Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

06-10-2021

United States of America

10 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 1 of 7

Intel RST Driver 17.5.1.1021 update causes P52s to not boot after restart

2021-06-16, 18:08 PM

I've spent days trying to track down what crashed my laptop and this is what I've narrowed it down to.

I have reinstalled Windows 10 20H2 and turned off Windows Updates. I then loaded some updates from the Lenovo website for this Thinkpad P52s, but did NOT allow the critical update of the Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Driver version 17.5.1.1021 to be installed.  Then I created a Windows Restore Point. 

Now I can CONSISTENTLY install that Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Driver version 17.5.1.1021 and when I restart, Windows will NOT boot.  It starts the boot cycle, but then just displays a Boot Manager screen to select a drive to boot from and the SATA hard drive is not in the list.  From there I can try Repairing Windows, but it just fails. The only thing I can successfully do at that point is either restore from my Restore Point or reinstall Windows.

So, I could manage with this, except that if I turn on Windows Updates so that I can get Windows security updates, it will also automatically this RST drive too and crashes the system again.

The first time the problem occurred was on June 8 when the laptop was still running Windows 10 2004 I think.  Everything had been running OK until that morning and I think when Windows pushed out Tuesday updates that morning and the laptop restarted, that's when I got the first boot manager screen and couldn't boot.  That day I tried restoring to a restore point, but it returned some kind of error that said a restore couldn't be done.  It looked to me at that point it was a Windows Update or hard drive crash or something, but since I could reinstall Windows and can function just fine until I apply updates (specifically that Intel RST update), it seems to be the Intel RST driver.

Any guidance or advice would be appreciated.

Options

2596 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

192 Signins

13060 Page Views

• Views: 13060
  • Message 2 of 7

Re:Intel RST Driver 17.5.1.1021 update causes P52s to not boot after restart

2021-06-17, 16:58 PM

Hello Ginnys,

Greetings

Would you be able to update the driver thru the Lenovo support site?
Kindly review this discussion and try the steps mentioned here: 
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-disable-automatic-driver-update-in-windows/6fd6ed0e-7cc8-4e0f-a2fb-e72af0571bfb

Update us how it goes

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

5 Posts

06-10-2021

United States of America

10 Signins

45 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2021-06-25, 19:11 PM

I'm not so sure anymore about the exact update that causes the laptop to become unbootable. As I said before, if I just apply the Intel RST driver update (from the Lenovo site), the laptop becomes unbootable, but I also seemed to successfully change group policy to NOT apply driver updates during the Windows update process (like in the article you suggested), but after installing just Windows updates, the laptop becomes unbootable again. I can always restore back to my stable Restore Point, but something about these updates is causing boot issues.

Options

5 Posts

06-10-2021

United States of America

10 Signins

45 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2021-06-28, 18:18 PM

I'm not so sure anymore about the exact update that causes the laptop to become unbootable. As I said before, if I just apply the Intel RST driver update (from the Lenovo site), the laptop becomes unbootable, but I also seemed to successfully change group policy to NOT apply driver updates during the Windows update process (like in the article you suggested), but after installing just Windows updates, the laptop becomes unbootable again. I can always restore back to my stable Restore Point, but something about these updates is causing boot issues.

Options

3 Posts

08-17-2020

United States of America

3 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 5 of 7

2021-07-09, 17:10 PM

I was having the same issue with the 17.5.1.1021 driver bricking my laptop.  I have a lenovo P73.  I reconfigured my raid configuration from Raid 0 to raid 1, and did a fresh install of windows 10 pro.  Disabled driver updates via GPO. So that should take care of that.  MY only question is the driver update listed on the intel site for RST is a different version.  I am afraid to install the one from lenovo or the one on the website.  

Options

5 Posts

06-10-2021

United States of America

10 Signins

45 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2021-07-09, 17:33 PM

Since my last post, what I did was a complete reinstall of Windows 10 with a downloaded copy of Windows 10 version 21H1 on a USB device, and did not allow connecting to WiFi until I could disable Driver Updates during Widows Update via Local Group Policy (I'm not putting laptop back on our company domain either).   I did not change my RAID configuration or any BIOS settings - left them all as default settings.

Since then, I have applied Windows Updates twice with no problems (no driver updates though because of my Group Policy setting).  So now I feel almost certain it is a compatibility problem with the Intel RST driver update - either from the Intel website or the Lenovo website (or via Windows Update).

I've created a Restore Point and will continue to monitor the issue as future Windows Updates are applied.  In the distant future, I might try updating drivers again just to see if anything has magically been corrected.

Options

2596 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

192 Signins

13060 Page Views

• Views: 13060
  • Message 7 of 7

2021-07-16, 18:42 PM

Try to note down the Intel version so not unless a newer version do work well with the latest Windows build that we can be more confident that crashing won’t happen.

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms