Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

03-05-2020

United States of America

7 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 1 of 7

Lenovo P53 20QN - charger not recognized, only charges when computer off, does not charge while on

2020-03-05, 22:03 PM

Hi, I just purchased a P53 and I'm having trouble with the chargers. The computer does not charge if turned on. It will only charge if off. 

I followed the instructions in this thread, which appears to be the same issue:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile-Workstations/Incorrect-AC-adapter-is-attached-UNSOLVABLE/m-p/4362356?page=1#4612053

But, it did not fix my computer. Now, the warning that pops up when I plug in the charger doesn't show up, but the battery is still not charging. When I restart the computer I still receive a message that says something along the lines of (paraphrasing): 

this charger is too weak and will not charge your computer. Use the charger that was shipped with your computer. 

The thing is, I was using the 230W charger that came with it. I had also purchased a backup 135W charger. It gives me the same issue as the 230W. It's almost like the internal power port connection is not very good, like a bad solder job or bad wiring. Either that, or it has Corona Virus.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Darren

PS. I'll try and get a pic of the error itself. That should be helpful. ;)

System Information
Options

12313 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40494 Signins

427304 Page Views

• Views: 427304
  • Message 2 of 7

Re:Lenovo P53 20QN - charger not recognized, only charges when computer off, does not charge while on

2020-03-05, 22:21 PM

Not a solder job.  It sounds to me like the power circuitry isn't correctly evaluating the signal lead.  Are you still under warranty.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

4 Posts

03-05-2020

United States of America

7 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

Re:Lenovo P53 20QN - charger not recognized, only charges when computer off, does not charge while on

2020-03-06, 17:10 PM

Hi Rich, 

It's definitely under warranty. It arrived fresh from China a few days ago. I logged into the Lenovo website and it completed a scan. the results say I'm in need of some critical updates. 

I'm going to let that run and see if that fixes it. I'll let you know how things go. Thank you for responding.

All the best,

Darren

Options

12313 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40494 Signins

427304 Page Views

• Views: 427304
  • Message 4 of 7

2020-03-07, 4:27 AM

make sure you have the latest bios

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

4 Posts

03-05-2020

United States of America

7 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2020-03-07, 9:52 AM

It won't let me update the BIOS without a charger attached, even though a charger is attached. 

Luckily, I upgraded to on-site repairs, so the tech should be coming out to fix it.

Kind of frustrating to pay a premium price for a high-end machine, and have it damaged right out of the box. Funny thing is, same thing happened with my T530. The camera connector kept unplugging itself. Luckily, a small dab of adhesive solved that problem. That machine's been running strong for 10 years. 

Options

5 Posts

11-30-2019

Slovenia

5 Signins

52 Page Views

• Views: 52
  • Message 6 of 7

2020-03-10, 19:43 PM

Same issue on P52 (https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile-Workstations/P52-Bricked/m-p/5001455) was solved by replacing the motherboard. Yes, it sounds absurd to me as well, I tried to figure out if I could borrow a docking station to check if I could upgrade BIOS using an alternative charger, but I could not easily find one, so I went with montherboard replacement.

Options

4 Posts

03-05-2020

United States of America

7 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2020-03-11, 7:29 AM

So, there's been a deveopment. I attempted the "remove battery/hold power for 30 seconds" suggestion in another thread. This time, it worked. But, only for the 230W charger. The 135W charger is still recognized as too weak. I was told by tech support that there's a problem with the board. I received the replacement in the mail and am going to schedule a time with the repair person. Hopefully, it will work. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thank you for your help,

Darren

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms