05-11-2017

US

103 Signins

894 Page Views

• Views: 894
  • Message 1 of 2

Keyboard Malfunction.

2020-08-29, 15:08 PM

This morning I turned on my P50 and quickly discovered that all the sections of the keyboard except for alphabetic (i.e. function, top-row numeric and numpad) are spitting out wild, erratic scancode strings, making typing essentially impossible. It's quite maddening.

I suspect—although I have not confirmed beyond all doubt— that this is a hardware issue.

It's unexpected, especially knowing that the keyboard was changed under warranty not long ago (for a different issue). I will try to re-seat the keyboard ribbon connector and see if that makes any difference, but the machine lives a trauma-free life on my desktop so I'm not holding my breath.

I'm prepared to buy a replacement (warranty expired), but I don't know if the issue is with a controller on the keyboard, itself, or with a component on the motherboard. I don't want to purchase and install a new keyboard only to discover that the problem persists.  Is this a common failure mode for the P50 keyboard? Should I buy a replacement or am I relegated to USB keyboards from now on?

I'm typing this on a USB keyboard which is functioning properly.

Options

78 Posts

05-11-2017

US

103 Signins

894 Page Views

• Views: 894
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:Keyboard Malfunction.

2020-08-29, 16:00 PM

Okay, well, it seems that the problem is intermittent.

I reached over just now to test the misbehaving keys and they're functioning properly.

Of course, this development raises more questions than it answers.

Perhaps there's some corrosion on a connector pin which is interfering with signal transmission until the machine reaches a certain temperature.

Perhaps I have a driver issue or malware.

I suppose I'll have to wait and see.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete