Options

4 Posts

07-11-2014

Seattle, Washington

5 Signins

92 Page Views

• Views: 92
  • Message 31 of 34

Re: Intel WIFI Link 5100 AGN Network Adapter does not recognize Linksys Wireless Router

2014-07-16, 20:51 PM

Thank you for getting back to me! 

My laptop’s serial number is Type 2242-55U, which is a T500.  Product id is 224255U.  The Intel WiFi Link 5100 AGN network adapter is using driver v.13.4.0.9 dated 10/17/2010.  

It is running Vista Business.  I bought it used about a week ago.  I also have a problem with the battery not holding enough charge to run the machine for even a couple of minutes.  The battery recall program won't run, for some reason.  Perhaps you also know whether the battery is eligible for the recall?  I read there was a fire hazard for certain battery made by Sony.  This battery says Lenovo, not Sony, but says the cells were made in Japan and packaged in China.  Could be Sony cells?  The bar code is old and difficult to read, but seems to say 11S92P1142Z1ZGFN98B5SF.  If there is a fire hazard, seems like Lenovo would want to replace the battery even if I bought it used?

Options

4 Posts

07-11-2014

Seattle, Washington

5 Signins

92 Page Views

• Message 32 of 34

Re: Intel WIFI Link 5100 AGN Network Adapter does not recognize Linksys Wireless Router

2014-07-16, 20:54 PM

I forgot to answer your question about the wireless being on.  It is difficult on, because I can connect via Wi-Fi at the local community college.  I CANNOT connect at the downtown Seattle public library, nor the one branch library I tried.  The help desk at the downtown library said that maybe 5% of the users have the same problem.  Perhaps that is the market share of the 5100 AGN???

Options

278 Posts

12-15-2012

US

1091 Signins

62458 Page Views

• Views: 62458
  • Message 33 of 34

2014-07-17, 0:35 AM

wrote:

Thank you for getting back to me! 

My laptop’s serial number is Type 2242-55U, which is a T500.  Product id is 224255U.  The Intel WiFi Link 5100 AGN network adapter is using driver v.13.4.0.9 dated 10/17/2010.  

It is running Vista Business.  I bought it used about a week ago.  I also have a problem with the battery not holding enough charge to run the machine for even a couple of minutes.  The battery recall program won't run, for some reason.  Perhaps you also know whether the battery is eligible for the recall?  I read there was a fire hazard for certain battery made by Sony.  This battery says Lenovo, not Sony, but says the cells were made in Japan and packaged in China.  Could be Sony cells?  The bar code is old and difficult to read, but seems to say 11S92P1142Z1ZGFN98B5SF.  If there is a fire hazard, seems like Lenovo would want to replace the battery even if I bought it used?

I forgot to answer your question about the wireless being on.  It is difficult on, because I can connect via Wi-Fi at the local community college.  I CANNOT connect at the downtown Seattle public library, nor the one branch library I tried.  The help desk at the downtown library said that maybe 5% of the users have the same problem.  Perhaps that is the market share of the 5100 AGN???

Hi again Steve,

Let me answer your question about wifi link 5100 first. These are the original specs. your T500 left the factory with:

ThinkPad T500 (2242-55U) : T9400(2.53GHz), 2GB RAM, 160GB 7200rpm HD, 15.4in 1280x800 LCD, Intel X4500HD, CDRW/DVDRW, Intel 802.11agn wireless, Bluetooth, Modem, 1Gb Ethernet, UltraNav, Secure chip, Fingerprint reader, Camera, 6c Li-Ion, WinXP Pro.

So yes, you have Intel wifi, and Intel wifi link 5100 to be precise (assuming the previous owner did not switch wifi cards). This can be confirmed by T500 system service partshttp://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-71037#6. And, as you see there, T500 can also be upgraded to Intel wifi link 5300 which may offer some performance/ connectivity enhancements. But let me say that I have both wifi link 5100 in a T500 and wifi link 5300 in the W500 I am typing on right now and don't notice any real-world difference in the two. I think you will find many of the connectivity issues people have reported have probably been corrected by firmware updates to many major routers, updated Intel wifi drivers, or they may just have had a flaky/ faulty wifi card to begin with. I mean I have set up/ sold dozens and dozens of laptops recently which use Intel wifi link and wifi worked perfectly from the moment of driver installation (which is automatic- built-into Windows 7 without even installing a separate Intel driver from the Lenovo website). I downloaded over a hundred Windows 7 updates and tested the machines for days on end as I usually do, and they remained perfectly connected to wireless G and wireless N routers I use for testing. So I don't find any problem with Intel wifi link 5100 and think the "problem" has been blown out of proportion. Perhaps Vista or XP operating systems may be more problematic, but I have had zero issues in Windows 7.

In your case, your local community college may have a better router while the downtown Seattle public library or your local library may have older routers. But first make sure you have the latest Vista driver installed. Go to the T500 drivers and software download pagehttp://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=migr-70443

I think wifi driver currently #5 on the list (in "Networking: wireless LAN" section) is your best bet. Version

: 14.03.0000   Published 17 Jul 2012. File Name: 8aw217ww.exe  Size: 242.48 MB  Direct link: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS030245

This seems to be the latest Vista driver and may iron out some wrinkles / solve some issues. Otherwise, as I said, you can consider upgrading to wifi link 5300 which is available pretty inexpensively and may offer better connectivity.

Regarding  your (nearly) dead battery. Sony, Sanyo and Panasonic were commissioned to manufacture batteries for the group of Thinkpads which includes your T500. Read some more background/ good foundational info. on these issues in my posts here: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T61-and-prior-T-series-ThinkPad/Battery-Charging-vs-Overcharging/m-p/1076697#M67665

and here: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/R-and-L-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/R61-Battery-indicator-flashes-orange-won-t-charge-at-all/m-p/1048937#M21312

ASM P/N (Marketing part number) 92P1142 (from the bar code you gave us above) is a 6-cell battery, may be Sony, but may have been used with other manufacturers. But if it says FRU P/N 92P1141, 42T4623, or 42T4566 it's definitely a Sony. Sony also used a few other FRU #'s. A simple way to check is to go into Lenovo Power Manager software, switch to "Advanced" view, and click the "Battery" tab. It will tell you the name of the manufacturer...

(Assuming you have a Sony battery, let me criticize Sony for a moment! )...Ah yes, the "sudden-death Sony" or "sickly-Sony" batteries :smileysurprised: It's a shame that a company capable of producing such hi-end audio  equipment and other electronics would allow their name to be placed on such defective/ poor-quality battery cells :smileyembarrassed: I have a couple of these "sickly Sony" batteries in my hand right now. One shows 27wh (out of about 56 watt hours design capacity) and 149 cycles and may last 15 to 30 minutes before "sudden" cutoff. I haven't tested it yet. It came with a laptop I bought. The other is doing the notorious "Sony-silliness," showing Full charge of 56.16 wh  yet cutting off "suddenly" after 4 minutes. I tested it twice. And it only has 15 cycles of use! A good  number of the Sony batteries do that- show 56.16 full charge (supposedly 100% of original 56.16 design capacity for 6-cell battery) so the Sony battery firmware is obviously deceptive and has trouble communicating with Lenovo Power Manager. Sony, sonny boy- you have a lot to learn :smileywink: ... when will you learn to "communicate?" And when will you grow up? I mean, if your brothers Sanyo ("Sanny") and Panasonic ("Panny") can live for 400, 500, sometimes Panny even makes it to 1000 cycles!, then why can't you, sonny boy?...  So be careful buying Sony batteries on "evil-Bay" or elsewhere. Some unscrupulous sellers will say "it holds 100% of its original capacity" or post stats/ screen showing showing "56.16 wh full charge" and you'll go "WOW!" and they will take you for a ride.

I can speak with authority on this battery issue. I have spent hundreds of hours testing / studying/ researching these Lenovo lithium-ion batteries. One final word concerning battery recall, yes, ASM P/N 92P1142 was included in Lenovo battery recall, but not all batteries with that part number were affected. Furthermore, that battery replacement offer seems to have finished up/ expired sometime in 2010, so you're probably out of luck there. Reference: Battery Recall: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/diagnose-and-fix/detail.page?DocID=HT004883#automatically

and ThinkPad battery has low capacity or shows an "Irreparable damage" or "Battery cannot be charged" error message - ThinkPad R60, R60e, R60i, R61, R61e, R61i, T60, T60p, T61, T61p, X60, X60s, X61, X61s:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/diagnose-and-fix/detail.page?DocID=HT001086

Anyway, we can continue the battery discussion in another thread if you wish- perhaps one of the threads I have linked to above, (as this thread is focused on Intel 5100 wifi card).  

4 Posts

07-11-2014

Seattle, Washington

5 Signins

92 Page Views

• Message 34 of 34

2014-07-17, 1:10 AM

Thank you Anastasios for the great information!  I am impressed by your wide knowledge.  I should have mentioned that the FRU is 42T4777, so the good news is that my battery is not going to light me on fire.  I made one error in my 7/16/14 posting.  I said: "It is difficult on, because I can connect via Wi-Fi at the local community college."  I meant to say "It is definitely on, ..."

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete