Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

07-19-2016

United States of America

1 Signins

18 Page Views

• Views: 18
  • Message 1 of 5

Lenovo p50 - External display won't work in mini Display Port

2016-07-19, 13:28 PM

Hello.

I got my Lenovo Thinkpad p50 with W10 about 3 weeks ago and have been using it with lots of success but just today I tried to connect a Dell U2414H conventional external display via mini Display Port and the laptop sounds once I plug the cable but then the external monitor goes to "Energy Saving Mode" and shows only black screen.

Looking inside the configuration at desk.cpl, both, integrated and external displays are shown but for the external display the fields of "Resolution", "Orientation" and "Advanced config" are grayed so I can't change anything.

Can anyone please help me with this?

Thanks in advance.

Options

21 Posts

08-15-2016

United States of America

21 Signins

203 Page Views

• Views: 203
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Lenovo p50 - External display won't work in mini Display Port

2016-08-15, 16:41 PM

I've experienced the same issue with HP LP2465 display.  My thoughts are that it's a Thunderbolt (v3) port vs Mini DisplayPort issue.  There have been a couple of BIOS updates since this was orginally posted, but that hasn't impacted what we're seeing.

I't currently my guess that the Thunderbolt port doesn't operate as a Mini Displayport (yet).

Options

21 Posts

08-15-2016

United States of America

21 Signins

203 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2016-09-06, 15:28 PM

Alfarocks,

I've been working with this issue some more, but haven't really made any difinitive headway.  I've tried both Mini-DisplayPort to VGA and DVI adapters, multiple adapters, two different vendors.  Sometimes, if I hold my tongue just right, it works.  Usually, it doesn't work.  It often recognizes that I've plugged an adapter in, but then doesn't actual turn up the data on the display.  I can use these same adapters on another laptop, and they work just fine.  The problem seems to either be Windows 10 or Lenovo; but it's hard to pin down which one.

It's definitely very aggravating when you want to simply add a second monitor in a situation and get extra use out of it and incrase your productivity.  I haven't broken down to get a USB-C to VGA/DVI adapater, but that might be my next step; but I shouldn't have to.

Options

2891 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11443 Signins

62786 Page Views

• Views: 62786
  • Message 4 of 5

2016-09-06, 18:04 PM

wrote:

Hello.

I got my Lenovo Thinkpad p50 with W10 about 3 weeks ago and have been using it with lots of success but just today I tried to connect a Dell U2414H conventional external display via mini Display Port and the laptop sounds once I plug the cable but then the external monitor goes to "Energy Saving Mode" and shows only black screen.

Looking inside the configuration at desk.cpl, both, integrated and external displays are shown but for the external display the fields of "Resolution", "Orientation" and "Advanced config" are grayed so I can't change anything.

Can anyone please help me with this?

Thanks in advance.

Are you running the BIOS setup as (a) hybrid graphics, i.e. Optimus mode using both Intel HD Graphics along with nVidia graphics as required, or (b) discrete graphics, i.e. nVidia graphics 100% for both laptop screen as well as external monitor?

If your setup is "hybrid", have you given "discrete" (i.e. nVidia-only) a try?  If not, I'd suggest it.

Also, what is your Windows desktop properties setup for the second monitor?  Right-click on desktop and select "screen resolution".  What does it show?

Are you running "extended desktop" (across both laptop screen and external monitor)?  Or are you configured for external monitor only, or maybe even laptop screen only (which of course would explain why the external monitor is not lighting up)?

Options

21 Posts

08-15-2016

United States of America

21 Signins

203 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2016-09-06, 18:51 PM
I've changed my settings in the BIOS to switch to Discrete instead of Hybrid. When I plugged a Lenovo (by chance) LCD in, it popped right up. (Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter.)

Before setting to Discrete mode, when you checked the Screen Resolution, the plugged in monitor simply didn't show up, and when you clicked "Detect" it wouldn't detect any additional monitors, (and the external monitor wouldn't come out of sleep mode), even though the laptop beeped to indicate it recognized that a device had been plugged in.

I couldn't extend the desktop, because the additional monitor wasn't showing up. However, now in Discrete mode, the external monitor (on this first test) perked right up. At first they mirrored, then I changed it to an extended desktop in the advanced screen resolution settings.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms