Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

02-06-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 1 of 38

Lenovo System Update Service (32 bit)

2021-02-06, 18:00 PM

It seems a process called "Lenovo System Update Service (32 bit)" is using 15 to 20% of my CPU continuously, and is causing my P52 to breath heavily (fans going constantly and loudly).  Now, I know how to disable the service, but this only stops it during my current usage.  when I reboot the service comes back on.  

Does anyone have any notion of what might be causing this?  I went and used Lenovo Vantage to make sure my machine is all up to date.  One of the updates it gave me was a BIOS update.  This did not change the behavior.  Right now I'm all up to date, so I don't know what this service is doing burning up so much CPU time.  

I also don't see a way to report this problem to Lenovo directly, so that is why I'm mentioning it here.  If it continues to be a problem then I will just start removing things like Lenovo vantage and anything else that might be the parent of this process from my computer until the problem stops so my computer will rest when not being used.  

Answer
Options

6940 Posts

10-29-2009

United States of America

17813 Signins

166187 Page Views

• Views: 166187

Re:Lenovo System Update Service (32 bit)

2021-02-11, 13:50 PM

But I am wandering why you are releasing a new version through a forum?

I can't tell if these are serious questions or not.  First thing you could check is that URL is coming from https://download.lenovo.com, next thing you could check is Lenovo signature on the file.  Anyway, this new version has since been linked on the support website here:  https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds012808-lenovo-system-update-for-windows-10-7-32-bit-64-bit-desktop-notebook-workstation

Replies(37)
Options

12689 Posts

11-30-2015

Philippines

7325 Signins

751135 Page Views

• Views: 751135
  • Message 2 of 38

2021-02-07, 9:51 AM

Hi IndianaBK,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

It would be expected that it runs continuously since it part of computing maintenance service.

System Update downloads software, driver and BIOS updates from a Lenovo server directly over the Internet without requiring specific user knowledge of where the package is located or if it is needed by the target system.

The benefit to help you keep your system up to date and secure are: -

Provides a direct connection to Lenovo server and support for ThinkPad and ThinkCentre drivers, software and BIOS updates. -

Helps maximize your system performance and minimize security vulnerability.

If you feel that you are just ok without them, then you can decide to disable it along with other Lenovo offered apps services.

Doing a clean boot also helps you lessen system workloads.

I hope this helps answer your query.

Regards,

spidey101

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

34 Posts

10-03-2011

MD, US

42 Signins

309 Page Views

• Views: 309
  • Message 3 of 38

2021-02-07, 14:12 PM

"It would be expected that it runs continuously since it part of computing maintenance service."

No, that's incorrect. To use a car analogy, that's like saying it's normal that your engine is always revving to the red line (even when idle/stopped) because the engine control unit is maintaining the proper function of the engine.

The original poster does not realize that "15-20%" of his CPU really means that one entire CPU core is being "eaten" by this System Update service. I am experiencing the same issue, as are dozens of other posters on Reddit and here in this forum. The reason it comes up as 15% is because that's approximately the inverse of the number of logical threads on the CPU. Example: 2 cores or 4 threads (with Hyperthreading) = 1/4 = 25%. 4 cores or 8 threads with HT = 1/8 = 12.5%. The original poster might have a 6-core CPU with HyperThreading disabled to get to 15-20%, since 1/6 is 16.67%. Or the System Update service is using slightly more than one CPU core.

In any case, this is TOTALLY unacceptable. SUService.exe is supposed to run in the background, but the expectation of system services like this is that they should be idle nearly all of the time. A well-behaved background service will take up 0 to 1% of the CPU almost always, and only occupy a CPU core as intensively as this one is in case it's actually doing useful work (like updating your system). Those of us who are reporting this bug have confirmed that SUService.exe is not doing any meaningful work such as updating the system when this problem occurs.

If every system service occupied 15-20% of the CPU, the system would be completely unusable. There is no good reason you can give me that SUService.exe should fully utilize an entire CPU core 24/7. The difference in power consumption is like 90 watts vs. 15 watts normally on a 10th gen Core i9. You guys are literally wasting peoples' electricity.

This is a genuine bug and it needs to be fixed ASAP. If you continue to deny this, I will have no choice but to promote awareness of this until it reaches the front page of Reddit and Slashdot and embarrasses Lenovo in the tech press.

Options

5 Posts

02-06-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 4 of 38

2021-02-07, 22:28 PM

Indeed, I am not confused about what the process is supposed to be doing.  Nor am I concerned that it appears in the list of active tasks.  I expect it to be there.  The problem is that it is tying up so much CPU the capacity.  Enough that the cooling fans can be heard continuously until I stop the service.  The CAD software that I use the computer for doesn't even tax it so while using it.

Options

2 Posts

02-08-2021

Australia

4 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 5 of 38

2021-02-08, 13:42 PM

Just adding one more voice to report this problem in the hope that it'll be looked at. That service is consuming around 20% of my laptop's resources 24/7. Please fix it, or let us know where else we can report it.

There is a Reddit thread with many people reporting the same problem: https://www.reddit.com/r/Lenovo/comments/lc23dz/lenovo_system_update_driving_high_cpu_usage/

Options

6583 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

29032 Signins

1662678 Page Views

• Views: 1662678
  • Message 6 of 38

2021-02-08, 15:18 PM

Questions...

Are you all running the Lenovo Vantage application? Or are you all just running the separate System Update application?

Regards.

Community GuidelinesPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
Requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

5 Posts

02-06-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 7 of 38

2021-02-09, 0:13 AM

Looks like both System Update and Lenovo Vantage are on my computer as available apps to run.

Running as services I find one called "System Update", described as "Lenovo system update" (this is the offensive one that is using around 6% of my CPU right now), and another called "Lenovo Vantage Service".  I think I'll try just removing the System Update app and see if that gets rid of the aggressive background service.

Options

5 Posts

02-06-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 8 of 38

2021-02-09, 0:54 AM

That did it.  The resource hogging update service is gone.  Lenovo Vantage Service is still there, but it is taking up 0% of the CPU like a good background service should.  I'll accept this as my solution to the problem.

Options

2 Posts

02-08-2021

Australia

4 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 9 of 38

2021-02-09, 2:13 AM

I also end-tasked that program (Lenovo System Update Service) through task manager, and the CPU-hogging behaviour has not returned after a restart. 

Before killing it, the behaviour would persist across restarts, so it seems like the problem is also fixed for me.

Options

6583 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

29032 Signins

1662678 Page Views

• Views: 1662678
  • Message 10 of 38

2021-02-09, 4:55 AM

@ IndianaBK wrote:

That did it.  The resource hogging update service is gone.  Lenovo Vantage Service is still there, but it is taking up 0% of the CPU like a good background service should.  I' accept this as my solution to the problem.

Thanks for replying back with your results.

Happy this is moving in a positive direction.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
Requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)