Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

11-25-2021

Switzerland

1 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 1 of 4

Lenovo Vantage Updates are not remembered ..

2021-11-25, 9:46 AM

Hi

I'm using the Lenovo Vantage App and received a while ago notification of three possible updates. I did the updates, but when I'm running the system update check I'm shown the same updates again even the system says the the updates were successfully installed.

Machine is a W540 / Win 10 (latest updates)

Screenshots attached

any suggestion on how to solve the issue is appreciated.

best - Peter

Options

2910 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11500 Signins

63346 Page Views

• Views: 63346
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:Lenovo Vantage Updates are not remembered ..

2021-11-25, 9:54 AM

It may or may not make any difference (since underlying "System Update" is probably the same), but just to be sure:

Regarding Lenovo Vantage...

The old (pale blue icon) "Lenovo Vantage" has been withdrawn. This was typically pre-installed on Lenovo machines. But it is now obsolete. I don't think it was available way back when the W540 was released, so you must have installed it yourself sometime during the past 8-9 years. Nevertheless. that old "blue icon" Vantage is now obsolete and no longer supported.

Instead there is a new "Lenovo Commercial Vantage"  (with a new red Lenovo icon) which is the currently supported new version of the product. Click on the "application and deployment guide" URL link on that page, to download the installer ZIP package.

For sure you should deploy the new Commercial Vantage product as it is now the supported version (and compatible with MS's Win10 changes in 21H1/21H2 and Win11). Since the toolbar icon of the old Vantage is no longer supported by Microsoft, if you want an easy quick way to launch the new Commercial Vantage you simply must "pin to taskbar" for the new red logo item, and manually launch it that way with single-click off of the taskbar. Otherwise you can always just launch it from the Windows Start menu.

NOTE: when you unzip the Commercial Vantage installer package (downloaded from the above URL), there is an "uninstall- Vantage-v8" folder, and inside of it is an UNINSTALL.BAT file that you should "run as administrator" to remove the old Vantage product. Then reboot.

After rebooting, go to the LenovoCommercialVantage_10.2110.11.0_v1 folder and you should "run as administrator" the SETUP-COMMERCIAL-VANTAGE.BAT file to install the new Commercial Vantage product. Reboot one more time.

You can then run Lenovo Commercial Vantage and push the "check for system updates" button in the upper right corner. Install the important updates which are presented. This will ensure that the latest versions of any remaining drivers and software appropriate for your machine, both mandatory and optional, will be installed.

I would also recommend going into the Battery Settings of Lenovo Commercial Vantage, and activating the "charge threshhold" lower and upper limits. Again, I use 80% as the low limit and 95% as the high limit on my own P70 and W530 and T495 laptops, as well as a P73 and P17 I've configured for friends. I encourage them to use the AC adapter plugged in forever, unless they do need to run portable on battery-only for a special situation.

The new Commercial Vantage may or may not resolve your "updates are not remembered" problem, but it cannot be the wrong thing to do regardless of the outcome.

Options

5 Posts

11-23-2020

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

8 Signins

95 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 95
  • Message 3 of 4

2021-11-25, 23:00 PM

Hi, my P53s has also suffered this, with all previous updates gone from the Vantage screen. I looked into the new 'Red' Commercial Vantage and according to the article it is for IT administrators. Mine however is in a home setting and the Commercial Vantage page does still link to a page offering the 'Blue' Vantage. I thought the article offering the 'Blue' Vantage may be out of date but it was updated 10/11/2021 so is probably still relevant. So which one is best as the both seem relevant, available and just differ according to the person using them (i.e. business/home)

Options

2910 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11500 Signins

63346 Page Views

• Views: 63346
  • Message 4 of 4

2021-11-26, 0:19 AM

I think Lenovo poorly named the new product. I don't believe it has anything to do with "commercial use". It is in fact the current product with new standard red "L" icon to look like the rest of Lenovo products. It replaces the older product with the non-standard blue "L" icon which again I feel to be poorly named "Enterprise". Both products are for all Windows users, no matter what version of Windows is being used, including home, buisness, corporate, enterprise, IT, etc..

The new "commercial" Vantage is the current version that is now being maintained and is compatible with the latest Windows version 21H2 for both Win10 and Win11. Every Lenovo machine can install it. It was supposed to replace the previous "enterprise" Vantage that was decommitted back in March of 2021.

The new "red L" Commercial Vantage is what is available right now on the Microsoft Store, if you wanted to install it from scratch on a newly built system. However I don't know if you had the old "blue L" Vantage currently installed would the MS Store think you already had it installed and decline to install the new one? Or if it did go ahead because it decided you didn't have the program installed, would it first uninstall the old one before installing the new one? That uninstall MUST be performed first, as both of these versions cannot be installed simultaneously (as the old one will cause the new one to malfunction if both are installed simultaneously).

That's why in my instructions earlier I described how you were to use the Support-provided version (from that URL, not from the MS Store) and get it installed properly using the two-step process: (1) first uninstall the old Enterprise Vantage, and then (2) install the new Commercial Vantage. This technique will guarantee that you first fully remove the old product before you freshly install the new product.

NOTE: the "history" of all previously Vantage-applied updates is certainly interesting and informative. But it's not critical for Vantage to still be able to examine your CURRENT system and decide if any new updates are appropriate. This investigation of current system status can be done even in the total absence of previously applied update history, as it is based simply on a comparison of your currently installed software versions against the current reference. Whatever previously got applied and kept in a history log, well that's all well and good, but doesn't impact a current decision on whether or not anything newly released is applicable to your current system as it looks right now. So don't worry if you "lose history" about what was applied to your system in the past. Doesn't affect ongoing Vantage usability.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms