Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

07-28-2021

United States of America

3 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 1 of 4

New SSD is can't start Windows 10

2021-07-28, 5:51 AM

Last year I bought a used ThinkPad P50 Xeon with a 256 Gb stock SSD stock from Lenovo. I used it for about a year until it was full of programs that I needed for my engineering classes. So I went on Amazon and bought a 512 Gb Sabrent Rocket Q NVMe PCIe 3.0 drive to add to the empty M.2 slot in my laptop. When I installed the drive, I was able to clone my old drive to my new one. But When I try to boot from it, the windows logo shows up and disappears for a few seconds, but never gets to the lock screen. If I move my mouse around, it will show up with a blue loading circle going around. I have left it in this state for a couple hours at a time, and it never moves on. If I put my old drive back in, it boots up with no problem. Can someone tell me what I did wrong?

Answer
Options

2810 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11389 Signins

61996 Page Views

• Views: 61996

Re:New SSD is can't start Windows 10

2021-07-28, 13:28 PM

Do you have BOTH the original 256GB drive still in NVMe0 bay, as well as the new 512GB drive in NVMe1 bay?  If so, have you changed the BIOS Startup boot device sequence to point to the drive on NVMe1 instead of the one on NVMe0?

Are you planning on leaving both drives in the machine, making the new 512GB one in NVMe1 the system drive and re-purposing the original 256GB drive in NVMe0 for "data"? That's certainly doable, and obviously worthwhile. If/when you are ready to do that I would suggest using Minitool Partition Wizard Free to delete out all the partitions on the 256GB drive and create one or two new ones. At the very least you might use this re-purposed 256GB drive as a "backup" drive.

In passing, I strongly recommend that you forget about whatever your current issue is resulting from using whatever software Sabrent provided, and instead re-clone your original drive to the new drive all over again but this time using Macrium Reflect Free. It is widely regarded as the best and easiest most intuitive utility product for both "cloning" as well as "system image backup". Guaranteed 100% you will emerge successfully cloned to the new drive. Of course you still must change the BIOS Startup boot device sequence to point to NVMe1. Don't leave it pointing to "Windows Boot Manager" if you have both the original drive and new drive (now cloned from the original) simultaneously installed and you have not yet wiped clean the original drive and re-partitioned it for "data". The machine will be confused, because you have a Windows Boot Manager on two drives.  Change the boot device list to actually point to NVMe1 as the first device (or maybe the second or third after USB devices, so that you can automatically boot to a USB flash drive if inserted without requiring the use of F12).

Or, you can also buy the reasonably priced but non-free Home edition of Macrium Reflect for additional functionality like folder/file "data" backups, etc.

Once you're up and running from the new 512GB drive you can also use Macrium Reflect Free to take regular "system image" backups (e.g. to your re-purposed 256GB drive still in NVMe0 which you're now going to use as a second "data" drive).

Replies(3)
Options

2834 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

326 Signins

14351 Page Views

• Views: 14351
  • Message 2 of 4

2021-07-28, 9:48 AM

Hi ironisblack,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Are you booting up with both SSD's ? If yes, then try booting with the new 512GB only. If still no go, then I'd try to re-image/clone the device again, as something might have gone wrong during the first time, or perform a Fresh Install of Windows on the 512GB, and move the data from the 256gb over the old way.

Hope this helps

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Answer
Options

2810 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11389 Signins

61996 Page Views

• Views: 61996
  • Message 3 of 4

2021-07-28, 13:28 PM

Do you have BOTH the original 256GB drive still in NVMe0 bay, as well as the new 512GB drive in NVMe1 bay?  If so, have you changed the BIOS Startup boot device sequence to point to the drive on NVMe1 instead of the one on NVMe0?

Are you planning on leaving both drives in the machine, making the new 512GB one in NVMe1 the system drive and re-purposing the original 256GB drive in NVMe0 for "data"? That's certainly doable, and obviously worthwhile. If/when you are ready to do that I would suggest using Minitool Partition Wizard Free to delete out all the partitions on the 256GB drive and create one or two new ones. At the very least you might use this re-purposed 256GB drive as a "backup" drive.

In passing, I strongly recommend that you forget about whatever your current issue is resulting from using whatever software Sabrent provided, and instead re-clone your original drive to the new drive all over again but this time using Macrium Reflect Free. It is widely regarded as the best and easiest most intuitive utility product for both "cloning" as well as "system image backup". Guaranteed 100% you will emerge successfully cloned to the new drive. Of course you still must change the BIOS Startup boot device sequence to point to NVMe1. Don't leave it pointing to "Windows Boot Manager" if you have both the original drive and new drive (now cloned from the original) simultaneously installed and you have not yet wiped clean the original drive and re-partitioned it for "data". The machine will be confused, because you have a Windows Boot Manager on two drives.  Change the boot device list to actually point to NVMe1 as the first device (or maybe the second or third after USB devices, so that you can automatically boot to a USB flash drive if inserted without requiring the use of F12).

Or, you can also buy the reasonably priced but non-free Home edition of Macrium Reflect for additional functionality like folder/file "data" backups, etc.

Once you're up and running from the new 512GB drive you can also use Macrium Reflect Free to take regular "system image" backups (e.g. to your re-purposed 256GB drive still in NVMe0 which you're now going to use as a second "data" drive).

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

2 Posts

07-28-2021

United States of America

3 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 4 of 4

2021-07-28, 17:38 PM

Thank yo so much for the help, I had already tried cloning the drive again using the Sabrent software but had the exact same problem, Using the Macrium tool you suggested fixed my problem instantly. Thanks

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms