Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

14 Posts

04-08-2016

United States of America

68 Signins

415 Page Views

• Views: 415
  • Message 161 of 299

Re: Lenovo P50 - HDMI not working

2016-05-17, 15:57 PM

I guess I needed to clarify....

In order to run the P50 Thunderbolt update, an external monitor should be plugged directly into the HDMI port on the P50 itself.

@yipcw --> You lost me at "I plugged in a Dell...."

I will not attempt to debug any device not supplied by Lenovo.

Any use of any device on a Lenovo system not supplied by Lenovo is a 'use at your own risk' proposition.

The question is....does external video work over the HDMI port?

Options

86 Posts

05-21-2011

United States of America

104 Signins

642 Page Views

• Views: 642
  • Message 162 of 299

2016-05-17, 16:18 PM

wrote:

I guess I needed to clarify....

In order to run the P50 Thunderbolt update, an external monitor should be plugged directly into the HDMI port on the P50 itself.

--> You lost me at "I plugged in a Dell...."

I will not attempt to debug any device not supplied by Lenovo.

Any use of any device on a Lenovo system not supplied by Lenovo is a 'use at your own risk' proposition.

The question is....does external video work over the HDMI port?

well ... the problem is the update tool's instruction, see the screenshot below. it said "... please connect at least one Thunderbot device to your PC ..."

you may want to have the developers update the text if they meant plug in HDMI device (that goes through Thunderbolt 3 chipset) instead.  users do follow instruction literally sometimes.

Options

86 Posts

05-21-2011

United States of America

104 Signins

642 Page Views

• Message 163 of 299

2016-05-17, 18:27 PM

not sure this is something new after firmware v16 upgrade, or happens before, just want to throw it out in case other experienced same issue.

for both HDMI direct connected,

or

via not-Lenovo brand A**** USB-C to HDMI adapter,

attached non-Lenovo, Seiki 4K,

(sent my regular monitor in for repair, i couldn't find a Lenovo 4K anywhere in my building to test using "approved" configuration, I tried.  I can try a not-Lenovo brand D*** 4K display if needed, all i can find at the moment/)

switching from extended layout to internal LCD only using Windows+P doesn't work, it blinks, and then reconnect immediately to previous setting.  it is kind of annoying.

P50, OEM Windows 7.  Lenovo System Update said everything update to date as of this morning.

Options

14 Posts

04-08-2016

United States of America

68 Signins

415 Page Views

• Views: 415
  • Message 164 of 299

2016-05-17, 19:06 PM

I agree the update instructions in the ReadMe file are not optimal.

Based on steps taken during prior testing of the beta FW, I am not a huge fan of the current instruction set or the extraction utility launching the update automatically (since it needs to be launched from a command prompt with admin rights).

Here are the instructions I am adding to a Public Tip: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/SF16-T0051

A firmware update for the Thunderbolt chipset is required to resolve this issue:

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/ThinkPad-P-Series-laptops/ThinkPad-P50/downloads/DS112986

Steps to update the Thunderbolt Firmware on ThinkPad P50:

(1) Download the firmware update 'n1etf06w.exe'

(2) Run 'n1etf06w.exe' to extract the necessary files (default location = C:\DRIVERS\WIN\Thunderbolt_FW)

(3) When finished extracting, uncheck the box stating "Install Intel(R) Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt Firmware now"

(4) Attach an HDMI external monitor

(5) Verify the Thunderbolt Software is running in the system tray

-If you cannot locate the Thunderbolt icon, start the application:

Win7  -- Start menu --> All Programs --> Thunderbolt(TM) Software

Win10 -- Windows key --> All apps --> Thunderbolt(TM) Software

(6) Open a Command Prompt and 'Run as administrator'

(7) Navigate to the extracted location of the Thunderbolt FW update software (cd C:\DRIVERS\WIN\Thunderbolt_FW)

(8) Type 'setup.bat' and hit the 'Enter' key.  This will launch the Thunderbolt FW Update Tool.

(9) This process can take several minutes to complete.  After completion, the system must be restarted.

How to verify the firmware version after update:

(1) Locate the Thunderbolt Software icon in the system tray.  If you do not see it, follow step (5) above.

(2) Right-click the Thunderbolt Software icon and select 'Settings'

(3) Click on the 'Details' button

(4) NVM version should now read '16'

Options

86 Posts

05-21-2011

United States of America

104 Signins

642 Page Views

• Message 165 of 299

2016-05-17, 20:19 PM

Hum, that may be a little bit too complicated if we try to tell our users to do it themselves, may actually have to get support folks to go out and touch each box.  oh well.

and, oh, now i get it, there are two parts of that firmware update.

NVM firmware went from 13 to 16 (you can get that using TB3 device), alone, that's insufficient

and

PD Firmware went from 1.07.04 (you only get that part if you plug in HDMI display? what the GPU sees changed)

the 2nd part fixed some things

... and broke a different tiny part of the other vendor device, which is not Lenovo's problem.

in the old firmwares, part of the dock is auto detected as USB 2.0.MTT Hub and USB 3.0 Hub devices, and install drivers on the fly.  

now with new firmwares, it got re-detect as six PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge devices that auto update ok, 7th device - USB controller failed windows driver update - no driver found.  i guess time to to talk d*** support for that.

Options

28 Posts

04-12-2011

California, USA

83 Signins

375 Page Views

• Views: 375
  • Message 166 of 299

2016-05-17, 22:37 PM

This update seems to have fixed my HDMI audio issues (I didn't think so at first, but the audio driver was there, in device manager, just disabled for some reason, so I enabled it and everything worked)

I still have the black-screen-on-wakeup-from-sleep issue, I hope that can get fixed, soon.

-- pryankster

Options

17 Posts

02-27-2016

Germany

31 Signins

210 Page Views

• Views: 210
  • Message 167 of 299

2016-05-18, 14:02 PM

@pryankster:

I still have the black-screen-on-wakeup isse after the firmware-update, too.

I have the impression that the graphics driver is horribly unstable. I've had a few bluescreens triggered by it, a few times the screen attached via HDMI turned just entirely green. And I have your issue that sometimes after wake from sleep all sreens  stay black and I have to hard-reset the device to get them working again. 

Options

4 Posts

02-24-2016

USA

11 Signins

111 Page Views

• Views: 111
  • Message 168 of 299

2016-05-18, 18:59 PM

I would like to report that the firmware update  completely solved my hdmi problem at this point for both Win10 and Ubuntu 16.04 on my tri-screen setup (laptop screen, a 1080p monitor on DP and a 2560x1400 monitor on hdmi). All 3 screens wake up  as expected after reboot, standby, suspension, screensaver, logout, etc. The hdmi audio works well too.

Hope it will last.

Options

105 Posts

07-24-2008

United States of America

138 Signins

847 Page Views

• Views: 847
  • Message 169 of 299

2016-05-20, 23:40 PM
wrote:

I agree the update instructions in the ReadMe file are not optimal.

Based on steps taken during prior testing of the beta FW, I am not a huge fan of the current instruction set or the extraction utility launching the update automatically (since it needs to be launched from a command prompt with admin rights).

Here are the instructions I am adding to a Public Tip:

A firmware update for the Thunderbolt chipset is required to resolve this issue:

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/ThinkPad-P-Series-laptops/ThinkPad-P50/downloads/DS112986

Steps to update the Thunderbolt Firmware on ThinkPad P50:

(1) Download the firmware update 'n1etf06w.exe'

(2) Run 'n1etf06w.exe' to extract the necessary files (default location = C:\DRIVERS\WIN\Thunderbolt_FW)

(3) When finished extracting, uncheck the box stating "Install Intel(R) Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt Firmware now"

(4) Attach an HDMI external monitor

(5) Verify the Thunderbolt Software is running in the system tray

-If you cannot locate the Thunderbolt icon, start the application:

Win7  -- Start menu --> All Programs --> Thunderbolt(TM) Software

Win10 -- Windows key --> All apps --> Thunderbolt(TM) Software

(6) Open a Command Prompt and 'Run as administrator'

(7) Navigate to the extracted location of the Thunderbolt FW update software (cd C:\DRIVERS\WIN\Thunderbolt_FW)

(8) Type 'setup.bat' and hit the 'Enter' key.  This will launch the Thunderbolt FW Update Tool.

(9) This process can take several minutes to complete.  After completion, the system must be restarted.

How to verify the firmware version after update:

(1) Locate the Thunderbolt Software icon in the system tray.  If you do not see it, follow step (5) above.

(2) Right-click the Thunderbolt Software icon and select 'Settings'

(3) Click on the 'Details' button

(4) NVM version should now read '16'

I tried the above steps.  But it says "no active thunderbolt(tm) controller found in the system or thurderbolt(tm) software is not present in the system.  Make sure you have thunderbolt(tm) software installed.  Then connect thunderbolt(tm) device and press OK to retry or press Cancel to abort firmware upgrade process"

This makes no sense.  I did install the thunderbolt software and then I manually launched it.  I connected my external monitor through hdmi and tried running but it keeps coming up with the above error message whenever i try to run this firm ware upgrade.  Can someone please tell me what am I doing wrong?

Options

2373 Posts

04-20-2008

United States of America

19479 Signins

110751 Page Views

• Views: 110751
  • Message 170 of 299

2016-05-21, 0:07 AM

Set the GPU setting in the BIOS configuration screen to "Discrete". You then should be able to update the firmware. I didn't have to engage an HDMI monitor when applying the update. It found the controller on my P70 and updated everything correctly.

P53 XEON 2276 BIOS 1.28 OLED UHD 4K Multi-touch display, 96GB RAM, RTX5000, RAID 1, 1TB x 2 Samsung PM981, 1TB PM981, WWAN
P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.35, 4k Display, 64GB, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID1 1TB Samsung PM981 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.25,Xeon Processor, 4k UHD IPS multi-touch display, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID1

I am not an employee nor an agent of Lenovo.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms