Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

10 Posts

02-20-2009

Amelia Island, Florida, USA

18 Signins

69 Page Views

• Views: 69
  • Message 1 of 4

Malfunctioning Hard Disk Controller in Bay 1

2009-02-20, 11:55 AM

I've been searching the forum for the last three weeks to see if someone else has had the same problem I'm having, but so far have not seen anything, so I'll describe my problem:

I have a W700, model number 2757-CTO, with 4 GB of memory, a quad-core processor, a 17" WUXGA screen, an nVidia Quadro FX 3700M video card, a Blu-ray burner (and Ultrabay hard disk bay as well) and 160 GB 7,200 rpm hard drives in both Bays 1 and 2, non-RAID; I ordered the computer with an XP SP2 image and I'm still running XP SP2.

The computer ran properly for a couple of months and then one day I started getting blue screens, spontaneous re-boots and error messages when I was trying to copy files from the hard disk in Bay 1 to an external drive.  I took the hard drive out of Bay 1 and put it in an external hard disk enclosure and it worked fine; ditto when I put it in the Ultrabay.  It seemed to me that there was a problem with the hard disk controller for Bay 1 and I arranged to have the computer sent back to Lenovo to have it repaired.

My eyebrows raised a little when I received the computer back with an explanation that no parts had been replaced, but with no other explanation of what had been done.  Also, the main drive had been re-imaged with Vista instead of XP.  So I called Lenovo technical support to find out what had been done to the computer and, after checking with a supervisor multiple times, the woman said that they had reset the memory boards and had reloaded the BIOS.  The only change I noticed in BIOS settings was that the SATA Controller Mode Option had been changed from AHCI to Compatibility; I wasn't sure why I couldn't have done both of those things without sending the computer in to the depot, so it seemed to me that a week had been wasted.  I wanted to continue to run XP, so I asked if there was any reason why I shouldn't be running XP on the machine (i.e., was the Vista image a hint?).  The woman I talked to could barely speak English and several times questioned whether I had ordered the computer with XP; that isn't something that I would make a mistake on and I didn't appreciate the third degree.  In any case, five days later I received an XP startup disk by UPS and loaded it on my computer.

After loading the XP software, I continued to get blue screens, controller error messages, parity error messages and paging error messages when accessing the drive in Bay 1.  I imaged the second hard drive as a bootable drive and tried both hard disks in both bays.  Both hard drives work fine in Bay 0 (no errors or blue screens), but neither of the hard drives works properly in Bay 1.  So it still seems to me that I have a bad hard disk controller in Bay 1.

I have two questions:  1) has anyone else had similar problems; and 2) is there some magical buzz word I need to use to get Lenovo to repair the hard disk controller?  It's been almost 3 weeks and I'm still at the starting gate.

Thanks.

dwalker1950

Options

9380 Posts

11-27-2007

Slovakia

15518 Signins

2040239 Page Views

• Views: 2040239
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Malfunctioning Hard Disk Controller in Bay 1

2009-02-20, 19:42 PM

dwalker1950, welcome to the forum,

I think you have done everything you can to provide Lenovo with evidence that the problem exists. Trying the drives in the different bays is IMHO pretty much irrefutable evidence.

I'd also let PC Doc test the system to see what it has to say, it might provide some more information. Regardless of the results I'd call service and explain, as you have here, what lengths you have gone to to diagnose the problem and hopefully they will then do the right thing and reair your system properly.

Hoping you get this sorted

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Options

10 Posts

02-20-2009

Amelia Island, Florida, USA

18 Signins

69 Page Views

• Views: 69
  • Message 3 of 4

2009-02-20, 21:32 PM

Thanks, Andy.  I will run it again; I ran PC Doctor before I sent the computer back to the depot the first time, but the test for the hard drive in Bay 1 caused a blue screen before the test completed.  However, the computer is less "brittle" since they changed the BIOS SATA controller mode option to "Compatibility", so I may be able to get some useful information now.

Thanks.

David

Options

9380 Posts

11-27-2007

Slovakia

15518 Signins

2040239 Page Views

• Views: 2040239
  • Message 4 of 4

2009-02-20, 22:46 PM

dwalker1950 wrote:

, but the test for the hard drive in Bay 1 caused a blue screen before the test completed. 

I hope you told them that, it sort of proves your point.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms