Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

31 Posts

05-30-2011

Canada

97 Signins

308 Page Views

• Views: 308
  • Message 1 of 20

Nearly new Laptop in for repair, comes back broken, no help from Lenovo.

2011-05-30, 16:50 PM

In February of this year I purchased a built to order Lenovo Thinkpad W510. It's a beautiful machine, and I was overwhelmingly satisfied for until about two weeks ago when the screen randomly went berserk, crazy flashing and horizontal lines all over the place. I called Lenovo support and was directed to take it to a local dealer, Express Computers. I did so the following Tuesday, as it was a long weekend, so even the day I dropped it off to be fixed I had already been without the use of my PC which is critical for my business.

Express Computers told me that it would be ready for pickup in three days, and that they would call me when they had diagnosed the problem. They never called, so I called them and they told me they were having difficulties because Lenovo was saying the screen must have been physically damaged. I treat this computer like a baby, it doesn't even have scratch on it let alone any damage to the screen.

I called Lenovo to inquire and they said they knew nothing about this, and I should have the repair shop call them. I did so, and the repair shop called me back and claimed that it was another department at Lenovo giving them trouble and but as a courtesy they would order the part and replace the screen anyway. At this point they explained that the reason they suspected physical damage was because some kind of metal bezel around the screen was all bent. I can only assume this was done during manufacturing, because it most certainly was not done by me.

The next day, which was Friday they called the say my computer was ready for pickup. I had now been without my computer for 6 days and unable to conduct any business activities (I am a web designer and photographer).

I took the laptop home, and it worked properly for about an hour before the screen went berserk again. I am now without my computer for a second weekend, and who knows how long I will be without it next week.

I took the laptop back to the repair shop today and they acted confused, insisted they replaced the screen and suggested I should be given a new PC by lenovo.

I was very happy with this computer, but unless Lenovo fixes this issue NOW, and apologizes to me for suggesting I damaged the computer myself, and makes it up to me somehow, I will NEVER purchase another Lenovo product, and do my best to ensure no one I know does either. 

Moderator edit: Treat others with respect per the Community Rules. Removed a comment.

Options

31 Posts

05-30-2011

Canada

97 Signins

308 Page Views

• Message 2 of 20

Re: Nearly new Laptop in for repair, comes back broken, no help from Lenovo.

2011-05-30, 22:02 PM

Does anyone even read this forum?

Options

11 Posts

05-30-2011

placeville

6 Signins

78 Page Views

• Views: 78
  • Message 3 of 20

2011-05-30, 22:13 PM

there's no doubt that something went wrong while manufacturing yours, but it sounds like most of the problem comes from your local dealer

Options

31 Posts

05-30-2011

Canada

97 Signins

308 Page Views

• Message 4 of 20

2011-05-31, 0:15 AM

Well I'd hardly say that excuses Lenovo, unless they are washing their hands of responsilbility to the way their local dealers operate.

Options

325 Posts

10-26-2008

Los Angeles

539 Signins

7524 Page Views

• Views: 7524
  • Message 5 of 20

2011-05-31, 3:59 AM

Jtimar, to escalate your case and improve your chance of getting the proper repair, see:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/Lenovo-service-broke-my-hard-drive/m-p/254807#M10136

Good luck! 

Options

31 Posts

05-30-2011

Canada

97 Signins

308 Page Views

• Message 6 of 20

2011-05-31, 22:08 PM

Thanks Jimbo.

I read your thread, although I don't think its gonna make a difference at this point. The laptop is in for the second time, and they told me it would be ready this morning and I just called and its still isn't done. Once the laptop is back in my hands I will be giving them a piece of my mind, and if its still broken this time I will be taking it elsewhere.

I hate Macs, but the one thing I envy about Mac users is how easy it is to get them serviced. No screwing around will third parties to screw everything up.

Options

31 Posts

05-30-2011

Canada

97 Signins

308 Page Views

• Message 7 of 20

2011-06-01, 1:15 AM
Well now the repair shop is giving up and sending it directly to a Lenovo depot. Thanks a lot Lenovo for selling me a Lemon and then screwing me around for weeks on end. Worst customer support ever.I will NEVER buy another Lenovo product.
Options

31 Posts

05-30-2011

Canada

97 Signins

308 Page Views

• Message 8 of 20

2011-06-01, 3:46 AM

It's nice that Lenovo actually cares enogh about their garbage to actually read and respond to these threads.

Moderator edit: Treat others with respect per the Community Rules. Removed a comment.

Options

5656 Posts

04-25-2008

United States of America

40107 Signins

771677 Page Views

• Views: 771677
  • Message 9 of 20

2011-06-01, 5:17 AM

Remember that this is a user-to-user support community, and it is moderated by volunteers like me. Although there is some Lenovo presence, they can't read and respond to every post. They do try to help with some of the broader issues. Your best approach is to work with Lenovo support.

USB-C: Just cos it fits don't mean it works.
I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Options

31 Posts

05-30-2011

Canada

97 Signins

308 Page Views

• Message 10 of 20

2011-06-01, 9:14 AM

I do not think it is disresprectful to point out that the country in question has a well deserved bad repuation when it comes to the quality of its manufactured goods.

Just saying.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms