11-02-2018

CH

6 Signins

92 Page Views

• Views: 92
  • Message 1 of 6

Lenovo P51 charching problem

2018-11-02, 14:51 PM

My Lenovo P51 charges when it is switched on no more.
When I shut it down, remove the battery, plug in the power cord, and then reinsert the battery, it charges again.
But as soon as I restart the laptop, it stops charging.

I already uninstalled the battery driver, reinstalled it when restarting, but it didn't help.

Solved! See the solution
Options

2395 Posts

06-13-2013

US

10772 Signins

57846 Page Views

• Views: 57846
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo P51 charching problem

2018-11-02, 23:35 PM

In theory, the battery only charges when its level goes below the "low threshhold" (e.g. 80%) and the laptop is plugged into power.

And it stops charging when it reaches the "high threshhold" (e.g. 95%).  It shouldn't continue charging up to 100% (unless that's what you have set as the "high threshhold"), assuming the low/high power management is working properly.

If when the machine is powered on the battery level is somewhere between low/high threshhold values, there will be NO CHARGING.  Again, it only starts charging if the battery level runs down BELOW the "low" threshhold value, and then continues charging until the battery level reaches the "high" threshhold value, at which point charging stops.  There will never be charging initiatiated as long as the current battery level is between the low and high threshhold values.

Assuming the latest Lenovo Power Management Driver is installed on your machine, here is a Registry update which will allow you to set your own "low" and "high" threshholds, and activate the charging logic based on these threshholds, which is how things should work.  On occasion a Windows or random driver update will disable this functionality and charging once started will simply disregard stopping at the "high" threshhold and just go all the way up to 100%, in contradiction to what is supposed to happen.  All you have to do is then re-run this Registry update to return power management behavior to what I've described above.

Note that in my REG file I've set low threshhold to 80% and high threshhold to 96% (which in actuality is effectively 95%).  Also note from the comments in the REG file that you must modify it to have the serial number of the particular battery in your laptop, as that is what the power management driver Registry entry shows.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lenovo\PWRMGRV\ConfKeys\Data]
"ChargeStartControl"=dword:00000001
"ChargeStopControl"=dword:00000001
"ChargeStartPercentage"=dword:00000050 ;=80% feel free to change this value. just make sure it same across all 3 sections
"ChargeStopPercentage"=dword:00000060 ;=96% you can also change this as you wish

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lenovo\PWRMGRV\Data]
"ChargeStartPercentage"=dword:00000050
"ChargeStopPercentage"=dword:00000060

;you have to replace last part of this string by your battery serial number
;you can find this number in your registry or in "Lenovo Settings" app - under battery details ("Bar-Code Number")
;example: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lenovo\PWRMGRV\ConfKeys\Data\1ZS424BK05M] 
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lenovo\PWRMGRV\ConfKeys\Data\X1XP5AP025B]
"ChargeStartPercentage"=dword:00000050
"ChargeStopPercentage"=dword:00000060

; Edited by:
; Adam, in-ear.com 
; Headphone Experts 
Options

4 Posts

11-02-2018

CH

6 Signins

92 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2018-11-04, 21:33 PM

Thank you very much for your quick answer.

I'd like to try this out, but I have to be fair. I have no Idea how I am able to make this in the Registry Editor.

An I have to add, that my battery isn't loading from 0-100 % when Plugged in.
As soon as I shut off my Laptop he starts charging again.

Options

7891 Posts

01-13-2008

US

76958 Signins

2166813 Page Views

• Views: 2166813
  • Message 4 of 6

2018-11-04, 21:34 PM

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

2395 Posts

06-13-2013

US

10772 Signins

57846 Page Views

• Views: 57846
  • Message 5 of 6

2018-11-04, 22:17 PM

wrote:

I'd like to try this out, but I have to be fair. I have no Idea how I am able to make this in the Registry Editor.

An I have to add, that my battery isn't loading from 0-100 % when Plugged in.
As soon as I shut off my Laptop he starts charging again.

You need to create a text file of some name with .REG as the extension, in order to then be able to "run" it by double-clicking on it with Windows File Explorer.  Alternatively, when you right-click on a REG file the popup menu will offer "MERGE" as the first option in the menu list, and this is equivalent to double-clicking to open/run it.  There will then be a message box from Windows warning you about continuing and asking for your permission to proceed.  You push OK and it will instantly complete. 

So SELECT ALL of the lines of code that I've provided above, and then right-click on the selected lines and COPY to the clipboard.  Then open NOTEPAD to create a new text file, right-click and PASTE all the lines from the the clipboard. As I pointed out in the comments in the file, you have to change the value which is the serial number of your battery, to whatever is the serial number of your battery. If you have the Lenovo Power Manager Driver installed, there should be a key in the Registry providing the serial number of your battery.  To find that value, run REGEDIT and then navigate to \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lenovo\PWRMGRV\ConfKeys\Data\ and you should then see a folder below it with a name providing the serial number of your battery.  This is value you must insert into the code file I provided.  

If you don't change anything else you will get my low/high threshhold limits, of 80%/95%.  Again, there will be NO CHARGING when the current battery charge level is anywhere between these two limits.  If you pull the power cable out and let the machine discharge below the low limit, when you plug it back in charging will start and continue up to the high threshhold limit... and then stop charging.

Then FILE -> SAVE AS... and give it any name you want with an extension of REG (e.g. PowerMgr.reg). You can save it on your desktop or to any other place you want  Then close Notepad.

Then open File Explorer and navigate to where you just saved PowerMgr.reg, right-click on it and select MERGE (or just double-click on it), to run it.  Reply OK to the confirmation, and you're done.

If you've never run REGEDIT before or if you're just uncomfortable about playing with the Registry, just forget this whole story and don't do what I'm offering.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

4 Posts

11-02-2018

CH

6 Signins

92 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2018-11-05, 7:50 AM
Thank you very much

I could already solove the problem by disable the Flightmode energy saving in the Lenovo Settings App.

When I did that over the Energy Settings by the Laptop itself nothing happened but as soon as I disabled the Flightmode in the App, it startet charching again.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save