01-23-2018

KR

24 Signins

194 Page Views

• Views: 194
  • Message 1 of 1

New P51 no longer boots to Windows after replacing 2nd HDD by SSD

2018-01-23, 8:52 AM

I just got my new P51 as a replacement for my Ideapad Y560P which was a great machine.

As I unboxed it, it took an hour or so to install and update Windows 10 Pro.

My system as 512GB SSD M2 drive + 1TB HDD.

I assumed that Windows 10 would have been installed on the SSD, and replaced the 1TB HDD by a 1TB SSD.

However, after this, the laptop boots to the Boot Menu, showing the 2 drives., the SSD is listed first, but it no longer boots to Windows.

I checked the HDD I removed by mounting it as a USB drive on another laptop and found that it is empty!?

When I put the original HDD in, W10 booted again, and I can confirm that Windows is installed on the 512GB drive, i.e. on the M.2 SSD.  When leaving the original HDD out, (so only M.2 remains), my laptop boots to Windows 10 OK.

What is happening??  Why does the replacement of the other drive result in the boot menu, and no windows boot? I can't get out of this boot screen, without coming back to it.

UPDATE: I found the problem + Solution. My old SSD had an Windows 7 OS on it. Because Secure Boot was enabled in the BIOS this was not allowed. I disabled Secure Boot and then all worked again.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete