Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

05-16-2017

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

10 Signins

56 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 56
  • Message 271 of 299

Re: Lenovo P50 - HDMI not working

2017-05-16, 8:19 AM

Hi all I really need some help please. Note, my HDMI works intermittently at random times between sleeps / shutdowns. I have the latest BIOS update.

I've tried to install the driver mentioned but my laptop doesn't even have the Thunderbolt software installed. Shouldn't this be included as a prerequisite for the "fix" linked here https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/sf16-t0051 ?

Anyway, I tried to install the Thunderbolt software from here http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/DS105411 which seems to successfuly install, but I cannot seem to start the program, I never get an icon in my taskbar.

Without Thunderbolt software working I can't install the driver "fix". Please please help!

Thanks

Options

1 Posts

05-17-2017

South Africa

2 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 272 of 299

2017-05-17, 12:36 PM

I 'm having trouble trying to connect my VGA monitor from the HDMI port using a converter. The machine recognises the monitor but the monitor shows 'no signal'. I'm running a P50 with Win 7 64 bit. I've updated the BIOS to 1.39 using N1EET66W, but when I try to install the Thunderbolt firmware upgrade using n1etf08W, I get an error message "BIOS not Ready . Please update BIOS to latest one". Any suggestions?

Options

135 Posts

02-06-2016

Canada

207 Signins

1371 Page Views

• Views: 1371
  • Message 273 of 299

2017-05-18, 1:08 AM

@Jonathan932

I also have BIOS 1.39 and I did not experience a problem executing the Thunderbolt FW Update rev25 (n1etf08w) on Windows 10.

Please note, the Thunderbolt FW update is very poorly documented. It only installs when you already have an external HDMI monitor connected. 

Please see the following for more info on ThunderBolt FW installation:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ca/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-p-series-laptops/thinkpad-p50/solutions/HT500321

Options

4 Posts

05-16-2017

10 Signins

56 Page Views

• Message 274 of 299

2017-05-18, 8:08 AM

The firmware update instructions assume that Thunderbolt software is already installed (which it isn't in my case). I have tried to install the Thunderbolt software (Win 10) but I can not get it to appear in my taskbar like the firmware update instructions says it should be. Please assist - my HDMI port works only 1 in 10 times

Thanks

Options

17 Posts

02-09-2017

United States of America

129 Signins

510 Page Views

• Views: 510
  • Message 275 of 299

2017-05-19, 15:21 PM

@Jonathan932 I initially encountered that same warning with regard to the BIOS being out of date, even though the BIOS was updated to the latest 1.39. I did not have time to troublesoot at the time. 

Other non-related events prompted a complete re-install of Windows 10, and when I attempted to install the NVM update again a warning briefly appeared within a command prompt window (and promptly disappered, I had to capture a quick screenshot to read what it actually said) that indicated the necessary Lenovo PM Driver was not installed. Once installed, the update proceeded without incident.

While I can't be sure, I am guessing some logic in the installer 'wrapper' around the update has some logic that checks for the necessary components, but may in fact have a bug preventing it from working in all instances. Unfortunately I am unable to delve further into the issue as the update has now applied, sorry I can't be of more help other to confirm the same initial behavior.

A quick note, the updated Lenovo instructions that speak to applying the NVM update to address the HDMI output issues indicate that a HDMI monitor must be connected for the update to work (https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-p-series-laptops/thinkpad-p50/solutions/ht500321    This was not the case in my instance, and the update did in fact apply with no external device connected to the system. 

Options

17 Posts

02-09-2017

United States of America

129 Signins

510 Page Views

• Views: 510
  • Message 276 of 299

2017-05-19, 15:32 PM

@jamiewand  I helped another person with a P50 that encountered a similar issue. With the caveat that I can't guarantee results and will not be able to help if things do not go as expected, these are the steps I used to get the software installed:

** Create a fresh System Restore Point before proceeding as a precaution -> https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4571-create-system-restore-point-windows-10-a.html **

1. Check to see if there is any Intel Thunderbolt software showing up in Programs and Features. If there is, uninstall it and reboot the system, even if not promtped. If not, just move on to the next step.

2. Download and install the Intel Thunderbolt software from Intel directly from this link -> https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26052/NUCs-Thunderbolt-Bus-Driver-for-Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC6i7KYK

3. Once complete, reboot the system even if not promtped

4. Check (or search) the Start menu for the Intel Thunderbolt software, and click to launch it. The Thunderbolt icon should now be present in the task tray (it tends not to be present unless you have first launched the software manually)

5. Then attempt the NVM firmware update

Options

3 Posts

10-07-2016

Canada

4 Signins

36 Page Views

• Views: 36
  • Message 277 of 299

2017-05-27, 8:14 AM

I think this is the exact link here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26052/Thunderbolt-Driver-for-Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC6i7KYK

It keeps telling me:

No active Thunderbolt controller found in the system or Thunderbolt software is not present in the system. Make sure you have Thunderbolt software installed. Then connect Thunderbolt device and press OK to rety or press Cancel to abort firmware update process.

My HDMI monitor is attached.  I'm dead in the water right now.

Options

4 Posts

05-16-2017

10 Signins

56 Page Views

• Message 278 of 299

2017-05-31, 15:39 PM

Thanks for the assistance, I have now got the Thunderbolt software installed.

However, upon installing the firmware update - there is no file called 'flash.bat' in the resulting directory (in my case C:\drivers\win\thunderbolt_fw. Are the readme instructions wrong? Also, when I clicked Finish on the setup, a command prompt opened and closed extremley quickly and I just about made out that it said BIOS is not ready, please update. I find it strange that a) the message disspears so quickly and b) why the BIOS update is not listed as a pre-requisite. My BIOS was only updated by my IT team around 6 weeks ago. Do you know what BIOS version I need to be on for this update? I'm presuming I can just go ahead and install this http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-p-series-laptops/thinkpad-p50/downloads/DS106108

Thanks

Options

4 Posts

03-23-2017

Canada

12 Signins

111 Page Views

• Views: 111
  • Message 279 of 299

2017-06-01, 15:51 PM

Hello,

When I run FwUpdateTool.exe I get the error that the BIOS ius not ready and I need to update it to the latest one.

I have BIOS 1.38 (2017-02-09). Is it not the latest?

Thanks

Options

3 Posts

10-07-2016

Canada

4 Signins

36 Page Views

• Views: 36
  • Message 280 of 299

2017-06-01, 16:08 PM
My solution was to simply install a version of the Thunderbolt software until it didn't crash immediately when running. Then I turned off the machine and magically in the morning it worked. The Thunderbolt software runs still but shows no active devices but the monitor seems to work. I don't know the exact steps but I just kept trying various things until it worked again... Try n1ete06w.exe / n1etf06w.exe (software and device firmware) and then also try the 07 and 08 versions. I don't remember which combination worked best for me but you can just install them until the program runs without crashing.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)