Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

9644 Posts

12-27-2009

Canada

3313 Signins

95283 Page Views

• Views: 95283
  • Message 21 of 66

Re: I've got a W520 that will not duplicate the monitor to a projector or external monitor

2011-07-29, 1:16 AM
I miss the old manual switchable graphics. :(

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
Options

16 Posts

07-24-2011

NY, USA

17 Signins

63 Page Views

• Views: 63
  • Message 22 of 66

Re: I've got a W520 that will not duplicate the monitor to a projector or external monitor

2011-08-02, 23:19 PM

Hi,

is there any update on this really basic problem that every workstation should be able to do without trouble?

Today, I tried again to connect a VGA projector to W520. The only mode I could get this thing to work was "extended", but only after working with the Nvidia  Control Panel. When trying to start "duplicate", which is what I want, the W520 shows colored stripes and then changes to "extended". I have not even the chance to change any monitors in the Nvidia Control Panel. 

After switchiing back and forth a couple of times, I was able to click on the correct box in teh Nvidia panel, but that did not make any difference.

This is a very essential business feature that every normal laptop can do. Why not this very expensive workstation?

I am thankful for any help, and think that this should be maybe also acknowledged by Lenovo.

Thanks, MCheiron 

Options

43 Posts

10-15-2008

san jose, ca

61 Signins

248 Page Views

• Views: 248
  • Message 23 of 66

2011-08-02, 23:21 PM

Did you try to go into the bios and set the graphics to "discreet only"?

Options

16 Posts

07-24-2011

NY, USA

17 Signins

63 Page Views

• Message 24 of 66

2011-08-03, 0:07 AM

Hi pkellner,

I will give that a try, but I would really like to use Optimus to keep the system cool and battery life long. I did set the BIOS to discete only, just to check if the Nvidia card is working. It does work just fine, but the system gets a little warm.

Thanks for you answer,

MCheiron 

Options

2483 Posts

04-08-2011

United States of America

5471 Signins

46460 Page Views

• Views: 46460
  • Message 25 of 66

2011-08-03, 3:57 AM

wrote:

Hi pkellner,

I will give that a try, but I would really like to use Optimus to keep the system cool and battery life long. I did set the BIOS to discete only, just to check if the Nvidia card is working. It does work just fine, but the system gets a little warm.

So would the rest of us.  But that would mean Lenovo, Intel and NVIDIA get all the Optimus bugs fixed.

You can run nice and cool on discrete.  Learn to use Power Manager.  It's your friend.

Options

16 Posts

07-24-2011

NY, USA

17 Signins

63 Page Views

• Message 26 of 66

2011-08-03, 17:47 PM

@ ThorsHammer: can you give me some basic power manager settings for presentations, so that I can run with the discrete card for 2 hours or more and have a screen or projector attached? Thanks a lot.

@ all

Here are my finding from today:

Intel HD only:

"extended": does not work, laptop screen shows discoloration, stripes, low resolution, there is a second "standard screen" visible in the Nvidia controll panel that is turned on as well

"duplicate": does not work, laptop screen shows discoloration, stripes, low resolution,  there is a second "standard screen" visible in the Nvidia controll panel that is turned on as well 

"projector only" : does not work, laptop screen shows discoloration, stripes, low resolution 

"computer only": works as assumed

Nvidia only:

everything works

Optimus:

"extended" works

"duplicate"  does not work, laptop screen shows discoloration, stripes, low resolution,  there is a second "standard screen" visible in the Nvidia controll panel under the Intel HD card

"projector only", I forgot that setting

"computer only", works

Maybe that helps somebody. It would be great, if we could turn Optimus on and off with a little program and not have to restart.

Thanks, MCheiron 

Options

2483 Posts

04-08-2011

United States of America

5471 Signins

46460 Page Views

• Message 27 of 66

2011-08-03, 18:33 PM

I've been using Low or Turbo but I am still experimenting with the 1.26 BIOS and Power Manager settings.  The article at http://blogs.technet.com/b/keithcombs/archive/2011/07/27/sandy-bridge-turbo-boost-and-thermals-notes-from-the-field.aspx seems to confirm my findings.

Options

132 Posts

11-29-2007

RTP, NC

141 Signins

1978 Page Views

• Views: 1978
  • Message 28 of 66

2011-08-08, 18:37 PM

Cloned displays will work in Optimus mode.

First and foremost, the system needs to be on the current versions of both the system BIOS and Optimus drivers:
BIOS:
Windows flash: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS018884
Bootable CD (ISO): http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS018887

Optimus Driver:
Win7 32-bit: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS013693
Win7 64-bit: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS014142

Here is an excerpt from the Optimus driver ReadMe file that explains the technology as well as how to setup "clone mode":
NVIDIA Optimus Technology

SUPPORTED DISPLAY DEVICES

Lenovo ThinkPads are equipped with NVIDIA's Optimus Technology. It has the
  ability to use two display adapters simultaneously.

Below is the list of devices that are supported per device

ThinkPad T420, T420i, T420s, T420si, T520, T520i
      NVIDIA Graphics: NVIDIA NVS 4200M
      Intel Graphics : Intel HD Graphics Family

ThinkPad W520
      NVIDIA Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro 1000M or NVIDIA Quadro 2000M
      Intel Graphics : Intel HD Graphics Family

DISPLAY TOPOLOGY

Since Optimus Technology has the ability to use two display adapters, some
  display monitors (or displays) are assigned to specific adapter. Below
  describes which display adapter controls the display connector for a certain
  display monitor.

ThinkPad T420, T420i, T420s, T420si, T520, T520i
      NVIDIA NVS 4200M
          - Computer's DisplayPort connector
          - Docking Station's DVI connector(s) or DisplayPort connector(s)

Intel HD Graphics Family
          - (Computer's LCD)
          - Computer's analog VGA connector
          - Docking Station's analog VGA connector

ThinkPad W520
      NVIDIA Quadro 1000M or NVIDIA Quadro 2000M
          - Computer's analog VGA connector
          - Docking Station's analog VGA connector
          - Computer's DisplayPort connector
          - Docking Station's DVI connector(s) or DisplayPort connector(s)

Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
          - (Computer's LCD)

DUAL ADAPTER CLONE

Dual Adapter Clone is a technology where display output from one display
  adapter is cloned to another display adapter. This feature is unique for
  NVIDIA Optimus Technology starting from second generation Optimus technology.
  The only difference between cross adapter clone and traditional clone is that
  the former involves two display adapters while the latter involves only one.

HOW TO CONFIGURE DUAL ADAPTER CLONE

Dual Adapter Clone is only supported and be configured in NVIDIA Control Panel.
  As an example, the procedure below describes the steps on how to configure the
  dual adapter clone. Remember that the dual adapter clone involves two
  different graphics devices, so the 'Display Topology' section above will give
  you an idea which combinations can support dual adapter clone, otherwise, it
  is considered as a traditional clone.

The procedure below assumes to use the LCD and DisplayPort monitor connected
  to the computer.
  1. Attach a DisplayPort monitor to the computer.
  2. Open the NVIDIA Control Panel, and on the left pane, select 'Setup multiple
     displays' under 'Display' tree.
  3. On the right panel, under 'Select the display you want to use', check both
     LCD and DisplayPort monitor.
  4. Under 'Verify your display configuration', right click on either the LCD or
     DisplayPort display icon.
  5. Select 'Duplicate with 1 (use 2 as source)' then click Apply.

Note: The Dual Adapter Clone can not be enabled by using the Windows display
        control panel or the Intel's display control panel.

Options

2483 Posts

04-08-2011

United States of America

5471 Signins

46460 Page Views

• Message 29 of 66

2011-08-08, 20:11 PM

wrote:

Cloned displays will work in Optimus mode.

First and foremost, the system needs to be on the current versions of both the system BIOS and Optimus drivers:
BIOS:
Windows flash: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS018884
Bootable CD (ISO): http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS018887

Optimus Driver:
Win7 32-bit: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS013693
Win7 64-bit: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS014142

Here is an excerpt from the Optimus driver ReadMe file that explains the technology as well as how to setup "clone mode":

Note: The Dual Adapter Clone can not be enabled by using the Windows display
        control panel or the Intel's display control panel.

Control of extended desktop and duplicate desktop is not reliable when the BIOS is set to NVIDIA Optimus even with the latest BIOS and video drives quoted above. That includes using the NVIDIA Control Panel.

The most reliable environment is with the BIOS set to Discrete only.  Then you can use Windows 7 as it was intended to be used.

Further, the BIOS and video driver above still have the output bug..  For those of you not familiar with this bug, you won't get output on external displays until Windows is fully up and running.  This presents a problem for those of us that have a BitLocker or BIOS password or pin.

Therefore, use Discrete until Lenovo really gets this all fixed.

Options

16 Posts

07-24-2011

NY, USA

17 Signins

63 Page Views

• Message 30 of 66

2011-08-11, 5:38 AM

Hi Icepick,

thanks for your answer. The problem is for sure not solved by using the newest drivers and even with display port. The projector output is very unstable. This needs to be solved by Lenovo, Intel, and Nvidia, since this is a basic feature and should also work with the Lenovo buttons (Fn+F7) without following any proceedures.

Additionally, it should flawlessly work with the VGA output since most business projectors are still using VGA (we have only two display port projectors).

Thanks, MCheiron

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms