Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

134 Posts

06-29-2008

Australia

365 Signins

1652 Page Views

• Views: 1652
  • Message 1 of 2

Lenovo Platform Service rootkit

2016-09-19, 3:34 AM

Hi,

I just rebooted my computer to find the 'Lenovo Platform Service' using 100% cpu. It's been doing this for about an hour now. I am trying to do work that is actually computationally intensive so this is kind of irritating. 

The first question is Is it safe to remove? And how can I remove it?

The second question is how did this get here? I'm a bit annoyed as I never installed this (I'm not a big believer in OEM bloatware, particularly in the case of Lenovo given the various security debacles) so I'm just wondering how this ended up on my machine.

Is is this? I do recall reading about this but from the Lenovo Statement and my previous queries in this forum I had gotten the impression that my W540 would not be affected. However there have been a few security issues so perhaps I have gotten them all mixed up.

Historically I didn't pay any much attention to the security issues as I always considered myself aloof as I did not use the OEM install. I guess the issue is that my threat model did not take into account gettinng rooted  by the actual vendor I was purchasing from.

Does anybody know the possible avenues that this could have gotten into my system and the steps I can take to remove it?

Thanks! 

Options

5477 Posts

04-25-2008

United States of America

39797 Signins

761375 Page Views

• Views: 761375
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Lenovo Platform Service rootkit

2016-09-19, 3:45 AM

Hi adante!

Take a look at this thread, update your Power Management Driver, and report back.

Hope this helps!

USB-C: Just cos it fits don't mean it works.
I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms