Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

04-12-2021

United States Minor Outlying Islands

6 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 1 of 5

Lenovo P17 Gen1 10 Pro Wifi connectivity issues cannot connect to secured but can connect to unsec

2021-04-12, 16:05 PM

I am having trouble connecting to secured Wifi networks, but can connect to unsecured. 

When I first got the machine I was able to connect to secured networks that prompted me for a password, including a home network from AT&T. 

Now I can't connect to any password protected network, sometimes it prompts me for a password which doesn't work and most of the time it will not prompt for a password and quickly say cannot connect to network.  I also can't forget a network.

Tried,

-Network reset

-IP config Winsock

-Disable reenable

-Vantage updates

-Windows updates

-Network adaptor advanced setting is 6 dual band 802.11 a/b/g

-enabling Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplexor Protocol

-disabling avast and windows defender firewalls

Other things

-IPv4 Connectivity Internet

-IPv6 Connectivity No network access

Answer
Options

445 Posts

12-24-2011

United Arab Emirates

690 Signins

5064 Page Views

• Views: 5064

Re:Lenovo P17 Gen1 10 Pro Wifi connectivity issues cannot connect to secured but can connect to unsec

2021-04-12, 17:17 PM

The P17Gen1 has an AX201 adapter.

Try installing the latest wifi driver, to make sure there is nothing wrong with current installation.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30279/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters

If this does not work, can you boot from a live Linux or windows USB and connect to wifi?

Replies(4)
Answer
Options

445 Posts

12-24-2011

United Arab Emirates

690 Signins

5064 Page Views

• Message 2 of 5

Re:Lenovo P17 Gen1 10 Pro Wifi connectivity issues cannot connect to secured but can connect to unsec

2021-04-12, 17:17 PM

The P17Gen1 has an AX201 adapter.

Try installing the latest wifi driver, to make sure there is nothing wrong with current installation.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30279/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters

If this does not work, can you boot from a live Linux or windows USB and connect to wifi?

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

6 Posts

04-12-2021

6 Signins

30 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2021-04-16, 15:43 PM

At this point I would like to clarify that it doesn't see to be connecting to secured or unsecured, but only networks it remembers from back when I could enter passwords for new networks. 

Tried all of the following.

https://www.technipages.com/fix-intel-wi-fi-6-ax201-adapter-driver-or-hardware-issues#:~:text=Update%20Your%20Driver,to%20your%20Wi%2DFi%20network.&text=Then%20expand%20the%20list%20and,if%20the%20error%20is%20gone.

Thank you for the suggestions, I tried searching for the specific adaptor and the recommendations for troubleshooting but none have worked. I updated the driver to the most recent one and this did not fix the issue. I even purchased and installed a usb wireless adaptor and it doesn't work either. 

There definitely appears to be something wrong with the wireless adaptor and/or installation. Regardless of network resets, or reinstalls, you never get the option to enter a key for a network and there is no option to forget a network and I was able to do this when I first got the machine. Essentially it seems impossible to clear memory.  If I disable or uninstall the card, it will not actually stay disabled or clear any settings. Doing a network reset wont work either. 

I have never tried to boot from a windows live USB and I'm not familiar with this.

Is the purpose of this to figure out if there is something in broken in the windows install?

Why did it seem to work(i.e. can connect to new networks etc) initially then become dysfunctional later if this is the case?

I did try to get this problem addressed through premier support, but they seemed to think it was a software issue and that service is fairly expensive. Yet this issue really does seem to be with the wireless adaptor itself. 

Thanks again for the help offered.

Options

445 Posts

12-24-2011

United Arab Emirates

690 Signins

5064 Page Views

• Message 4 of 5

2021-04-16, 17:25 PM

If a USB adaptor is not working as well then it all points to a problem in the windows installation.

Depending on what you have installed perhaps a "Refresh Installation" is the next logical step.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/how-to-refresh-reset-or-restore-your-pc-51391d9a-eb0a-84a7-69e4-c2c1fbceb8dd

Options

6 Posts

04-12-2021

6 Signins

30 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2021-04-17, 4:12 AM

SOLVED:

Turns out this was a problem with having a VPN installed. Cisco AnyConnect.

I don't know which part of the installation, but I think the one that starts with windows. I think it was storing settings and overiding both the card and the USB device everytime they were reset to only connect to previous networks. Could be me fault because I didn't update Cisco. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms