Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

33 Posts

03-28-2009

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

77 Signins

398 Page Views

• Views: 398
  • Message 1 of 6

Matrix Storage Console -- ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI -- driver update done, turbo memory disappeared?

2009-03-29, 15:01 PM

has anyone else done this update, with the anticipation of solving various freeze, lockup issues?

I got the driver update from the Intel site, and now turbo memory is all but vanished from my computer.

Let me know if there is any expertise out there, otherwise I will just go and get the latest Turbo memory driver and go from there..

B

Message Edited by bbojangles on 03-29-2009 08:20 AM
Message Edited by bbojangles on 03-29-2009 08:21 AM
Options

33 Posts

03-28-2009

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

77 Signins

398 Page Views

• Message 2 of 6

Re: ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI -- driver update done, turbo memory disappeared?

2009-03-29, 15:19 PM

when trying to re-install itm driver 1.8, it tries to put the Matrix storage console back to a previous version.

Sheesh... the old left hand does not know what the right hand is doing......

Options

524 Posts

02-17-2009

Vancouver Island

856 Signins

6208 Page Views

• Views: 6208
  • Message 3 of 6

Re: Matrix Storage Console -- ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI -- driver update done, turbo memory disappeared?

2009-03-30, 8:16 AM

Uh, be careful who you throw stones at.

There are multiple different versions of the Intel Matrix storage driver floating around.  Only one is intended for use in your (presumably 32 bit) W500.

The version that Lenovo has tested and released for the W500 is 8.6.3.1004 .  You can get this from the Lenovo W500 device driver file matrix, or by way of the Lenovo update tool.

Intel offers other versions of this software at the Intel website, but these have not been tested by Lenovo (or, perhaps they did test them, and they found out that they were not suitable for one reason or another).  Some of the versions available from the Intel website include 8.6.0.1007, and 8.8.0.1009.  Remember that Intel does not support specific applications of their hardware. 

You are correct, if you install 8.8.0.1009, you will no longer see any control panel for the Turbo Memory.  This is probably one of the reasons why Lenovo has not posted this driver on the W500 DDFM.

The Intel Matrix driver and the Turbo Memory driver are matched to each other by version number - there is a note to this effect on the Intel website.  This means you should only use a matched set.  If you download the  8.6.0.1007 version from Intel (not recommended) or the 8.6.3.1004 version from Lenovo (highly recommended), you will get a matched set.

If you have installed anything other than the Lenovo 8.6.3.1004 version, be aware that you have to remove both the Matrix driver and the Turbo Memory driver (whether you see a control panel or not, it will be there) by way of the "Programs and Features" control panel prior to installing the correct version.  This process will require multiple reboots, and will probably mess up your desktop icon organization.  Once you no longer see either Turbo Memory or Matrix storage driver listed in the "Programs and Features" list, you can then re-install the Lenovo 8.6.3.1004 version.

Michael

W520 (4270 CTO), which replaced a W500 (4062-27U), which replaced a T42P, which replaced an A21P...
Options

33 Posts

03-28-2009

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

77 Signins

398 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

Re: Matrix Storage Console -- ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI -- driver update done, turbo memory disappeared?

2009-03-30, 13:05 PM

I am throwing stones because my machine is a pain - freezing, crashing, etc at least daily. Lenovo is not terribly helpful, and Intel will not take responsibilty for their product. Intel says that Lenovo has to service what they sell. Intel's website refers compatibility to "chipsets" and even has a "chipset identifier" program to check what version is for what.

There are no cautions on the Intel about messing up turbo memory, and they (of all people) should know that they are directly linked.

THe chipset indentifier program does not work on my W500, and I cant find ANY numbers that can match me to their lists. It is entirely frustrating that such a simple process of getting updates for PROBLEMS... is so hard. It is like nobody has seen the apple vs PC ads. All i want is a computer that works like what I paid for. What chipset does this refer to anyway? is it a motherboard or CPU or what?

I dont take kindly to people chastising me for trying to find a solution to my machine, and reporting it. It is really not my job to do this, and the people whose job it is to do this - they need chastising.

I know perfectly well how to get the Lenovo drivers, but even with Lenovo, there is quite a delay between the website and System update.

I think that lenovo has shown themselves to be slow to react to problems and pulling a driver from INTEL is hardly an action of defiance.

Anyway, I think that Intel needs to get Storage Matrix and Turbo memory sorted out, and Lenovo needs to dig into it, maybe even pick up the phone and CALL INTEL, schedule  a meeting and get the right people talking to each other.

Message Edited by bbojangles on 03-30-2009 06:07 AM
Options

524 Posts

02-17-2009

Vancouver Island

856 Signins

6208 Page Views

• Views: 6208
  • Message 5 of 6

2009-03-30, 15:47 PM

Try removing the out-of-specification Matrix and Turbo Memory drivers from your laptop (as explained above), and installing the package from the Lenovo website.  (this link: Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver ).  After you have done this, you may need to go to the control panel for Turbo Memory and turn it on, although I think it is turned on by default when it is installed.

I think you will find that this solves the 'freeze' problem - it did for me.

W520 (4270 CTO), which replaced a W500 (4062-27U), which replaced a T42P, which replaced an A21P...
Options

33 Posts

03-28-2009

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

77 Signins

398 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2009-03-30, 17:16 PM
I have had that driver package installed and removed a few times. My freezing is worst with the 1.7 version of ITM, and only slightly better with 1.8. each of these come with a different MSC version. When I tried the latest version of MSC from Intel, the freezing seems to have stopped. two full days without a problem. The problem is that I dont know if it is the new MSC that is helping or the absence of ITM. It is hard to check this, That is why I think that Intel should have a way to run ITM with the new MSC.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms