Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

18 Posts

11-15-2017

United States of America

31 Signins

391 Page Views

• Views: 391
  • Message 1 of 4

Lenovo P50 printing black & white to Xerox color printer

2021-07-05, 18:09 PM

tl, dr:  If your Lenovo P50 only prints black and white to your old Xerox color printer, try the Xerox Postscript driver for the P510 Thinkstation instead of the Xerox PCL driver for the P50.

Situation:   Lenovo P50 running Win 10x64 version 20H2.  Attempting to print in color to my old Xerox Phaser 6180 color printer (a Xerox color printer introduced in 2007, but still alive and well in 2021).  Problem:  no color on any printed output, only grayscale.  

Troubleshooting Steps:

1. Verify that I asked for a color print.  There is a 'print-in-color' setting in the print dialogue, and that option was set on all my sample jobs.  No user error there; nothing but grayscale out of the printer regardless of the 'color' setting.  
  2. Verify that the Xerox color printer does, in fact, print color natively.  This particular printer comes with a beautiful, native "demo page" that shows off the color capabilities of the printer.  The demo page prints just fine when called forth from the menu commands on the printer.  So, it's not a printer hardware issue or a toner issue local to the printer.
  3. Verify that the issue is localized to the P50.  My T460 ThinkPad, wifey’s Apple MacBook Pro, and one old Dell all have no issues getting color output out of the Xerox 6180.  Only the P50 produces grayscale when color was called for.  Hmmm.  I suspect the driver.
  4. Reinstall the Xerox print driver. Go into Win10 Settings and delete the Xerox 6180 printer profile.  Go out to Xerox, download what they allege is the appropriate driver for the printer, and reinstall it following the Xerox instructions using the ‘add-a-printer’ dialogue and supplying the tcp-ip port address for the printer.  Important side note: while on the Xerox driver site for the P50, I observe that they only have a PCL driver for the 6180 printer, not a postscript driver.  I go back, run my test with the PCL driver.  No dice; still greyscale on color prints.
  5. Then I happen to recall a similar issue that happened a few months back on an older Thinkstation P510 that I happen to own. There, the solution was to download the postscript driver for the P510 from the Xerox site, and create a printer profile using that Postscript driver. Unlike the situation for the P50, the Xerox site for the P510 listed both a PCL driver and a Postscript driver.  Note, however, that there is no postscript driver to download from the Xerox support page for the P50.  So, nothing to lose, let’s ski off-piste and see what happens.  I drop the Xerox 6180 printer profile again from within Settings and go back through the ‘add-a-printer’ dialogue specifying the printer tcp-ip address with the ‘have disk’ option that points to the P510 postscript driver.  To test, I print something in color to the Xerox 6180 from MS Word on the P50.  Bingo. 

So, to summarize my solution:  you have to pretend you have a Lenovo P510 Thinkstation and then download the Postscript driver for the P510 from the Xerox site, do the usual add-a-printer dialogue from within Settings to create a printer profile on your P50 using the postscript driver for the P510.  Then you can print color on your old Xerox color printer normally from the P50.

1. So, what is going on here? Imho, this is proof that Xerox test engineering staff are both lazy (for neglecting to equip their test lab with an appropriate array of hardware) and incompetent (for publishing a PCL driver for the P50 that doesn’t work with Xerox hardware).  Xerox driver test engineering staff clearly didn’t bother testing whether the newest drivers work with older Xerox hardware and older Lenovo hardware. 

The Xerox zip file of the working PS driver is UNIV_5.759.5.0_PS_x64.zip  with file date of 3-9-2021 and size of 37,180 KB.

Options

22 Posts

06-09-2021

United States of America

22 Signins

250 Page Views

• Views: 250
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:Lenovo P50 printing black & white to Xerox color printer

2021-07-05, 18:56 PM

Nice workaround.  Did you also try installing the latest Windows 10 printer drivers for your Phaser 6180 printer?  They're at https://www.support.xerox.com/en-us/product/phaser-6180/downloads?language=en&platform=win10x64.

Options

3647 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

285 Signins

18340 Page Views

• Views: 18340
  • Message 3 of 4

2021-07-05, 21:47 PM

Hello JibHalyard,

We appreciate for sharing this to the forum.
Fellow users would definitely find this helpful.
Take care.

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

18 Posts

11-15-2017

United States of America

31 Signins

391 Page Views

• Views: 391
  • Message 4 of 4

2021-07-06, 13:36 PM

The page that Mikey94131 references on the Xerox support site takes one to a page where both of the following drivers can be downloaded:

V3 Xerox Global Print Driver PCL6

• Released: 12/16/2020
  • Version: 5.759.5.0
  • Size: 38.09 MB
  • Filename:  UNIV_5.759.5.0_PCL6_x64.zip

V3 Xerox Global Print Driver PostScript

• Released: 12/16/2020
  • Version: 5.759.5.0
  • Size: 38.07 MB
  • Filename:  UNIV_5.759.5.0_PS_x64.zip

The PCL6 driver is the driver that appears on the Xerox support page for the Xerox 6180.  This is the driver that does not print color to the Xerox 6180 from my Lenovo P50.  That same driver also does not print color to the Xerox 6180 from my P510.  The file dates vary because the file dates on my system reflect the date the file was created on my system, not the release date from Xerox.  The Postscript driver above is the same Postscript driver found on the support page for the P510.  So, Xerox is simply referring to its latest Global Print Drivers on the respective support pages for individual Xerox products.  Except sometimes they leave out the existence of the Postscript driver (as in the case of the 6180 support page).

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms