Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

105 Posts

07-24-2008

United States of America

138 Signins

847 Page Views

• Views: 847
  • Message 171 of 299

Re: Lenovo P50 - HDMI not working

2016-05-21, 0:23 AM

Thank you.

wrote:

Set the GPU setting in the BIOS configuration screen to "Discrete". You then should be able to update the firmware. I didn't have to engage an HDMI monitor when applying the update. It found the controller on my P70 and updated everything correctly.

Thank you.  I heard that setting to "discrete" causes lot of power to be used.  Can I reset it back to hybrid after doing the change?  Or will it always have to remain at "discrete"

Options

2371 Posts

04-20-2008

United States of America

19475 Signins

110726 Page Views

• Views: 110726
  • Message 172 of 299

2016-05-21, 0:37 AM

Yes, you can change it back to Hybrid after you reboot and shutdown the system after the upgrade. If you are mostly using A/C power, you might as well stay on the discrete mode as most of the time it does not use much more than the Intel 530 chipset and you will find the graphics speed and clarity much better.

P53 XEON 2276 BIOS 1.28 OLED UHD 4K Multi-touch display, 96GB RAM, RTX5000, RAID 1, 1TB x 2 Samsung PM981, 1TB PM981, WWAN
P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.35, 4k Display, 64GB, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID1 1TB Samsung PM981 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.25,Xeon Processor, 4k UHD IPS multi-touch display, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID1

I am not an employee nor an agent of Lenovo.
Options

105 Posts

07-24-2008

United States of America

138 Signins

847 Page Views

• Message 173 of 299

2016-05-21, 2:44 AM

Hallelujah it finally worked!  I can connect to hdmi external monitor, and no it wasn't the thunderbolt firmware upgrade for me.

Thank you to you all for the various suggestions that made it work.  I don't konw which step worked but I did a combination of couple of things advised by you guys in the last two pages of this thread.  Here are the steps, some of which were already explained by @tsynth (thank you!).  But I am gonna reproduce it here with my updates.

1.  I first uploaded the nvidia drivers for P50 from the nvidia site.  You can have nvidia automatically scan your system and suggest the drivers and then just click on their link.  To do this, use internet explorer (not chrome, because the nvidia site needs java) and go to this link: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Scan.aspx?lang=en-us

2.  Then next step was to go to bios (enter as soon as you start computer and then press F1.)  Then go to display and select "discrete" instead of hybrid for graphics.  Save it.  Connect the monitor with HDMI and turn it on.  Exit out of your bios.  The computer will restart and it should detect the monitor.

The thunderbolt did not work for me.  I am still on the older version as my computer simply cannot upgrade it.  But I suppose that's okay since I can now use my beautiful external monitor :-)

thank you all again!

Options

105 Posts

07-24-2008

United States of America

138 Signins

847 Page Views

• Message 174 of 299

2016-05-21, 3:30 AM

Darn!  I spoke too soon.  After I restarted the PC, the display is not working anymore, again :-(  I still have the discrete graphics set in bios.  But now when I go to device manager, the only display adapter it shows is Nvidia one (the one I updated to).  No intel hd graphics adapter showing anymore.  Is that why I am having this issue?  Not sure.  I even tried to apply the firmware update for thunderbolt that I so smirkily dismissed earlier.  But still cannot update that either.  What did I do wrong?

Options

4 Posts

05-25-2016

United States of America

8 Signins

58 Page Views

• Views: 58
  • Message 175 of 299

2016-05-25, 2:56 AM

I have never delt with bios settings before, so I'm not interested in going there at this time.

HDMI worked a few hours ago. Now it doesn't.

Why doesn't my external monitor work when it is connected to the HDMI port?

Can this computer auto-detect driver settings?

I spent a large amount of my hard-earned money on this computer and it has been nothing but problems.

My previous computer was an Asus laptop and I NEVER had display issues in the 6 years that I had it.

All of this down-time is costing me money.  I'm past the point where the purchase of this Lenovo P50 was justified.

The boss just went and purchased 80 Boxx machines because I told him about my Lenovo issues.

This is not the first time I've had issues with monitors not being detected on this computer.  When this happened in the past, I was able to unplug the HDMI and then plug it back in and the monitor was detected.  This time, it didn't work.

Options

2371 Posts

04-20-2008

United States of America

19475 Signins

110726 Page Views

• Views: 110726
  • Message 176 of 299

2016-05-25, 3:35 AM

Have you applied the Thunderbolt firmware update for the P50? This was released to address the numerous HDMI issues.

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/ThinkPad-P-Series-laptops/ThinkPad-P50/downloads/DS112986

P53 XEON 2276 BIOS 1.28 OLED UHD 4K Multi-touch display, 96GB RAM, RTX5000, RAID 1, 1TB x 2 Samsung PM981, 1TB PM981, WWAN
P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.35, 4k Display, 64GB, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID1 1TB Samsung PM981 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.25,Xeon Processor, 4k UHD IPS multi-touch display, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID1

I am not an employee nor an agent of Lenovo.
Options

2625 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11220 Signins

60651 Page Views

• Views: 60651
  • Message 177 of 299

2016-05-25, 6:10 AM

wrote:

I have never delt with bios settings before, so I'm not interested in going there at this time.

HDMI worked a few hours ago. Now it doesn't.

Why doesn't my external monitor work when it is connected to the HDMI port?

There are various approaches to address this issue, both for P50 and P70. But they do require that you take some action in order to implement.

And are you running Win7 or Win10?

Does your external monitor only have HDMI as its one digital connector?  Or does it also have DVI or DisplayPort connectors that you could also be using instead?

(1) update to latest BIOS v1.26.

(2) apply the Thunderbolt firmware update to version 16.

(3) if your monitor only has HDMI, then don't use the HDMI connector on the P50.  Instead use the miniDP connector.  All you need to do is buy an inexpensive miniDP->HDMI cable and use it instead of the HDMI->HDMI cable you're attempting to use now.  MiniDP connector on the laptop, HDMI on the monitor, through this inexpensive 2-ended cable.

If there are other digital connectors on your monitor, you can use the miniDP port on the P50 to connect to any of them, simply by using the proper inexpensive 2-ended cable:  (a) miniDP->DVI cable, or (b) miniDP->DP cable, in addition to the (c) miniDP->HDMI cable I linked to above.  MiniDP is a "magic" digital connector on the laptop graphics card that can speak audio+video to DP or HDMI connector on the monitor (if you want to use the monitor's speakers), and it can speak video-only to a DVI connector on the monitor (if you have regular external speakers for audio).  You just need the proper 2-ended cable.

I believe you will find no problem at all if you avoid using the HDMI connector on the laptop, but instead using the miniDP port on the laptop.  This will get you 100% productive again and working in a stable environment.

Yes, there have been issues using the HDMI port on P50/P70.  Lenovo has worked hard to solve these issues, and the Thunderbolt firmware v16 update I linked to above is purportedly the solution per many users.  But do yourself a favor, and if you want 100% stability right now and your monitor only accepts HDMI connection, just use a miniDP->HDMI cable and put your problem behind you.

NOTE: if you stop using the HDMI port on the P50 but instead start using the miniDP port, then you will not have to update the BIOS nor update the Thunderbolt firmware (although both of those updates are strongly recommended).  The miniDP port bypasses the HDMI issue completely, thus making the BIOS and Thunderbolt updates irrelevant to using your monitor via miniDP->HDMI cable.

Options

23 Posts

04-30-2016

Malaysia

79 Signins

427 Page Views

• Views: 427
  • Message 178 of 299

2016-05-25, 15:46 PM

A good forest-for-the-tree's idea ...

My workaround was a Widi wireless connection, mostly to connect to lo-res hotel TV screens old & new. This almost always resulted in screen cut-off where the edges of the screen were cut out on the TV screen.

Got a miniDP-to-HDMI cable and it works better; with no cut-off and no Widi connection steps.

Options

31 Posts

03-18-2016

United States of America

74 Signins

455 Page Views

• Views: 455
  • Message 179 of 299

2016-05-26, 20:40 PM

I was able to get some time in with my client to install the 5/19/16 P70 Thunderbolt firmware update today.

Unfortunately it did not resolve the issue with the audio endpoints being AWOL, unlike pryankster's experience. Following the firmware update, the NVidia audio device remains absent from Device Manager and the audio devices are not seen in the playback devices window, even with "disabled devices" checked.

To install the update, we connected it to an HDMI monitor as indicated and I ran the firmware utility.

At first it reported that no Thunderbolt device was installed, then, after a few seconds, it let me proceed with the firmware update.

I rebooted following the update, and had no luck when the machine came back up, so I ran Lenovo System Update and installed updates to the BIOS, chipset, wifi/ethernet, and a couple other unrelated drivers (no graphics or audio updates) in the hopes it was some sort of dependency on the newer software.

After a second reboot, the problem persists and I am unable to locate any HDMI outputs for sound.

At this point I am going to involve Lenovo support to perform physical replacement of parts on the laptop. I'm at the end of my rope and have no other ideas to try with this lemon of a model. 

Options

11 Posts

04-19-2016

United States of America

16 Signins

78 Page Views

• Views: 78
  • Message 180 of 299

2016-05-26, 21:33 PM

For me, at least, it seemed the trick was updating the bios AND the firmware (in that order) as DSperber noted:

(1) update to latest BIOS v1.26.

(2) apply the Thunderbolt firmware update to version 16

I had all of the issues that everyone has mentioned in this thread. After struggling through sending one in for repair, then returning it for a new one, and the new one still not working  - those are the two things that did it for me. Just updating the firmware alone did NOT work. Just updating the BIOS did NOT work.

Good luck!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms