Options

1 Posts

09-27-2020

US

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 1

Looking for debugging suggestions: ThinkPad P1 appears bricked after Sept BIOS upgrade

2020-09-28, 0:10 AM

2 year old machine, out of warranty. I got the Lenovo prompt today that it needs a BIOS upgrade (in Windows). Followed the instructions to make sure computer was fully charged, no applications running, and the BIOS upgrade appears to work properly in windows, rebooted and I watched the text BIOS update screen appear to complete. Then it rebooted to a completely blank screen. I left it there for a couple of hours just hoping it would complete something.

That's the last I saw anything on the screen. No beeps, no response to being turned off or on other than the power light lighting up indicating the status.

I found this in the Knowledge Base but hasn't solved it for me.

Here are the various things I've tried so far without success:

1. I've tried various key presses on boot (F1, F2, Shift, Windows Key)  to see if I can get it to bring up a BIOS screen but I also just get the black screen.
  2. I've tried holding the power button down for 30+ seconds to turn off to see if that might reset something but no change
  3. I've tried a pin in the "reset hole" on the bottom of the laptop which turns off the power but no change on reboot. I tried a short press, and a long 30 second press. No change
  4. I took off the bottom cover, unplugged the BIOS battery and main battery for 5 minutes. Pressed the BIOS reset button inside. Reconnected the plugs but same reset after trying the power.
  5. I tried running the power out of the main battery by leaving it on. When I plug it back in, the power button blinks 3 times, and the power "charge" light comes on near the plug, but the computer will not boot or blink.

Is there a manual way to update the BIOS to fix this even in this state? Unfortunately, I don't have a second Windows 10 machine which might be handy right now if I did.

Is there anything else I can do? Did the new BIOS update just brick my machine? 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete