Options

2 Posts

09-28-2012

US

6 Signins

67 Page Views

• Views: 67
  • Message 1 of 4

NVidia and Intel Video (Combined) Drivers Won't Install via Thin Installer on P1/P52 - Discrete Mode

2019-10-04, 18:51 PM

When trying to install the NVidia and Intel Video Drivers (ver. 26.21.14.3140) for both the P1 and P52 via Thin Installer, it will not install the driver if the BIOS is in Discrete Graphics mode.  However, it will install if in Hybrid Graphics mode.  While looking at the Thin Installer logs it states that it found the NVidia card and recognized that the driver needed to be updated.  But it failed because it did not find the Intel card.  This is because in Hybrid mode, both the NVidia and Intel cards show as present in Device Manager.  When in Discrete Mode, only the NVidia card shows as present.  The Intel card is nonexistent.

The driver for both the P52 (20MA) and P1 (20ME) were pulled down with the latest version of Update Retriever.  When looking at the properties of both updates and the operators used in the XML files, it is clear that it is using the AND operator in the Detection portion.  Meaning both NVidia AND Intel both need to be detected.  This is problematic because "AND" will fail when using Discrete Graphics.  The Intel card is nonexistent in this mode as previously stated.

I tried editing the XML file and changing it to OR, but it did not work.  I probably missed something in the other sections.  What did finally work was to rip out all references to the Intel (8086) card and remove unnecessary operators in the XML file.  In other words, I made it only reference the NVidia card with no regard for the Intel card.  This is only a workaround and one I hope I only have to do it once.  What I would like to see is future releases of drivers that have NVidia and Intel Video Drivers to be intelligent enough that if one or the other is not found in the detection portion, that it would proceed with updating the one that it does find and not error out.

Update Retriever Version 5.00.0063

Thin Installer Version 1.3.0007

Options

331 Posts

07-08-2019

CA

463 Signins

6583 Page Views

• Views: 6583
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: NVidia and Intel Video (Combined) Drivers Won't Install via Thin Installer on P1/P52 - Discrete

2019-10-04, 22:20 PM

Hi!

If I read correctly, what you are saying is that none of the Graphics drivers install with ThinInstaller if the BIOS is set to dGPU? I can understand the Intel driver not installing (as the Intel GPU is deactivated and invisible to the system), but the nVidia driver is obviously meant to install?

If so, it's a bad detection issue? Did you try to raise the issue with Official support? It could be faster than here...

Martin

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

I'm a volunteer, NOT a Lenovo employee.
If I solved your issue, please click Accept as a Solution.
If my post helped, consider giving me a Thumbs Up.

Main: P52 (I7-8750H P1000 FHD 16GB 512GB-SSD 1TB-HDD)
Also, 2x M820z, 1x P520c, 1x ideaCentre 300S-11IBR

Options

2 Posts

09-28-2012

US

6 Signins

67 Page Views

• Views: 67
  • Message 3 of 4

Re: NVidia and Intel Video (Combined) Drivers Won't Install via Thin Installer on P1/P52 - Discrete

2019-10-08, 12:34 PM

ve2mrx,

Thanks for the reply.  You read it correctly.  It has to do with the AND operator in the detection section.  It has to be an OR else it will never pass detection when in dGPU.

My purpose in posting here was to (1) bring some awareness to the issue, (2) provide a workaround to those facing the same issue and (3) see if others have ran into similar issues and what the fix has been.

I will contact official support as you suggest as well.  Ultimately I hope this is ironed out in the future and not an issue moving forward.

Options

331 Posts

07-08-2019

CA

463 Signins

6583 Page Views

• Views: 6583
  • Message 4 of 4

2019-10-08, 14:18 PM

Well, I appreciate your gesture. I'm a bit surprised as IT folks should have hit the issue somehow and complained, but the issue is there...

Maybe it's only in recent drivers, or there are few installations with dGPU set in BIOS?

Anyway, there is now a public record of this bug!

Thanks!

Martin,

...who roams the forums looking for potential issues on his set of machines ;-)

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

I'm a volunteer, NOT a Lenovo employee.
If I solved your issue, please click Accept as a Solution.
If my post helped, consider giving me a Thumbs Up.

Main: P52 (I7-8750H P1000 FHD 16GB 512GB-SSD 1TB-HDD)
Also, 2x M820z, 1x P520c, 1x ideaCentre 300S-11IBR

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save