• Views: 147
  • Message 1 of 5

I can't get to BIOS if internal HD is plugged in

2013-11-22, 4:34 AM

W520 running BIOS version 1.35

If I remove the hard drive, I can get into the BIOS just fine (I am talking about the internal HD, Intel 320).   I wanted to change the boot order.  However it makes no difference once I reconnect the hard drive, it wants the hard drive password first, won't let me boot from anything else or get to the BIOS, and I've either forgotten it (honestly I never had it set to my knowledge, only had a Supervisor password, but now I am getting prompted for a HD password after Windows froze and I had to force shut down while plugged into Ethernet cable;  I think some Wake On LAN settings caused a BIOS bug to occur or something because it changed my boot order and tried to PXE boot... can't understand it, no PXE environment on my LAN, it's just a regular router). 

It seems like the BIOS is actually stored on the hard drive? (And since when is BIOS stored on hard drive?!?)  Is there any way I can actually get into the BIOS with my hard drive connected?  What is going on here?

I'm trying to boot from USB so I can run a disk utility and check the SMART status on the Intel 320 SSD.   I believe I'm deal with a BIOS bug even though Lenovo refuses to acknowledge or look into it.  All I can think to try is make sure the disk is not faulty. 

I've also tried flashing the BIOS but it seems to make no difference... if the hard disk is connected it won't boot from any other media, and if the hard disk isn't connected, it doesn't seem to actually flash the BIOS as the version never changes from 1.35.

Answer
Options

12327 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40510 Signins

427464 Page Views

• Views: 427464

Re: I can't get to BIOS if internal HD is plugged in

2013-11-26, 7:09 AM
The drive pw is needed at power up, whether you boot into the bios or an os. It is not needed on a restart, assuming it was entered at power up.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Replies(4)
Options

8 Posts

11-15-2013

USA

16 Signins

147 Page Views

• Message 2 of 5

2013-11-22, 4:51 AM

Also have seen issues of password only being accepted on warm boot, not cold boot: https://communities.intel.com/message/160000#160000

I seem to vaguely remember encoutering this issue once myself but can't remember how I worked around it.

I'm wondering if my PC is stuck in cold boot mode and giving me this password problem now because I can't get it to boot into anything.  Regardless of the password issue I just want to be able to boot from USB and can't even do that or get into the BIOS, that's what I need support on.  If there is a password on the disk I understand I can't get help with that.  But if there is a known bug where the correct password isn't being accepted?  What then?

Called Lenovo Tech Support, had an on-site visit, and it was all an utterly useless endeavor.  I guess you say the word Password and a panic button goes off and they basically tell you to take a hike without actually listening to the problem or trying to understand what's going on....

Someone out there from Lenovo who actually can take the time to think about what's happening here, please help!

Answer
Options

12327 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40510 Signins

427464 Page Views

• Views: 427464
  • Message 3 of 5

2013-11-26, 7:09 AM
The drive pw is needed at power up, whether you boot into the bios or an os. It is not needed on a restart, assuming it was entered at power up.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

8 Posts

11-15-2013

USA

16 Signins

147 Page Views

• Message 4 of 5

2013-11-29, 8:29 AM

Thanks for clarifiying that Rick.  Still, as mentioned by other users the password would work in one case and not another.  I'm certain this is what I am up against but there is no way to tell of course.

I am guessing the drive is bricked then :(

Options

1220 Posts

12-24-2010

Perth, Australia

259 Signins

21576 Page Views

• Views: 21576
  • Message 5 of 5

2013-11-30, 14:49 PM

Hi w520woes,

Yes your drive is bricked. There is no way to reset ordelete a hard drive passwor when it has been set.

You will need a new drive.

Vince.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information on it.

ThinkPad T510 4313-CTO Windows 8 x64 - Intel Core i7-620M - NVIDIA NVS 3100M - 8GB RAM - 240GB SSD- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 - Gobi 2000.
ThinkPad Helix 3697-CTO Windows 8.1 x64 - Intel Core i7-3667U - Intel HD Graphics 4000 - 8GB RAM- 256GB SSD - Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 - Ericsson C5621gw

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms