Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

134 Posts

06-29-2008

Australia

365 Signins

1652 Page Views

• Views: 1652
  • Message 1 of 4

Is there a way to properly factory reset to a working state

2019-03-21, 14:32 PM

I've factory reset my P51 using the Windows 10 reset feature, opting to delete all files. As soon as I've got to the point where I have a desktop, I get an error about PWMTR64V.dll specified module not being found. As well as this when I right click on the desktop I get a spinning icon.

It's not a great experience for what I was hoping would be a factory reset. Clearly the usual hilarious lenovo software is here trying to ruin my life. From googling I can probably try to fix these but I honestly have better things to do than to fight with lenovo software.

Just wondering if there is a way to get a cleaner reset that doesn't involve lenovo ramming more value detracting software down my throat?

Obviously I can opt to install afresh but then there is the usual fight with trying to re-license windows etc.

Answer
Options

11825 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40121 Signins

422064 Page Views

• Views: 422064

Re: Is there a way to properly factory reset to a working state

2019-03-21, 16:21 PM

If I need to reset completely, going back to factory image is useless as there have probably been major Windows 10 releases.  The same applies to a reset within windows.  I download and create a USB thumb drive from the microsoft website:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

It activates automatically from the key in the BIOS.  I then run windows update until it finds no more updates.  The first time you look, it will say there are none, but force a search.  I then download Lenovo Vantage from the microsoft store.  It will put on the needed ThinkPad drivers and give me the option to install whatever utilities I want (if any).

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Replies(3)
Options

2104 Posts

07-22-2010

United States of America

10093 Signins

170352 Page Views

• Views: 170352
  • Message 2 of 4

2019-03-21, 15:18 PM

Hi,

In regards to the PWM error.  It happens when you reset Windows 10.  The below article will help you fix that error.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Vantage-Knowledge-Base/RunDLL-error-message-about-PWMTR64V-dll/ta-p/4306912

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
 If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
T14, T490, TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Answer
Options

11825 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40121 Signins

422064 Page Views

• Views: 422064
  • Message 3 of 4

2019-03-21, 16:21 PM

If I need to reset completely, going back to factory image is useless as there have probably been major Windows 10 releases.  The same applies to a reset within windows.  I download and create a USB thumb drive from the microsoft website:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

It activates automatically from the key in the BIOS.  I then run windows update until it finds no more updates.  The first time you look, it will say there are none, but force a search.  I then download Lenovo Vantage from the microsoft store.  It will put on the needed ThinkPad drivers and give me the option to install whatever utilities I want (if any).

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

134 Posts

06-29-2008

Australia

365 Signins

1652 Page Views

• Views: 1652
  • Message 4 of 4

2019-03-22, 1:14 AM

thanks. Yeah I guess I naively thought the windows 10 reset was a proper reset that was effectively a fresh install of windows, not whatever half-baked thing it appears to be. Appreciate the concerns about updates but my perception was that I could just perform an update over the web - in much the same way you suggested for USB thumb drive.

Anyway, bit the bullet and did the thumb drive, so hopefully am sorted now..

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms