Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

08-27-2010

ohio

8 Signins

44 Page Views

• Views: 44
  • Message 1 of 7

Lenovo w510 will not boot after BIOS update

2012-10-25, 19:02 PM

Hi, 

This morning I used the windows bios update utility to update my Lenovo w510 type 4318. Everything appeared to have been successful until the machine rebooted. It froze on the lenovo splash screen with text saying to press the blue think vantage button for more options. 

I waited a good 30 minutes to make sure it wasn't processing anything before trying again. When frozen pressing the power button cause system to beep two times Pause and beep three more times. 

Called Lenovo support and was told since out of warranty (2/12) the onlyI option is for paid mail in repair at quoted maximum of $575. Needless to say I was very dissatisfied - and made this clear to support who informed there was no way to escalate and no other options. 

Does anyone have any other options or ability to escalate this case and keep a Lenovo customer. really disappointed 

Case #9026SN6

Btw, reason i updated bios to fix issue with usable ram showing 3 gb. 

Answer
Options

5 Posts

08-27-2010

ohio

8 Signins

44 Page Views

Re: Lenovo w510 will not boot after BIOS update

2012-11-19, 20:19 PM

FINAL SOLUTION:

I ended up getting a new computer from HP and have been very happy.

On a side note, a few days before this happened i recommended a lenovo workstation to a business partner and the system was shipped with a broken optical mouse (connector smashed) - in this case Lenovo support truly showed there ridiculousness.

The phone call to get the mouse replaced took 35 minutes and required 2 transfers. I was also surprised that they would pay to have the broken mouse sent back to them which seems like a complete waste of time and money. (can only imagine if issue was of a technical nature may take half a day to resolve)

Anyhow our Company will no longer purchase anything from Lenovo - Way to Go Lenovo Support Team you make the guys at Dell look VERY VERY good.

No marketing in the world could change my opinion at this ... Complete service failure.

BTW if anyone needs parts for their w510 let me know because i have a very expensive paperweight now ready for the landfill (thanks again).

Replies(6)
Options

21115 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Views: 444194
  • Message 2 of 7

2012-10-25, 21:48 PM
unplug the battery, power and cmos battery and wait for say 10 minutes, then plug back everything.

this would require a new motherboard, which won't be cheap.

sometimes it is safer to do the bios update outside of windows environment.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Options

2483 Posts

04-08-2011

United States of America

5471 Signins

46460 Page Views

• Views: 46460
  • Message 3 of 7

2012-10-26, 4:44 AM

wrote:

sometimes it is safer to do the bios update outside of windows environment.

NEVER use the .EXE method for a BIOS update.  Always use the .ISO and the CD/DVD boot method.  Never update after the warranty expires.

Options

5 Posts

08-27-2010

ohio

8 Signins

44 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2012-10-26, 22:12 PM

Thanks for the advice.

I tried the CMOS battery removal and unfortunately it had no affect.

This is what it does:

Press power button>Power light on, Camera light turns on then off real quick, cd-rom blinks, and get nothing at all on screen, completely black. Does not boot from cd but it does spin up a little.

Wish Lenovo would stand behind there product...

Options

5 Posts

08-27-2010

ohio

8 Signins

44 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2012-10-26, 22:55 PM

I now realize I should never have tried the update on an out-of-warranty computer, however, i followed all the PROVIDED instructions by the manufacturer and in doing so it resulted in a complete system loss.

These laptops are supposed to be "workstation" grade and built for years of reliability. There is no reason why a bios update (using either provided tool) should render my $2000 "enterprise" machine useless before 3 years of use.

If this happens and it is determined to be the fault of the Lenovo software or poor documetnation it should be your policy to "make things right". I can tell you it would NOT be a waste of lenovo's resources to fix my system. Helping a customer like me would turn a customer service disaster into a real Customer service VICTORY and avoid losing a long term customer.

I represent a business with over 500 workstations in service (mostly Dell and HP). Experiences like this are what drive our long term decisions and this story will no doubt be told to countless other IT pros, friends, and family however the result may be.

I am hoping Lenovo will come through here and sees the errors in there ways.

Answer
Options

5 Posts

08-27-2010

ohio

8 Signins

44 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2012-11-19, 20:19 PM

FINAL SOLUTION:

I ended up getting a new computer from HP and have been very happy.

On a side note, a few days before this happened i recommended a lenovo workstation to a business partner and the system was shipped with a broken optical mouse (connector smashed) - in this case Lenovo support truly showed there ridiculousness.

The phone call to get the mouse replaced took 35 minutes and required 2 transfers. I was also surprised that they would pay to have the broken mouse sent back to them which seems like a complete waste of time and money. (can only imagine if issue was of a technical nature may take half a day to resolve)

Anyhow our Company will no longer purchase anything from Lenovo - Way to Go Lenovo Support Team you make the guys at Dell look VERY VERY good.

No marketing in the world could change my opinion at this ... Complete service failure.

BTW if anyone needs parts for their w510 let me know because i have a very expensive paperweight now ready for the landfill (thanks again).

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

525 Posts

03-11-2009

Chicago, IL

300 Signins

14180 Page Views

• Views: 14180
  • Message 7 of 7

2012-11-22, 9:04 AM

Lenovo support is pretty atrocious. Perhaps you can find a replacement BIOS or motherboard on e-bay. I wouldn't toss the machine just yet. Good luck.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms