Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

05-16-2017

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

10 Signins

56 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 56
  • Message 281 of 299

Re: Lenovo P50 - HDMI not working

2017-06-12, 7:57 AM

I STILL cannot get the firmware update to work. This is the firmware update I am trying to install:

http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-P-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-P50/downloads/DS112986

Firstly when I follow the instructions, there is no 'flash.bat' file in the install directory. Secondly, if I try ticking "Install now" during the unpacking, the cmd prompt opens and says BIOS is out of date, even though I installed to the LATEST BIOS update on Friday.

Please help!

Thanks

Options

6 Posts

06-14-2017

United States of America

11 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 282 of 299

2017-06-14, 19:27 PM

It didn't work for me as well. When I was running the step 8 (setup.bat in command prompt), it didn't recognize the command. 

I went in BIOS and switched Graphic devices from Hybrid to Discrete. After restart, it worked. I got a notification that I have to reboot to apply graphic card update. After reboot it didn't work again, untill I have changed again from Discrete to Hybrid.

Now it's working on HDMI, but not working on mDP 

Options

29 Posts

12-30-2016

Australia

48 Signins

491 Page Views

• Views: 491
  • Message 283 of 299

2017-06-15, 8:03 AM

I use xubuntu 16.04 on my P50 with an external monitor on mini display port and one on HDMI. The May Thunderbolt firmware fix has resolved the problems I was having. Fairly often, the HDMI attached monitor would just not appear to exist, and I'd have to reboot (also in Windows although I hardly use it). Installing the Thunderbolt drivers was a bit tricky... they are not detected by the system update utility, I didn't know this update existed (so this was the first Thunderbolt update I have applied). Then the installation threatens not to proceed without a device attached.... but it works and not once since then have I had problems with the HDMI monitor. 

Options

1 Posts

06-25-2017

Sweden

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 284 of 299

2017-06-25, 15:57 PM

I have a similar problem. Lenovo desktop 90BF, Win 10, updated recently.

Works ok with a VGA-connection, but with a HDMI cable (attached to lower PC output, i e graphic card) I have a screen with Win10 and lower task/quick start icons. 

But no icons on desktop! I can start a program (Word), but it does'nt show up on screen.
When I change to VGA (on the screen harware by shifting PC/HDMI) I can see the objects as usual.

Solution?? 

HDMI seems to give better sharpness on screen, VGA is not my vavorite.

Valter

Stockholm

Options

3 Posts

07-20-2017

United States of America

4 Signins

28 Page Views

• Views: 28
  • Message 285 of 299

2017-07-20, 21:08 PM

I updated the Thunderbolt firmware as described in the following post from Lenovo, but still do not get the monitor to display using HDMI:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/SF16-T0051

I've also tried resetting BIOS defaults, installing all available software updates, etc.  Nothing works.

So, I've decided to get a mini-display port to HDMI adapter.   Once I get a docking station, I'll use the normal display port.

It's really sad that they cannot get something as simple as an HDMI port to work.

Options

3 Posts

07-20-2017

United States of America

4 Signins

28 Page Views

• Message 286 of 299

2017-07-24, 16:56 PM

Well, I got the mini displayport -> HDMI adapter.  And still cannot get my external monitor to work.

I guess the next thing to try is to get the motherboard replaced.

Options

3 Posts

07-20-2017

United States of America

4 Signins

28 Page Views

• Message 287 of 299

2017-07-24, 21:05 PM

Well,

It looks like the problem was the Display Port -> HDMI cable I was using (external monitor didn't have HDMI input).  Perhaps these cables are unidirectional, and what I needed was an HDMI -> Display Port cable  ??

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-DisplayPort-HDMI-Cable-Feet/dp/B015OW3M1W/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1500930269&sr=1-1&keywords=hdmi+to+displayport+cable

Either way, once I plugged a regular HDMI->HDMI cable into a different monitor that had an HDMI input, voila, it worked.  So, the issue is not the HDMI port on the Thinkpad P50.

Options

1 Posts

07-27-2017

United States of America

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 288 of 299

2017-07-27, 19:08 PM

So I gotta admit, I'm pretty frustrated with Lenovo right now.  I've standardized my team on ThinkPad for 5 years but after this debacle I may re-think my ThinkPad standard.

I Went through all 28 pages of options to no avail.  My HDMI "worked", but whenever I tried to Duplicate display it dropped the resolution of my laptop down to 1280x760 and stopped pushing out the HDMI or Thunderbolt ports.  Multiple attempts with the Thunderbolt software install/re-install/firmware update to no avail.  I could "Extend" displays and resolution was fine.

Running Lenovo system update "claimed" I had everything updated.  However that wasn't quite true.  My NVidia drivers were not the latest and greatest.  So I updated them as well - still having the same issue.

However, All of that was using the standard Windows command options "Start Key - P" or going into "Screen Resolution" and trying to do it there.  Nothing worked.  I Called Lenovo ( I have NBD On-site warranty support), they quickly determined it must be a "configuration issue", hand me off to "Premium Support", guess what, they wanted to CHARGE me to work this issue with me!  I told them there was 28 pages of people having this issue and I wasn't paying a dime for it.  Up two levels of supervisors - no dice.  They really are clueless to handling pervasive customer support issues.

MY SOLUTION:  Anyway, after playing with the Windows OS options, The Intel HD Graphics options (since it kept appearing that "Virtual Adapter" was associated with it"; I tried the NVidia Display Manager, selected my Samsung TV connected to the HDMI, then right-clicked on video "1" (my laptop) and said "Clone it to 2", and viola!!  It worked - I have duplicated screens at high-resolution.  I rebooted several times to ensure it persisted.  

Fingers crossed.   And Shame on you, Lenovo, for not handling this better.

Options

8 Posts

12-13-2016

United States of America

12 Signins

62 Page Views

• Views: 62
  • Message 289 of 299

2017-07-27, 20:41 PM

I've got to tell you, after having the same problems as everyone else and not having any success fixing the problem, I sent my P50 to Lenovo to make the repair (maybe 8-10 months ago, drivers, not hardware).  Since then, I have had all kinds of Lenovo and MS updates to my system and the HDMI port continues to work flawlessly.  You might want to consider this option.

Options

1 Posts

08-14-2017

United States of America

1 Signins

9 Page Views

• Views: 9
  • Message 290 of 299

2017-08-14, 13:07 PM

I've got to say, I've ready pretty much everything in this 29 page (!!! red flag there anyone?) post, and attempted the "solutions" and "tips" and "fixes" at LEAST a dozen times.

Still have, at "best", intermittent use from the HDMI port.  Thunderbolt software is installed, but I've yet to be able to get it to actually see a controller in the system... ever.  Won't apply the FW update (ever), continues to say "there is no Thunderbolt connected to your system" error that's posted and referenced numerous times in this thread.

I love Lenovo machines, generally.  Had a W510 that I basically ran into the ground over about 5 years, and it was still ticking away as a beast (and still works, tho it's older and slow at this point).  This P50 is great, except for the fact that it just seems to want to completely randomly work then not work for HDMI video display.  The miniDP I can use with a converter to HDMI for my monitors, but the point it - a brand new (well, about 1 yr old) machine like this should NOT have these kinds of issues out of the gate.  I can almost guarantee that every update to Win10 that hits, I lose HDMI functionality for "some amount of time" until it will mysteriously decide to start working again sometime in the future.  I've yet to be able to (even working with IT) pin down WHAT causes it to stop working, and what causes it to start working again "later".  And "later" may be 1-3 days, or 4+ weeks.  On many levels, that's completely ridiculous and unacceptable.  Lenovo needs to pull thier collective heads out on this one, and figure out what's going on and why it's STILL an issue for so many people so many months later.  The "TIP" is useless, it's impossible for me to complete since my system refuses to even "see" a connected Thunderbolt controller to begin with, so it won't complete the FW update (assuming that MAY fix things... no guarantee it will there either).

Need suggesstions or tips from anyone who actually solved this (other than "ship the laptop back to Lenovo for weeks to let them fiddle with it" since that's not an option to have no work machine for weeks.  Ideally would love to see Lenovo a bit more engaged on this issue with one of thier "high end business machines".

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms