Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

25 Posts

08-21-2009

California

49 Signins

724 Page Views

• Views: 724
  • Message 1 of 3

Move Q drive?

2009-08-21, 22:38 PM
I bought my W700 with a 64GB SSD as the primary drive. I was more than a little dismayed to see Lenovo used over 11GB of this rather precious resource for service and recovery partitions. After installing just a few applications I was down to less than 12GB free on the C: partition and Vista seemed to be chewing up more disk space by the minute. It was clear I could never get all the stuff I wanted on this drive, so I added a 320GB drive to the second drive bay. I've been installing all new applications to this drive. Even with the big new drive, the space on the C: partition is still a precious resource and it's still dwindling. What I'd like to do is move the Q: partition to the new drive and expand the C: partition to use that additional space. I know it can technically be done, but I'm not sure if the recovery would still work with the Q: partition physically on the second drive. Has anyone successfully moved the Q: partition to a second drive? I know I can create backup CDs/DVDs and remove the Q: partition, but I kind of like the idea of being able to restore the system if needed without having to drag along a bunch of CDs/DVDs. I don't hate the Q: partition, I just want it to live on less expensive real estate.
Options

59 Posts

08-03-2008

Saint-Martin - Guadeloupe (GMT -4)

73 Signins

658 Page Views

• Views: 658
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Move Q drive?

2009-08-29, 14:29 PM

Hello,

You can't move, resize or make any modification on the Q partition or it will not work any more.

T61P 6460DVU - XP PRO - 3 Gb ram - 320 Gb Hd - 15,4" display
W700 27584SU - SEVEN PRO - 4 Gb ram - 2x320 Gb hd raid 0 - 17" display
Options

28 Posts

07-22-2009

USA

43 Signins

748 Page Views

• Views: 748
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Move Q drive?

2009-08-31, 7:29 AM

Jay::

Here some things I did to my W500 ( with SSD) ,,,,,,,,Most of these item I have complied myself as a result of Using THINKPADs since t20( ok ok so all you guys know am an OLD FART)

((W500CTO , with vista64 and 2GB Ram+ Turbo , Blueray ,etc))  

here are the steps::

1) the factory SSD ( at receipt of laptop) is coppied to a normal SATA_II drive (before even register etc ,,, )

( i copy the drive using ACRONIS and copy the SSD even BEFORE REGISTERING...........i just take out the 

drive ,  SETUP a usb copy using a Windows Vista on an older thinkpad)

2) Store the factory hard drive in safe place

3) get/order from tech-support a WINDOWS VISTA64bit  Recoery Dvd ...............( getting this DVD = cleaner and

less JUNK  ie - no office no other extra junk that you get for trials etc etc)

4) install NEW OS on 2nd Drive ( have to purchase Ultrabay drive adaptor) .....

5) AFTER INSTALL , REGISTER laptop WITH ibm/lenovo  ETC ETC

6) COPY the "2nd" hard drive to SSD ( remember not to copy the "Q' partition ( there is no need for this 'recovery' partition sicne you already ahve the Dvd for OS !!

7) enjoy the super speed SSD with ULTIMATE SPEED

Hope this helps

Mike

Final RIG configurations::

W500 , with upgraded CPU ( 3,06)  ,

8GB DDR3- 1333- SUPER SPEED RAM = CAS=5

Turbo memory = 4GB ( same speed as above - non factory option - manually installed )

Blueray Drive.......

Dual SSD , RAID 0  ( yes w 500 does have RAID options and lenovo dont tell you that)

Windows Vista 64Bit  (desktop in under 15sec),

Ubuntu Desktop - boot via USB stick

32GB HIGH speed USB stick for Fast boot Ubuntu Linux (boots in under 20sec)

Runs various 64 bit apps , Including CS4 , AutoCAD ,  in true 64 bit)

1TB eSATA storage  , Firewire also used for File tranfer etc can tranfer blueray (50GB) in under 60sec

Thinkpads - W;X &T Series (work)
Home- T60p;T43p;T20
few others
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms